Where do people buy smokeless logs / coal?

Posted 13th Dec 2019
For an indoor open fireplace. Our closest place is B&Q £2 each log however for the amount of time they burn the cost adds up. where do people get theirs?

Thank You!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Home Bargains we get smokeless coal and logs x not sure of prices might show on ther web page x
Honeyb313/12/2019 22:36

Home Bargains we get smokeless coal and logs x not sure of prices might …Home Bargains we get smokeless coal and logs x not sure of prices might show on ther web page x

Thank you ill take a look and see if there's any nearby!
Get onto google and search for a local coal merchant
Try your local petrol station as well, that's where I usually get mine
Open fires don't burn hot enough to burn the smoke.
The (warm) air that goes up the chimney has to be replaced by cold air from outside - the net result is
negative heating - worse the colder it is outside .!
Try insulating bricks in the fireplace or treat yourself to a modern woodstove.
zzzz14/12/2019 11:55

Open fires don't burn hot enough to burn the smoke.The (warm) air that …Open fires don't burn hot enough to burn the smoke.The (warm) air that goes up the chimney has to be replaced by cold air from outside - the net result is negative heating - worse the colder it is outside .!Try insulating bricks in the fireplace or treat yourself to a modern woodstove.

Haha open fires arent very effective, but they do heat the room.
Until recently I've always lived in houses with open fires and the idea that they make the house colder when lot is just hilarious.
Edited by: "joedastudd" 14th Dec 2019
carolinemcclymont14/12/2019 11:23

Try your local petrol station as well, that's where I usually get mine

Our local Shell garage sells them as well. But I find you can buy cheap online if you're buying a fair amount.
it does warm the room, but were in a rented house I cant replace it.
Try coals 2 u for coal, excellent service and cheap. For wood, I used to get it from local building sites, skips, etc. If you want logs, have a look for local suppliers who let you fill your car boot for a few quid. There are lot of people that have jumped on the log burner fad and charge way over the top for logs, beware.
joedastudd14/12/2019 13:13

Haha open fires arent very effective, but they do heat the room.Until …Haha open fires arent very effective, but they do heat the room.Until recently I've always lived in houses with open fires and the idea that they make the house colder when lot is just hilarious.

I can vouchsafe that temp drops can & do occur having experience of it myself & measured the differences with temperature & humidity sensors, that is precisely why I knocked the hell out of our old fireplace & fitted a very efficient woodburner.

As a result we heat the room not the outside & a lit WBS on all but the most evil of negative pressure days we have a good fire producing heat typically within 10 -15 minutes.

(compared to struggling open fireplace that may / may not semi warm a room, ,..it wasn't healthy to have a newborn exposed to that).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions