Where can to test a console?

Posted 10th Oct
Hi all,

Got a bit of a weird question. My mate wants to test a ps3 of his that he's selling to someone. He is selling it to someone from gumtree.
His wife says she doesn't want strangers in the house so where can he test his ps3?
I'm working so he can't come round mine to test it either!

Any suggestions people?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Does you friend have a say in who his wife can have in his house? Or does she just control him?
Tell wife to get a grip!

or

Take it to buyers house!
Run an extension lead or two out to the front yard and test it there?
Came in for the comments, did not disappoint.
24 Comments
He can use the ps3 in his house and record it on his phone and then send video to buyer
Edited by: "_Tris_" 11th Oct
Haircut_10011/10/2019 00:26

Ps3 in the garden
Does you friend have a say in who his wife can have in his house? Or does she just control him?
Easier to take it to Game/CeX or sell on an online marketplace than be expected to do the impractical/go well out of your way in order to suit an unrealistic request.

Do they have sniffer dogs check their post?
Tell wife to get a grip!

or

Take it to buyers house!
Some oddballs about. Don’t blame her. I meet people in public place than give address. If they don’t trust pictures / video of it working I’d rather take it to likes of CEX. (Can get more than low ball offers on marketplaces sometimes and less hassle!)
Take it to CEX and forget the online market place
I understand your mate's wife's thinking. Maybe bordering on unnecessarily extreme caution, but definitely understandable.

However if that's the case, then selling on somewhere like gumtree or the equivalent of a local newspaper which often necessitates close interactions with strangers, is really not for them.
Take it to CEX, less money than from selling privately but you'll probably find people making stupidly low offers with 1 person making a sensible offer. Also not having to have strangers in your house which I can understand your wife's concerns.
Came in for the comments, did not disappoint.
Personally experience, my local cex are run by jokers.... They make any excuse to not pay up...
Edited by: "DealDog" 11th Oct
DealDog11/10/2019 09:08

Personally experience, my local cex are run by jokers.... They make any …Personally experience, my local cex are run by jokers.... They make any excuse to not pay up...

You can decide not selling it at that stage
So his wife has banned him from having a stranger over to his house to test his game console before buying it. If only there was some way instead that he could go over to the strangers house and let the said stranger test the console in their own house before money exchanges hands for the console there and then. And maybe you could accompany him too. No, sorry, that's just far too ridiculous, what was I thinking.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 11th Oct

Personally experience, my local cex are run by jokers.... They make any …Personally experience, my local cex are run by jokers.... They make any excuse to not pay up...

Mine do that too. Bought 2 Echo dots on a cheap deal, took one in to sell and they tried to say it was grade B. I'd only opened the box to make sure everything was there, even still had the protective plastic on the dot and charger.

Check if it is worth posting to Music Magpie instead
@ Tomb, @Haircut_100

Well that is a point that I made but seems he's coming from B'ham and we're in Leicester.
The suggestion about CeX is valid but he's getting more money selling this way.
gill2111/10/2019 09:39

@ Tomb, @Haircut_100Well that is a point that I made but seems he's …@ Tomb, @Haircut_100Well that is a point that I made but seems he's coming from B'ham and we're in Leicester. The suggestion about CeX is valid but he's getting more money selling this way.

Well if he wants the money then his wife will have to relent and allow the buyer in.
gill2111/10/2019 09:39

@ Tomb, @Haircut_100Well that is a point that I made but seems he's …@ Tomb, @Haircut_100Well that is a point that I made but seems he's coming from B'ham and we're in Leicester. The suggestion about CeX is valid but he's getting more money selling this way.

I understand your wife. I wouldn't want a Brummie in my house either, probably back later to clear it out and steal your car.
Edited by: "HerefordCiderApples" 11th Oct
Zooicidal11/10/2019 09:37

Mine do that too. Bought 2 Echo dots on a cheap deal, took one in to sell …Mine do that too. Bought 2 Echo dots on a cheap deal, took one in to sell and they tried to say it was grade B. I'd only opened the box to make sure everything was there, even still had the protective plastic on the dot and charger.

They do that online as well, I sent two perfect echo's on as grade a, they tried to pay me for grade b or c claiming they were covered in scratches and sent me photos of someone else's echos with scratches all over. I sent them all the photos I took during packaging and they eventually caved but it was a fight, I won't bother again.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 11th Oct
Haircut_10011/10/2019 09:25

So his wife has banned him from having a stranger over to his house to …So his wife has banned him from having a stranger over to his house to test his game console before buying it. If only there was some way instead that he could go over to the strangers house and let the said stranger test the console in their own house before money exchanges hands for the console there and then. And maybe you could accompany him too. No, sorry, that's just far too ridiculous, what was I thinking.

Maybe the buyers wife also doesn't want strangers in his abode?
666FU11/10/2019 15:36

Maybe the buyers wife also doesn't want strangers in his abode?

Then they'll have to just buy a portable generator and set up in a park somewhere.
Haircut_10011/10/2019 09:25

So his wife has banned him from having a stranger over to his house to …So his wife has banned him from having a stranger over to his house to test his game console before buying it. If only there was some way instead that he could go over to the strangers house and let the said stranger test the console in their own house before money exchanges hands for the console there and then. And maybe you could accompany him too. No, sorry, that's just far too ridiculous, what was I thinking.

No, no.. you have given up on this too soon .. I think you're onto something!

It completely depends on the store. I know which to avoid. I went to a store and they said my item was grade B. I asked them to explain exactly why it was grade B and not grade A, after they made loads of excuses they (without apologising) changed their minds. It was 'only £2 extra' which they made abundantly clear.

Then the other day, I went to CeX to sell a HDD and it failed even though it was sealed. Removed the fail sticker, took it to another store and it passed with A grade condition.

But then again, I've flipped 100s of items to CeX and only had a few negative experiences, in at least 9 different branches.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants