Where do you book your cruises?

Posted 24th May
Hi all,

Looking to book a cruise in 2021. I normally cast my net far and wide in order to get the best prices possible (normally book with US travel agents but it appears UK travel agents are cheaper this time round).

Where do you book your cruises in order to get the best price?

Thanks!
Anthony
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
It might be an idea to wait and see what cruise operators and travel companies actually survive in to 2021 before thinking about booking.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 24th May
24 Comments
Cruise Club/365 have always been good
It might be an idea to wait and see what cruise operators and travel companies actually survive in to 2021 before thinking about booking.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 24th May
cruisenation are generally pretty good. They normally do free upgrades on a lot of them for example if you upgrade your cabin you get a free drinks package
Haircut_10024/05/2020 16:47

It might be an idea to wait and see what cruise operators and travel …It might be an idea to wait and see what cruise operators and travel companies actually survive in to 2021 before thinking about booking.

I do agree with this though. If you do book early make sure it is abta and atoll protected and use a credit card
Yep good advice folks. I know everyone is at risk but it's a royal caribbean cruise so I'm hoping (possibly naively) if there's one company that survives it should be them
DealHunted198824/05/2020 17:37

Yep good advice folks. I know everyone is at risk but it's a royal …Yep good advice folks. I know everyone is at risk but it's a royal caribbean cruise so I'm hoping (possibly naively) if there's one company that survives it should be them

You would think so but there are far to many unknowns at the moment, not just the financial ones but ones as simple ac how will them manage passenger safety, meals, which ports will allow them In and even insurance. Might be time to wait last thing you want is to think you are getting cruise A but end up with Z.
DealHunted198824/05/2020 17:37

Yep good advice folks. I know everyone is at risk but it's a royal …Yep good advice folks. I know everyone is at risk but it's a royal caribbean cruise so I'm hoping (possibly naively) if there's one company that survives it should be them

Have you been Royal Caribbean before? Just asking as I only went once, and didnt like it- the tipping is off the scale for one. I had already opted to pre pay the tips but was still asked for a tip at the bar. Every time. There was me and my 3 kids, so we had interconnecting cabins. They dropped off a letter to everyone saying ‘ we know youve already tipped - but this is the ‘recommended ‘ amount. Big list of all crew and amounts.. staff in restaurants we’d never been in.. people in the shops... It was $45 per cabin for the steward. I thought, there’s no way I’m paying an extra $90 on top of the holiday cost PLUS the tip I’d already paid, when the kids had had their ‘do not disturb’ sign on most of the time.
Edited by: "juggler1" 24th May
Bolsover cruise club by a country mile
juggler124/05/2020 19:01

Have you been Royal Caribbean before? Just asking as I only went once, and …Have you been Royal Caribbean before? Just asking as I only went once, and didnt like it- the tipping is off the scale for one. I had already opted to pre pay the tips but was still asked for a tip at the bar. Every time. There was me and my 3 kids, so we had interconnecting cabins. They dropped off a letter to everyone saying ‘ we know youve already tipped - but this is the ‘recommended ‘ amount. Big list of all crew and amounts.. staff in restaurants we’d never been in.. people in the shops... It was $45 per cabin for the steward. I thought, there’s no way I’m paying an extra $90 on top of the holiday cost PLUS the tip I’d already paid, when the kids had had their ‘do not disturb’ sign on most of the time.

This is a very contentious issue and the last thing I want to do is turn this into a thread about tipping however, (and I may get hate for this) I don't do it. I go to guest services on day 1 and cancel them. I know some people hate that and say it's unfair on staff, for me I pay the price for the cruise and that should include staff wages....right I'm away to put on a hard hat before people start throwing bricks.
liamcupra24/05/2020 19:03

Bolsover cruise club by a country mile

Thanks! Do they negotiate? I'm finding a few websites cheaper than their price at the moment. (it's not huge amounts ....maybe £50-60 cheaper).
DealHunted198824/05/2020 19:51

Thanks! Do they negotiate? I'm finding a few websites cheaper than their …Thanks! Do they negotiate? I'm finding a few websites cheaper than their price at the moment. (it's not huge amounts ....maybe £50-60 cheaper).

I’d ring them mate tell them the price and they will probs get it cheaper or price match deffo worth a try
liamcupra24/05/2020 19:52

I’d ring them mate tell them the price and they will probs get it cheaper o …I’d ring them mate tell them the price and they will probs get it cheaper or price match deffo worth a try

Thanks, will do!
I've used Trailfinder and have found they can put a package together of flights, hotel stay and cruise for far cheaper than I can get by putting a package together myself.
As someone said earlier I wouldn’t book a cruise at the moment see who’s going to survive the cull first
I used to work on the websites for a large number of sites selling cruises (and one major cruise operator) which all used the same software for their sites. Even the ones that didn't use our software used to source their prices from the same files. For the most part, the prices for the cruises only differ by the margins each website set. Only last minute bookings or fly cruise packages tend to differ between the sites.

So much of the travel industry relies on back-ends held together with bits of string. Hopefully more and more are switching to using APIs like Amadeus which is slightly more robust.
DealHunted198824/05/2020 19:49

This is a very contentious issue and the last thing I want to do is turn …This is a very contentious issue and the last thing I want to do is turn this into a thread about tipping however, (and I may get hate for this) I don't do it. I go to guest services on day 1 and cancel them. I know some people hate that and say it's unfair on staff, for me I pay the price for the cruise and that should include staff wages....right I'm away to put on a hard hat before people start throwing bricks.

Well I’d paid all tips already before travelling ( must’ve seemed like a good idea at time of booking) and was given instructions to individually tip again, which I really didn’t like. I did have other gripes tbh.. there was a couple of hours in the afternoon where there were no food places open. Not what I’d been used to on cruises. There was some guy who introduced himself as someone who was there to help passengers with anything, night or day, anything at all, I’m here. Turned out we had a bit of a family crisis gone on at home and I enquired how possible it would be to get home. Oh, I got blank stares then, and told I was to sort it myself ‘ use the Internet’. Fake over- sincerity. Entertainment was bobbins- one singer? That’s not a show. A comedian so offensive I gathered the kids up and walked out. Thomson for us, every time.
My tip. Find the cruise on any internet site. Then ring the cruise line direct and ask them to beat the price or throw in some extras. They often can as it saves them paying commission to the website, Quidco etc.
abigsmurf24/05/2020 22:34

I used to work on the websites for a large number of sites selling cruises …I used to work on the websites for a large number of sites selling cruises (and one major cruise operator) which all used the same software for their sites. Even the ones that didn't use our software used to source their prices from the same files. For the most part, the prices for the cruises only differ by the margins each website set. Only last minute bookings or fly cruise packages tend to differ between the sites.So much of the travel industry relies on back-ends held together with bits of string. Hopefully more and more are switching to using APIs like Amadeus which is slightly more robust.

It's not a massive difference I'm seeing between prices ...from lowest to highest theres probably a £100 difference, but then again as a money saver I like to make sure I've got the cheapest
juggler125/05/2020 01:00

Well I’d paid all tips already before travelling ( must’ve seemed like a go …Well I’d paid all tips already before travelling ( must’ve seemed like a good idea at time of booking) and was given instructions to individually tip again, which I really didn’t like. I did have other gripes tbh.. there was a couple of hours in the afternoon where there were no food places open. Not what I’d been used to on cruises. There was some guy who introduced himself as someone who was there to help passengers with anything, night or day, anything at all, I’m here. Turned out we had a bit of a family crisis gone on at home and I enquired how possible it would be to get home. Oh, I got blank stares then, and told I was to sort it myself ‘ use the Internet’. Fake over- sincerity. Entertainment was bobbins- one singer? That’s not a show. A comedian so offensive I gathered the kids up and walked out. Thomson for us, every time.

I can understand that... I've cruised quite a few times and I've got to say I've never had a bad cruise. What I will say is cruising on new boats is a vastly different experience to when I first cruised around 20years ago. We're planning a royal caribbean cruise on Allure of the Seas and whilst the fake sincerity will still be there I'm sure the other concerns you have over entertainment and food should be overcome.

I completely understand why you wouldn't sail with them again but if you are looking to cruise again it's well worth taking a look at a few of the bigger ships (if that would interest you) - the size and range of options onboard are huge - not only with royal caribbean but MSC (who sometimes get a bad name) and NCL.

Thanks for your input though!
Does each cruise come with a free case of Corona, and a mystery unscheduled 27 days in quarantine, at a port of nobody's choice ?
Definitely Igly Cruises have found their service second to none and prices best for the cruises I’ve booked through them
Dpowell325/05/2020 15:06

Definitely Igly Cruises have found their service second to none and prices …Definitely Igly Cruises have found their service second to none and prices best for the cruises I’ve booked through them

They're quite expensive compared to others for my cruise but I realise that can be down to alot of factors
DealHunted198825/05/2020 15:44

They're quite expensive compared to others for my cruise but I realise …They're quite expensive compared to others for my cruise but I realise that can be down to alot of factors

Yeah I guess it’s all down to different factors, there was one time another company was cheaper but phoned Iglu and they beat the deal so worth calling around to save a bit
Post a comment
@
    Text