Where can you park with blue badge?

Found 26th Feb
So l know you can park for a limited time on double yellow lines but where else can I park ? I've just got a blue badge for my disabled child
Community Updates
Ask
29 Comments
It'll be on the gov site i'd imagine.
Disabled bays, However some still require pay and display etc..
You can park on yellow lines if its safe to do so, but most lines are there to tell you that it isn't safe to park, so you really shouldn't park on yellow lines in most cases.
Original Poster
Thing is where we live the only few disabled bays in the surrounding roads are used by drivers without blue badges who seem to just get lucky by never getting done for it . So really frustrating now I can't park even with a blue badge !
You could apply for a disabled bay ?
Most municipal car parks these days have an intercom system at the pay machine, just press the button and follow instructions. They usually ask for your blue badge number then open the barrier to let you out for free.
It varies massively so you still need to read the individual parking signposts and restrictions notices.

Parking on double yellows is asking for problems. I've seen cars displaying badges being clamped ready for towing after dangerous parking on bends, in high streets etc. with a yellow badge being displayed.

Also make sure you correctly display the badge. My dear old dad got a ticket as my mum hadn't correctly displayed the time of parking and had obscured her photo face ID.
darlodge16 m ago

It varies massively so you still need to read the individual parking …It varies massively so you still need to read the individual parking signposts and restrictions notices.Parking on double yellows is asking for problems. I've seen cars displaying badges being clamped ready for towing after dangerous parking on bends, in high streets etc. with a yellow badge being displayed.Also make sure you correctly display the badge. My dear old dad got a ticket as my mum hadn't correctly displayed the time of parking and had obscured her photo face ID.

You don't have to display your photo ID, just the registration number of the card and the time card. The photo ID is on the reverse so you can't display it.
Bradleigh9 h, 19 m ago

You could apply for a disabled bay ?

I think they can allow you a disabled bay if you struggle to park near your house and have no off street parking for your house but even though you have requested the bay, anyone with a disabled badge can still park there so anyone with a disabled badge that lives a few doors up from you could easily keep taking the space.
A disabled badge allows you to park just about anywhere. With one massive Caveat. It must be safe.
No disability or laziness caters for making the roads dangerous for others.

So say there is a row of parking spaces on a straight of road with double yellows each end. Typically that would be safe to park on the lines.
However if the yellows are opposite a junction or right on the entrance to a junction then you should not park there.

The Highway Code has some info on it. I looked into it after finding badge holders parking right into the entrance of my sons nursery. Making it a completely blind approach out into the road.
darlodge9 h, 11 m ago

It varies massively so you still need to read the individual parking …It varies massively so you still need to read the individual parking signposts and restrictions notices.Parking on double yellows is asking for problems. I've seen cars displaying badges being clamped ready for towing after dangerous parking on bends, in high streets etc. with a yellow badge being displayed.Also make sure you correctly display the badge. My dear old dad got a ticket as my mum hadn't correctly displayed the time of parking and had obscured her photo face ID.

Not sure where you got your info from but photo is not displayed for obvious reasons, only the front of the badge should be displayed, in any case it would be impossible to show the front and photo at the same time as the photo is on the reverse side.
st8mike5 h, 12 m ago

Not sure where you got your info from but photo is not displayed for …Not sure where you got your info from but photo is not displayed for obvious reasons, only the front of the badge should be displayed, in any case it would be impossible to show the front and photo at the same time as the photo is on the reverse side.

That's reason they probably got the fine not because photo wasn't clear.
darlodge14 h, 24 m ago

That photo face is on back u will get another fine if they put that side on again tell them they need display other side with the validity details etc.
Taylor0516 h, 33 m ago

Thing is where we live the only few disabled bays in the surrounding roads …Thing is where we live the only few disabled bays in the surrounding roads are used by drivers without blue badges who seem to just get lucky by never getting done for it . So really frustrating now I can't park even with a blue badge !

U can't get a fine for parking on a side street disabled bay they are as just so people can show abit of respect and not park there but if it's very busy people may park there. On main roads they can get fined that's why they don't get fined.
MynameisM54 m ago

That's reason they probably got the fine not because photo wasn't clear.

That I doubt very much, firstly the photo is not on the side displayed, secondly the photo is a holographic picture put on to the badge by the issuing authority, so it is unlikely they would issue a badge with a duff photo.
st8mike9 m ago

That I doubt very much, firstly the photo is not on the side displayed, …That I doubt very much, firstly the photo is not on the side displayed, secondly the photo is a holographic picture put on to the badge by the issuing authority, so it is unlikely they would issue a badge with a duff photo.

That's what I'm saying photo s in the back so if you display that side u will get a fine as it's got no validity date on it and other details so it could be expired etc. That's why my grandfather got fined once because he out the photo side in display. They let him off when we went to the office and they explained this.
Each borough has different rules to confuse matters. Resident permit parking bay is generally not allowed, but some boroughs do allow it. Yellow lines, single or double are fine. Those they say they aren't are talking nonsense. If there are yellow chevrons the kerb/signs to indicate otherwise then you can't park. It's up to 3 hours in those areas, un-limited in a disabled bay, however some disabled bays have a time limit of up to 3 hours, most don't. Some carparks allow free parking in designated bays, others you need to pay. Basically you need to be aware of each area. But yellow lines, single or double without chevrons/sign are fine. Its not your job to decide what's considered safe area to park, that's the councils job and they will put the chevrons/signs where they see fit. If you park on a yellow line and cause an obstruction you can be towed from where you are parked to a 'better place to park' without any costs incurred (think temp roadworks). All said and done, it's best to let common sense prevail
Edited by: "OllieSt" 27th Feb
OllieSt2 h, 35 m ago

Each borough has different rules to confuse matters. Resident permit …Each borough has different rules to confuse matters. Resident permit parking bay is generally not allowed, but some boroughs do allow it. Yellow lines, single or double are fine. Those they say they aren't are talking nonsense. If there are yellow chevrons the kerb/signs to indicate otherwise then you can't park. It's up to 3 hours in those areas, un-limited in a disabled bay, however some disabled bays have a time limit of up to 3 hours, most don't. Some carparks allow free parking in designated bays, others you need to pay. Basically you need to be aware of each area. But yellow lines, single or double without chevrons/sign are fine. Its not your job to decide what's considered safe area to park, that's the councils job and they will put the chevrons/signs where they see fit. If you park on a yellow line and cause an obstruction you can be towed from where you are parked to a 'better place to park' without any costs incurred (think temp roadworks). All said and done, it's best to let common sense prevail

Utter rubbish. Off course you cannot just park anywhere on double yellow lines and just say "but it's not up to me to decide what is considered safe". Try parking on a corner on double yellow lines with a badge and see what happens.

Below are the rules for N.Ireland.
nidirect.gov.uk/art…ers

Places you can’t park You must not park:

• within 15 metres of a junction
  • in places where a ban on loading or unloading is in force (normally indicated by yellow marks on the kerb) at the times shown on the post mounted plates
  • in pedestrian areas where waiting and loading restrictions may be in place even though there are no yellow lines shown on the road or kerb - details of restrictions will be shown on signs at the entrance to the area
  • where there are double white lines in the centre of a road even if one of the lines is broken
  • in parking places reserved for specific users such as resident’s bays, permit holders, doctors, loading bays, taxis, cycles
  • in pedestrian crossings (zebra, pelican, toucan and puffin crossings), including any areas marked by zig-zag lines before and after the crossings
  • on any clearway within its hours of operation
  • at a bus stop –the limits of which are clearly marked on the carriageway
  • in a bus or fire lane during its hours of operation
  • in a residents parking bay unless there are signs showing you may do so
  • on school ‘keep clear’ markings during the hours shown on a yellow no-stopping plate
  • where temporary parking restrictions are in force, for example, as indicated by no-waiting cones or the presence of a Police Officer
You must not park where it would endanger, inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or other road users. This includes:

• school entrances, bus stops, on a bend, near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
  • where it would make it difficult for others to see clearly, for example, close to or opposite a junction, except in an authorised parking space
  • where it would make the road narrow, such as by a traffic island or where roadwork is in progress
  • where it would hold up traffic, such as in narrow stretches of road or blocking vehicle entrances
  • where emergency vehicles stop or go in and out, such as hospital entrances
  • where the kerb has been lowered or the road raised to help wheelchair users
  • on a pavement, unless signs permit it
cecilmcroberts18 m ago

Utter rubbish. Off course you cannot just park anywhere on double yellow …Utter rubbish. Off course you cannot just park anywhere on double yellow lines and just say "but it's not up to me to decide what is considered safe". Try parking on a corner on double yellow lines with a badge and see what happens. Below are the rules for N.Ireland. https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/rights-and-responsibilities-blue-badge-holdersPlaces you can’t park You must not park:within 15 metres of a junctionin places where a ban on loading or unloading is in force (normally indicated by yellow marks on the kerb) at the times shown on the post mounted platesin pedestrian areas where waiting and loading restrictions may be in place even though there are no yellow lines shown on the road or kerb - details of restrictions will be shown on signs at the entrance to the areawhere there are double white lines in the centre of a road even if one of the lines is brokenin parking places reserved for specific users such as resident’s bays, permit holders, doctors, loading bays, taxis, cyclesin pedestrian crossings (zebra, pelican, toucan and puffin crossings), including any areas marked by zig-zag lines before and after the crossingson any clearway within its hours of operationat a bus stop –the limits of which are clearly marked on the carriagewayin a bus or fire lane during its hours of operationin a residents parking bay unless there are signs showing you may do soon school ‘keep clear’ markings during the hours shown on a yellow no-stopping platewhere temporary parking restrictions are in force, for example, as indicated by no-waiting cones or the presence of a Police Officer You must not park where it would endanger, inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or other road users. This includes:school entrances, bus stops, on a bend, near the brow of a hill or hump bridgewhere it would make it difficult for others to see clearly, for example, close to or opposite a junction, except in an authorised parking spacewhere it would make the road narrow, such as by a traffic island or where roadwork is in progresswhere it would hold up traffic, such as in narrow stretches of road or blocking vehicle entranceswhere emergency vehicles stop or go in and out, such as hospital entranceswhere the kerb has been lowered or the road raised to help wheelchair userson a pavement, unless signs permit it

Ok, I stand corrected. Most of you post is taking about other scenarios.

Obviously the 2 pics below (and many other similar situations) are not areas when one can park under any circumstances. I thought that was just obvious

33342200-5A5kB.jpg

33342200-nTWgL.jpg
Edited by: "OllieSt" 27th Feb
OllieSt19 m ago

Ok, I stand corrected. Most of you post is taking about other …Ok, I stand corrected. Most of you post is taking about other scenarios.Obviously the 2 pics below (and many other similar situations) are not areas when one can park under any circumstances. I thought that was just obvious [Image] [Image]

Regardless, "Its not your job to decide what's considered safe area to park, that's the councils job", it is your job, no-one elses, you are the one in control of the vehicle. If a stop sign was missing do you just still drive on because "it's the councils job to tell me to stop".

"Yellow lines, single or double are fine. Those they say they aren't are talking nonsense.
"
Again, regardless lines or not you still cannot park a vehicle near a junction, beside a traffic island or in the many other examples.

