Groups
    EXPIRED

Where can I buy cheap nuts?

Looking to buy Pistachios, Cashew, Walnuts. Can anyone point me to somewhere cheap? I doubt my current source, Tesco, is the cheapest.

Also, how long do they keep for? If I buy a large bag, do I freeze then, put them in the fridge, or will they just keep find for a few weeks/months?

13 Comments

Sainsburys do the cheapest Cashews - basic range £1.40 for 200gms I think - taste the same to me :-)

I don't think freezing them is required - just get an air-tight container.

Poundland are great for Pistachios and cashews - raw and roasted - 130 gm of cashews for - eerrr ..... £1. Which is £8 per kg . My local store had sold out so looked on Amazon £16 per kg ! Also tried Sainsburys - well dear ! didn't see the 200gms for £1.40 price and went through Sainsburys with a toothcomb yesterday - more like £2.80 for 100 gm . Storage not a problem -I eat them too quick !
    Edited by: "rogparki" 14th Dec 2014

Lidl do good & cheap nuts. I've tried their walnuts and it's really nice. Comes in a air tight packet and is resealable. Don't freeze them just put them in an air tight container.

I get nuts from Lidl. They've got a good range in both salted and unsalted varieties. You can't buy online so I don't have the exact prices to hand but they're cheaper than any of the bigger supermarkets. I might post up a deal when I next go.

I tend to get through them pretty quickly so I don't pay much attention to the use-by dates. I reckon they should last a few months if bought in a sealed pack.

Banned

Lidl

walnuts in their shells are better and can be bought this time of year. almonds are better for you if you soak them over night . we blend mixed nuts to put in oats so get through quite a few. supermarket pretty much same price, look in baking section as nuts are cheaper there

I would agree that PoundLand is very good for them They do a wide selection of all kinds.. I find Tesco is very dear for them like ends up about £4 for a small bag

Aldi, they're own essentials brand do some tasty cashews 125g for 75p, (60p per 100g).

Original Poster

Thanks for all the answers. I wasn't expecting supermarkets to come out the cheapest, or rather I expected there might be a good online source. I will definitely compare Poundland, Lidl and Aldi to Tescos.

Makro (if you're a member).

Lidl have been selling them loose in massive sacks. Just help yourself.

Almost any fruit and veg shops have them, especially Turkish and Arab shops. I found them much cheaper than on big supermarkets.

I second the Lidl comments. For me the price is not the only consideration as nuts can go off really easily if exposed to light/air too long (they end up smelling rancid) and the ones from Lidl are always fresh + sold in a foil/plastic container thus no light gets in + the price is very competitive. They have some in see through packets as well. I tried them as I needed ground almonds for a cake and they were fine too. They also do pistachios by the pound - you just scoop out as much as you need.
    Edited by: "emotionaleater" 15th Dec 2014
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 187 ***1129
      2. Microsoft approve Hyperkin's remake of the OG Xbox controller66
      3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1881351
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866382

See more discussions