Where has my HD space gone after installing Win7?

8 replies
Found 29th Jul 2009
Bit stumped here, i've deleted the old windows programme folder that was left from my Vista install which amounted to about 67gig. Went into disc cleanup as admin and managed to delete the lot but after rebooting i have noticed that my disc space is this:

140 GB free of 232 GB (250GB HD)

I have gone into my drive highlighted every single folder then clicked properties and it shows that i have 53.1 GB installed on that drive. Now im no einstein but that means i have about 40+ GB missing? What's happened here or am i just a complete berk?

thx!

8 Comments

check your "unallocated space" under disk management

Original Poster

Arrgh i can't find it! sorry got my kids with me annoying me to hell!

You chose the upgrade option yeh?

Original Poster

I dl'd the free 1 year trial version (64bit) from MS.

Found it, already been in this this morning haha! bloody kids make my mind go to mush!

Original Poster

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/aphex182/drive.jpg

Nothing unallocated hmm?

edit** it's the middle one and unfortunately the picture is crap lol!

Speaking of Windows 7, those of us with MSDN can get hold of the final retail version next Thursday - 3 months before it hits the shops, yay. :thumbsup:

OP, have you turned off system restore , and complete back up?

Vista works just fine for me atm, as long as the spec is half decent, it runs fine; though had slightly unpleasnant experience with 7 pre-RC version, think wont buy it anytime soon.

aphex187;5878555

Nothing unallocated hmm?edit** it's the middle one and unfortunately the … Nothing unallocated hmm?edit** it's the middle one and unfortunately the picture is crap lol!

thats what happened if you delete a windows partition but not reformat it when installing the new OS

anyway, why would you delete a full version OS and change it with a free trial one? if you want to try Win 7 you can do it using Virtual Disk under your current OS (or do a dual boot)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition56523
    2. Free money and competition entry @ Circle22
    3. Free flights to Europe711
    4. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)44

See more discussions