Oneday77 worded it very well.
"A disabled badge allows you to park just about anywhere. With one massive Caveat. It must be safe.
No disability or laziness caters for making the roads dangerous for others.
"
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 27th Feb
cecilmcroberts17 m ago

Regardless, "Its not your job to decide what's considered safe area to …Regardless, "Its not your job to decide what's considered safe area to park, that's the councils job", it is your job, no-one elses, you are the one in control of the vehicle. If a stop sign was missing do you just still drive on because "it's the councils job to tell me to stop". "Yellow lines, single or double are fine. Those they say they aren't are talking nonsense."Again, regardless lines or not you still cannot park a vehicle near a junction, beside a traffic island or in the many other examples. Oneday77 worded it very well. "A disabled badge allows you to park just about anywhere. With one massive Caveat. It must be safe. No disability or laziness caters for making the roads dangerous for others."

I concur. I was wrong
st8mike10 h, 33 m ago

Not sure where you got your info from but photo is not displayed for …Not sure where you got your info from but photo is not displayed for obvious reasons, only the front of the badge should be displayed, in any case it would be impossible to show the front and photo at the same time as the photo is on the reverse side.

The old blue badges used to have a seperate photo ID part that was requested to be visable to prevent misue of the badges. The fine my dad got was a long time ago so it might have been for incorectly specifying the time on the little rotating clock maybe but I was sure the fine said it was for the lack of the photo being displayed.
Edited by: "darlodge" 27th Feb
Original Poster
MynameisM7 h, 46 m ago

U can't get a fine for parking on a side street disabled bay they are as …U can't get a fine for parking on a side street disabled bay they are as just so people can show abit of respect and not park there but if it's very busy people may park there. On main roads they can get fined that's why they don't get fined.

Hi , I thought it's only "advisory" bays that are not enforced? The two bays near me do have the signage on a pole by each bay "disabled badge holders only"" so l thought that means they are enforceable ? ....
Original Poster
OllieSt6 h, 42 m ago

Each borough has different rules to confuse matters. Resident permit …Each borough has different rules to confuse matters. Resident permit parking bay is generally not allowed, but some boroughs do allow it. Yellow lines, single or double are fine. Those they say they aren't are talking nonsense. If there are yellow chevrons the kerb/signs to indicate otherwise then you can't park. It's up to 3 hours in those areas, un-limited in a disabled bay, however some disabled bays have a time limit of up to 3 hours, most don't. Some carparks allow free parking in designated bays, others you need to pay. Basically you need to be aware of each area. But yellow lines, single or double without chevrons/sign are fine. Its not your job to decide what's considered safe area to park, that's the councils job and they will put the chevrons/signs where they see fit. If you park on a yellow line and cause an obstruction you can be towed from where you are parked to a 'better place to park' without any costs incurred (think temp roadworks). All said and done, it's best to let common sense prevail

Thanks! You have confirmed what I originally thought. Yellow lines are fine but as you say not on a bend obstructing the road etc.... I have only used the badge a few times so far and it's made a huge difference, just knowing my son can be kept safe.
Taylor0512 h, 34 m ago

Hi , I thought it's only "advisory" bays that are not enforced? The two …Hi , I thought it's only "advisory" bays that are not enforced? The two bays near me do have the signage on a pole by each bay "disabled badge holders only"" so l thought that means they are enforceable ? ....

Yes youre correct They will be the mandatory bays then thought they only out them in town centre, I think if there's parking problems then they do that so will be for disabled parking only does it have times on there aswell
Edited by: "MynameisM" 28th Feb
One other thing to note, in pay & display car parks, you usually still have to pay.
Original Poster
matth999910 h, 12 m ago

One other thing to note, in pay & display car parks, you usually still …One other thing to note, in pay & display car parks, you usually still have to pay.

My understanding was that you do not have to pay ? As long as you display the badge and there are no time restrictions.
Taylor0525 m ago

My understanding was that you do not have to pay ? As long as you display …My understanding was that you do not have to pay ? As long as you display the badge and there are no time restrictions.

That isn't correct, Some you still have to pay, It is very important to check the signs each time you park.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants