Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Where does cheap cat litter?

Posted 8th Mar
Hello all

We have many cats - we need a lot of cat litter. I cannot seem to find it anymore!

Morrisons website: They've stopped doing their own brand it seems
Asda website: For the cheap own brand one, you can order max 6 at a time (other brands I can add more to basket, but they cost more than twice that of the cheap one)
Tesco website: Only allowing 6 at a time of anything, including cat litter.
Sainsburys website: There is one available but delivery would be over a week away.

Lidl, cannot order it online for delivery... there IS a store near us, but in last 27 times of going to the store (sometimes only 3 times in a week, not set as last 27 days) they have only had cat litter 3 times. Been trying for last week.... 3 visits... none there, and asked staff... one said it was "discontinued", when I questioned that saying they'd never get it back.. he said "yea, discontinued, we don't know when we'll get it". Discontinued means never.... so not sure. Asked their customer services, they said it was out of stock at the moment (this was BEFORE I said where I was), questioned it again saying location, they said it's out of stock at the moment everywhere, not sure when it'll be back.

I live in London, don't have a car... going to check Waitrose if Lidl don't have it in stock still, other than that it's a 30min walk to Tesco. Sainsbury, Asda & Morrisons are all too far. Even if I took a bus there, you can't carry more than 3 bags of cat litter at a time - and it would cost too much to keep doing that.

Has something silly happened with cat litter, making people not supply it anymore? Is it down to Brexit (ugh) or Coronavirus (ugh) or is it just greed from suppliers?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Maybe people are buying cat litter for themselves because they know that the shops are going to run out of toilet paper soon....
44 Comments
Maybe people are buying cat litter for themselves because they know that the shops are going to run out of toilet paper soon....
Bwahaha... wish I'd thought of that for myself, before needing for the cats.
Have a look at Pets at Home website. They deliver free if your order is over £40.
A backpack (widemouth) would likely fit some / 1x 40 litre.
Looks like time to use the Crystal moisture absorbing stuff as a tide me over.
nannafish08/03/2020 13:58

Have a look at Pets at Home website. They deliver free if your order is …Have a look at Pets at Home website. They deliver free if your order is over £40.

They still seem quite expensive, cost for 10L is about £2 in stores (between £1.55-£1.89), but at Pets At Home it's £4.99/10L, or £4.99/15L or £6.59/20L. (this is not including the wood stuff, which some of the cats refuse to use - others we've not tried for them)

They'll be the next choice, but was hoping for something around £2. I am cheap... especially if all they do is *$%" on it, and it's thrown away.
Go find some stock and then just get an Uber back if you can't carry it.
Mr_Gus08/03/2020 14:02

A backpack (widemouth) would likely fit some / 1x 40 litre.Looks like time …A backpack (widemouth) would likely fit some / 1x 40 litre.Looks like time to use the Crystal moisture absorbing stuff as a tide me over.

I really don't see me taking a long bus trip with 40L of kitty litter in a bag on my back... I just about manage 30L (10 in each hand, 10 on shoulder in bag) if I stop 22385734985734895 times as I walk.
Blueskinnedbeast08/03/2020 14:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lceSo10_d9Qno more walking and carrying

I honestly thought you were showing me a pic of kitties using a toilet.... got the "kit" to teach them, as a joke, from Amazon. I think it would take about 8923748923478632786235 years. I was tempted though
Toonah08/03/2020 14:14

I really don't see me taking a long bus trip with 40L of kitty litter in a …I really don't see me taking a long bus trip with 40L of kitty litter in a bag on my back... I just about manage 30L (10 in each hand, 10 on shoulder in bag) if I stop 22385734985734895 times as I walk.

I used to do it easily, in London with my shopping / heavy items that can be supported easily & weight spread rather than cack plastic handles biting through hands.
Not 🚀 science, ...backpackers do the same thing, just not with freeflow, squashable kitty litter.I
Weight spread across shoulders back & legs.

Or you could get an uber seeing as it's London & not the countryside.
GAVINLEWISHUKD08/03/2020 14:11

Go find some stock and then just get an Uber back if you can't carry it.

Uber would cost me around £10 if almost 2 miles awa ... and that's if the store has the cheap one in stock. Previous trips to the Sainsburys have failed... Tesco have had the one at twice the price but they are closer I guess.

Do other cat owners all have cars? This seems ridiculous. Having to plan to buy 20 bags at a time (which now I'm thinking about it, I've never seen in stock in stores) and organise cabs.
Mr_Gus08/03/2020 14:25

I used to do it easily, in London with my shopping / heavy items that can …I used to do it easily, in London with my shopping / heavy items that can be supported easily & weight spread rather than cack plastic handles biting through hands.Not 🚀 science, ...backpackers do the same thing, just not with freeflow, squashable kitty litter.IWeight spread across shoulders back & legs.Or you could get an uber seeing as it's London & not the countryside.

I'm considering this, just need to get myself a decent bag, and then learn how to be strong. I'm a weak pathetic female, but that said, I am cheap. So a bag, and find somewhere to get 4 at a time, I'm gonna give it a go.
Toonah08/03/2020 14:28

Uber would cost me around £10 if almost 2 miles awa ... and that's if the …Uber would cost me around £10 if almost 2 miles awa ... and that's if the store has the cheap one in stock. Previous trips to the Sainsburys have failed... Tesco have had the one at twice the price but they are closer I guess.Do other cat owners all have cars? This seems ridiculous. Having to plan to buy 20 bags at a time (which now I'm thinking about it, I've never seen in stock in stores) and organise cabs.

No not everyone has a car. But not everyone gets through 500 metric tons of cat litter a week!
Maybe if money is tight it's time to let some of the cats go?
Just curious, how many cats do you have?
Not 500 a week... 15L a week, in many litter trays. They're indoor, can't let them use the garden as we don't have one.

I only mentioned 20 bags as if I'm doing a sho involving a cab, I'd buy as many as I could fit in the car. Which wouldn't be 20, probably.
Toonah08/03/2020 14:28

Uber would cost me around £10 if almost 2 miles awa ... and that's if the …Uber would cost me around £10 if almost 2 miles awa ... and that's if the store has the cheap one in stock. Previous trips to the Sainsburys have failed... Tesco have had the one at twice the price but they are closer I guess.Do other cat owners all have cars? This seems ridiculous. Having to plan to buy 20 bags at a time (which now I'm thinking about it, I've never seen in stock in stores) and organise cabs.

Then walk, 2 miles isn't far in a city with pages streets & lighting, but for cost efficiency of bulk buying time & stock an uber back (walk there) sounds effective till you can rectify the supply chain issues.
And never had an issue with this, but now with shops stopping their stock of kitty litter, and stores not having it for unknown time... it's become an issue all of a sudden. Lidl says it's not discontinued when speaking to customer services, but the staff in store said it was (but also said it'd be back).

I haven't paid attention to individual stores, as used one and been happy with it, but now it's been weeks of not having stock, and so started checking, and it seems stores stop the cheap stuff, or only allow sales of 6 at a time. I don't know why.
Toonah08/03/2020 14:41

And never had an issue with this, but now with shops stopping their stock …And never had an issue with this, but now with shops stopping their stock of kitty litter, and stores not having it for unknown time... it's become an issue all of a sudden. Lidl says it's not discontinued when speaking to customer services, but the staff in store said it was (but also said it'd be back).I haven't paid attention to individual stores, as used one and been happy with it, but now it's been weeks of not having stock, and so started checking, and it seems stores stop the cheap stuff, or only allow sales of 6 at a time. I don't know why.

It's because the make no money on "basics" items. Or even sometimes they sell them at a loss in a hope to bring people into the store.

If you only need 15l (bag and a half) a week I don't really see the issue. Just grab a bag when you go shopping. As long as they have them at least 1.5 visits a week then you won't run out.
The shops I go to don't sell them. Lidl don't have stock. Sainsburys Local/Tesco Metro don't do it. It's 2 miles to the nearest Sainsburys, and about 1.5 miles to the nearest Tesco. I don't tend to go to Sainsburys so not sure if they stock the cheap one or not, and Tesco have only done the one that's £3 when I've last looked. But haven't "looked" for a year, as I'd order for delivery.

I can walk to the stores, there's another Sainsburys, smaller one but not "Local", in opposite direction (about 2.2 miles), they've never had the cheap one, £3.50 a bag I think... and it was a year ago. It's not impossible to walk, I just expected there to be someone that actually had them to deliver. Or deliver more than 6 at a time. Never realised there was an issue with them, for years it's worked ok. And all of a sudden, no idea where to get it from now. Always had it delivered as if I did go to stores (be they 2miles away or more) they didn't have the basic cheap stuff, only the one that cost £6 for half the weight.

Clearly I'm being stupid for asking. I will just go 2-6 miles (depending on stock, from previous purchases) by foot. Thank you all for your helpful advice.
wilko.com/en-…ter
try Wilkies
Order & Collect£2.00
Your order will be delivered to your chosen store on or before Fri 13th MarchSpend £30.00 or more for FREE Order & Collect

Home Delivery£5.00
Your order will be delivered on or before Fri 13th March.

Our Fastest Delivery£8.00
Your order will be delivered to your chosen address on or before Tue 10th March.
Corner shops (Thomas) though have seen Tesco value and Sainsbury's Frank's on occasions (prob early in morning) though think Thomas better value using less. Sainsburys £3 scented is good but small bag.(only see expensive Catsan in Express type local stores)
Edited by: "ChuckTheDuck" 8th Mar
A big cat litter producer fell into administration which affected cat litter stocks over Christmas and beyond
Thanks. No local stores near us have done cat litter, not that I've seen for years anyway. And not seen spaces in shops if stock gone before I get there. Just assumed money wasn't in it for them.

That last bit, thanks for that. Presume that may have affected things for Morrisons and maybe Lidl. Unless Lidl is from abroad and all hell broke out for them at the start of the year.
Toonah08/03/2020 19:47

Thanks. No local stores near us have done cat litter, not that I've seen …Thanks. No local stores near us have done cat litter, not that I've seen for years anyway. And not seen spaces in shops if stock gone before I get there. Just assumed money wasn't in it for them. That last bit, thanks for that. Presume that may have affected things for Morrisons and maybe Lidl. Unless Lidl is from abroad and all hell broke out for them at the start of the year.

You dont have Wilkies in London?

Online for deliveries I even showed the costs and deliveries times for you
Blueskinnedbeast08/03/2020 19:49

You dont have Wilkies in London?Online for deliveries I even showed the …You dont have Wilkies in London?Online for deliveries I even showed the costs and deliveries times for you

Do, but they have the cheapest one at "in store only, can't order" and rest are more expensive. About £3 a bag rather than £2. Hadn't realised a big company went bankrupt.
have you ever used cat liter crystals? We switched from the wood pellet one. We only have 1 cat now and i buy small bags at Pound Stretcher ( i think they are around £2.39 a bag) a bag last around 8 to 10 days, we pick up the poos and use dog bags. You can buy bigger bags and they last longer (check Zooplus) they do 6 x 5ltr for £23.99 and they last longer between 2 to 3 weeks, if you have big trays and your cats don't mind sharing probably a bit less. But it saves a lot of time in changing every couple of days using traditional cat liter stuff
jeannot1808/03/2020 21:52

have you ever used cat liter crystals? We switched from the wood pellet …have you ever used cat liter crystals? We switched from the wood pellet one. We only have 1 cat now and i buy small bags at Pound Stretcher ( i think they are around £2.39 a bag) a bag last around 8 to 10 days, we pick up the poos and use dog bags. You can buy bigger bags and they last longer (check Zooplus) they do 6 x 5ltr for £23.99 and they last longer between 2 to 3 weeks, if you have big trays and your cats don't mind sharing probably a bit less. But it saves a lot of time in changing every couple of days using traditional cat liter stuff

By the way you get free delivery from £35 with Zooplus, i have used a few times and they usually pretty quick, no more than 3 days
Could you not get the 6 bags of litter delivered to your home from Asda? Bundle it with your grocery shopping if there’s a minimum order value requirement. 6 bags should see you through a week surely with 5 cats? You don’t need to empty the entire litter out every time they use it - use a scoop to take out the big bits and any clumps then sprinkle a little layer on top to freshen it up.
smush09/03/2020 01:34

Could you not get the 6 bags of litter delivered to your home from Asda? …Could you not get the 6 bags of litter delivered to your home from Asda? Bundle it with your grocery shopping if there’s a minimum order value requirement. 6 bags should see you through a week surely with 5 cats? You don’t need to empty the entire litter out every time they use it - use a scoop to take out the big bits and any clumps then sprinkle a little layer on top to freshen it up.

Yea but 6 bags is about a month, and when you don't need £21 of other goods it seems extreme. I mean I could, but generally don't tend to require stuff so much. Of course I could spend it, but when you don't usually buy it in one go, it's just not something you think about.

It's what I'll probably do, as the stores near me (even the ones 2 miles away) don't usually have the cheap ones for sale. But I'll be going to check them all and make sure. And delivery of 6 is an option, just never one I thought I had to decide on.

People seem baffled at why I'm worried about this, well maybe not worried...but I just don't understand why the usual thing is changed. It's like all supermarkets suddenly removing toilet paper as an option unless you buy 5 at a time or something (I dunno, trying to think of similar for humans). It wasn't usually a problem, why is it one now.
The main supplier went under... this caused a lot of supply chain issues.
thegrocer.co.uk/pet…cle

Ironically I buy expensive cat litter (ultra clumping) but it lasts a long time and is very efficient.
Mind you, it is coupled with the Litter Robot Open AIr which cost us £400 a few years ago but is worth every penny. I just empty the tray weekly. (it wouldn't last that long with lots of cats -we only have two).
Thanks. Did consider one of those posh litter things, but never considered in past as cheap one was available. No idea if Lidl do Bob Martin, but plans to visit Waitrose, Lidl, Tesco, Wilko today. Waitrose were reducing the 3 bags they had ages back, Lidl haven't had any. Tesco haven't had the cheaper one.. and the cheap one at Wilko, never seen it in store before but since I have to go to the bank near there I'll check.

Hope they sort it out, it's infuriating, usually buy several bags so I don't feel like I constantly have to go...but if there's none for 2-3 weeks you're stuffed.

Could I pay £800 for two litter trays for multiple use...maybe, certainly don't want to but it would stop this endless search.
Toonah09/03/2020 10:56

Thanks. Did consider one of those posh litter things, but never considered …Thanks. Did consider one of those posh litter things, but never considered in past as cheap one was available. No idea if Lidl do Bob Martin, but plans to visit Waitrose, Lidl, Tesco, Wilko today. Waitrose were reducing the 3 bags they had ages back, Lidl haven't had any. Tesco haven't had the cheaper one.. and the cheap one at Wilko, never seen it in store before but since I have to go to the bank near there I'll check.Hope they sort it out, it's infuriating, usually buy several bags so I don't feel like I constantly have to go...but if there's none for 2-3 weeks you're stuffed. Could I pay £800 for two litter trays for multiple use...maybe, certainly don't want to but it would stop this endless search.

You still need to buy litter It is more efficiently used though.
I doubt it is any cheaper overall, just a lot easier than digging for cat gold...

And if you had two of these things you would need a lot of space

About 10 days since last having stock, Lidl had it in store!

For a couple of weeks I'm ok now. Tesco didn't (not small ones, bigger one) Waitrose didn't. Hummm. Will go back and buy a couple more tomorrow if they still have them. Won't be buying other stuff then.

Fingers crossed it evens out, not another 2 weeks without now...
Toonah09/03/2020 14:50

About 10 days since last having stock, Lidl had it in store!For a couple …About 10 days since last having stock, Lidl had it in store!For a couple of weeks I'm ok now. Tesco didn't (not small ones, bigger one) Waitrose didn't. Hummm. Will go back and buy a couple more tomorrow if they still have them. Won't be buying other stuff then.Fingers crossed it evens out, not another 2 weeks without now...

Try here for your next lot. We buy the Hills science stuff from here for our cats.
zooplus.co.uk/ese…htm
Might have to go for that next. Had bought 4 this morning, but thought I'd go back for 3-4 more if another big delay. There was none left. When I got my 4 earlier, there were about 20+ left. They went in an hour. Ha.

So Lidl now is out for (I presume) another 2 weeks... Waitrose didn't have them. Family member has gone to Tesco, when Lidl had run out on second trip I text him and said to let me know if they had the £2 one (didn't in past, haven't checked in a while). He's not messaged back, so think Tesco is out for us. Will try Sainsbury's next, maybe in a couple of days now...
Aldi, Vitacat 20 litre for £1.55. decent
ibblackberry109/03/2020 20:45

Aldi, Vitacat 20 litre for £1.55. decent

Ah, didn't even consider Aldi. It's about 3 miles from me unfortunately. Can't see that one online (even just to mention), is it in all stores do you know?
have you considered 'world's best litter' on Amazon? seems pricey but there's really no extra wastage with it. a normal littler bag would last about 3 refills in our house.. but the WBL lasted absolutely aaaages. it's good value, not false economy like cheap lidl /Sainsbury own brand variety.
Toonah09/03/2020 21:12

Ah, didn't even consider Aldi. It's about 3 miles from me unfortunately. …Ah, didn't even consider Aldi. It's about 3 miles from me unfortunately. Can't see that one online (even just to mention), is it in all stores do you know?

Both the stores I visit have lots of it stacked up. Very cheap, I find it very good, moved fro. Catsan at a fraction of the price. Use it slightly more but it's about one seventieth of the price. Only one I use nowadays
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants