Where do you put the transformer for outdoor xmas lights? !! Advice needed

Found 5th Dec 2011
Hey all, I put up some outdoor lights and on the box it says the transformer needs to be inside, problem is the plug which goes into the transformer is a right angle jack which wont go through a small hole which I was prepared to drill through the door frame, I am not drilling an inch of hole just for these lights, so I am wondering what everyone else does?

Or is there a way I can leave the transformer outside, so I can use my existing sockets.
Community Updates
11 Comments
It not one off the nasty Transformers is it
outdoor weatherbox
transformers can get hot so in a bucket of water to keep it cool
Cut the cable and solder or use a weather-proof splice to rejoin. Cover join in self-amalgamating tape to make sure.

Used to be outdoor lights would have a weather-proof transformers but now a lot ship with the cheaper option of plug+transformer all-in-one that you have to protected yourself.
Near Cybertron
you need one of these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/volex-weatherbox/44658
[img]s7g3.scene7.com/is/…8_P?$p$[/img]
alternate

Cut the cable and solder or use a weather-proof splice to rejoin. Cover … Cut the cable and solder or use a weather-proof splice to rejoin. Cover join in self-amalgamating tape to make sure.

I was going to suggest the same.

Don't get electrocuted though. Or at least try not to.
My husband tried electrocuting himself last year with indoor lights. After the loud bang and scream (similar to Ned Flanders - him, not me) he told me he needed the lights on so he could see what he was doing! He actually has a degree...sadly not in common sense, but I have now increased his life cover

...So please do make sure that they are unplugged before you start.
Do you have a garage? Ours goes through there as when closed there is a small gap in the door frame

Sure,, I didn't think to warn him to unplug it first :-P

BustaLinx

I was going to suggest the same. Don't get electrocuted though. Or at … I was going to suggest the same. Don't get electrocuted though. Or at least try not to.

Edited by: "alternate" 6th Dec 2011
You just need an I.P rated enclosure...........simples.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants