Expired

Where can I get free prizes for a charity raffle?

Found 21st Jan 2014
Hiya,
I held a charity raffle in Nov/Dec which was successful and raised £515 for Birmingham Children's Hospital. I spent a lot of money and can't afford to spend much this time. I've got some prizes where I've bought cheap off here (the body shop and the book people deals!) but when I've emailed companies asking for help they politely decline.
I'm not asking for prizes to be sent to me, but held onto until June and sent direct to the winner.

Is there anyone who could point me towards a company that could help? All the donations are through the Just Giving page that I've made and myself and family don't take part in it and it's all filmed. I want to try and raise more money this year but I'm really struggling!
Community Updates
23 Comments
I would imagine that you would be more likely to get charity donations if you go in to shops in person and ask for them to donate a prize rather than emailing companies.

Good luck and I hope you reach your target!
Edited by: "RossD89" 21st Jan 2014
Local supermarkets and shops?
I used to do something similar, I found a phone call followed up by an email or a face to face encounter would work best. Good luck!
pop into your local entertainer (toy shop) with a headed letter and they should donate a gift voucher for you to raffle off as they support children's charities. hope this helps. print off a few letters with the charity details etc and just go round the shops and ask. some will some won't but if you don't ask you don't get :-)
why don't you raise money to buy them? Try a charity raffle or something similar, people are always happy to donate.
Edited by: "ibblackberry1" 21st Jan 2014
deleted55054Original Poster
Thank you all. I'll try ringing round, and I'll ask at my local shops too. The fundraising team at Birmingham Children's Hospital were really helpful in November sending out posters etc for me, so I think they'll do a headed letter for me.

I've tried asking people to donate prizes, friends and family, who don't want certain christmas presents etc, but only my parents and my cousin have said they'd help.

If anyone wants the just-giving link to it, please let me know and I'll inbox it you January is cake bake month and I can post some cakes!
are you a member on netmums? as you can ask on the noticeboard if there are any business on there that are willing to donate things
shaylorkay

are you a member on netmums? as you can ask on the noticeboard if there … are you a member on netmums? as you can ask on the noticeboard if there are any business on there that are willing to donate things

I think I am, I'll have a look and see if I can log in. Thank you!!
Ask all your local businesses, including the ones that you wouldn't usually think of e.g. betting shops.

I was raising funds to send myself to some european championships to represent GB and approached Paddy Power. They gave me loads of merchandise, from signed shirts to snooker cues and free bets.

Most companies have a marketing/charity budget that rarely gets used because no one asks.
teh arn

Ask all your local businesses, including the ones that you wouldn't … Ask all your local businesses, including the ones that you wouldn't usually think of e.g. betting shops.I was raising funds to send myself to some european championships to represent GB and approached Paddy Power. They gave me loads of merchandise, from signed shirts to snooker cues and free bets.Most companies have a marketing/charity budget that rarely gets used because no one asks.

That's brilliant, thank you! I wouldn't have thought of places like Paddy Power- I'll try them!

Also, I managed to get a prize from Netmums- a pair of blinged converse! So thank you for that too
midjet666

That's brilliant, thank you! I wouldn't have thought of places like Paddy … That's brilliant, thank you! I wouldn't have thought of places like Paddy Power- I'll try them! Also, I managed to get a prize from Netmums- a pair of blinged converse! So thank you for that too

Paddy Power sponsor a lot of things, so usually have loads of merchandise lying around.
Plus anything that makes them look better in their local community will always help.

Good luck, let me know what happens.
I would say small independents rather than large stores, the smaller ones would like their name mentioned in any literature you may be printing etc.
teh arn

Paddy Power sponsor a lot of things, so usually have loads of merchandise … Paddy Power sponsor a lot of things, so usually have loads of merchandise lying around.Plus anything that makes them look better in their local community will always help.Good luck, let me know what happens.

Thank you and I will do. I've been emailing some small businesses on facebook and a few have offered vouchers to spend on their items. Hopefully the prizes will get bigger, I'd love to raise some serious money for the hospital X)
aircanman

I would say small independents rather than large stores, the smaller ones … I would say small independents rather than large stores, the smaller ones would like their name mentioned in any literature you may be printing etc.

I thought that too. Some of the smaller businesses have been really helpful
If I recall correctly, Tesco have an email address specifically for Charities. It was on the Tesco website but can't remember exactly where, but if I find it I'll post a link to it.

Regards,

JP
Found it: http://www.tescoplc.com/index.asp?pageid=139

JP
jp297

Found it: http://www.tescoplc.com/index.asp?pageid=139JP

That's fantastic! Thank you!!!
midjet666

I thought that too. Some of the smaller businesses have been really … I thought that too. Some of the smaller businesses have been really helpful

Yer, the main thing is not to approach them in too much of a salesman way, imagine the bosses who are angry and grumpy people who need to make some money, if you explain it, or leave them a letter to look at, you can ring them at a later date for an update or to chase them, less pressure will help I think.
Our local Argos donated some bead sets for my daughters primary school for a project they were doing (Through Northern Rock, called Grow your £5), it was to help kids turn a little money into a 'business' and grow the £5. They could then use the money made, after paying the £5 back, to use on days out in there last year of school (it was only a few months later). The manager in the local Argos was lovely and all for it. I just went in and explained, I had a letter the children wrote on school headed paper. The kids from the school later sent another letter to thank them.

I think it all depends on the person you speak to on the day. Good luck! xx
Approach powerleague Birmingham, I no they have budget for charity x
I would try to get the local or evening paper involved, they may run a story on your quest for prizes. If you have done this before then even better (know you're genuine). Hopefully some local businesses will donate prizes. Best of luck.
Thank you all for your help, I contacted the BCH fundraising team and they're hopefully going to be sending out a headed letter to help me gain more prizes- to prove that I'm doing it for them.
I've contacted a few of the local papers and haven't had a response from them yet, but will chase up with them.

I haven't heard about powerleague, but will have a look.
Thank you all x x x
If you are on Facebook try contacting business pages on there in abs around your local area, I found that are lot if these smaller business's are more than willing to help.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants