where is the best place to get a small fridge for medicine

14 replies
Found 7th May
Wheres the cheapest place to get a good mini fridge?

My sisters fridge has died, she needs a small fridge for her insulin as small as possible and wants to spend as little as possible but obviously it needs to be a good proper fridge, it needs to maintain a stable temperature and not get too​ cold or too hot and be very reliable.

1. Ask
  2. Fridge
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Fridge
14 Comments

Original Poster

AO.com seemed a bit pants, I've found 3 to consider on Amazon but i was wondering if anywhere else is better?

Argos

argos.co.uk/pro…893?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158%7Ccid:200294090%7Cagid:12525739130%7Ctid:pla-115453278770%7Ccrid:66128560970%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:10938358828119111713%7Cdvc:m%7Cadp:1o1&gclid=CIXjj-TB3tMCFUqx7QodrE0NEQ

a little Husky fridge would be great x

nataliedonnelly

a little Husky fridge would be great x

​disagree, they weren't cold enough for my wife's mum.

we bought her a small one from Argos for £20, it's lasted about 4 years, it's small and runs on all voltages so we can take on holiday and even runs off a cigarette lighter

Original Poster

She said coolers for drinks are not good enough for insulin she needs a real proper fridge that can maintain a constant temperature at all times of the year and has a viable thermostat.

She's is 100% diabetic no insulin produced by her body at all so very worried about the quality of the fridge as if all her supplies get ruined she's in poo creek and has to run to the hospital.

I think she said it needs to be kept at between 2 and 8c and it absolutely must not get too cold.
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 7th May

Tesco direct - this one is brilliant

tesco.com/dir…565

code for extra £5 off ends today

Edited by: "memmmememe" 7th May

you need to look for a pharmacy fridge for medications. They have alarms fitted if it goes below a certain temperature and are designed especially for medications that have to be stored at a certain temp. Look on Ebay under pharmacy fridges

Insulin will be fine at room temperature for up to a month and until expiry on the pen, i wouldn't worry too much its left out the fridge a week​

Whilst I would be skeptical of a random person advising the above, on a public thread, I did try to verify what he said:

"Storage
Advise the person that:
Insulin that is not currently being used should be stored in a refrigerator (2–8°C).
The person should keep at least one spare insulin vial or cartridge of each type of prescribed insulin.
Insulin must not become frozen; it should be discarded if this occurs.
Vials or pens should not be stored in, or too near to, the freezer section or cooling element of the refrigerator.
Once in use, in general, insulin can be stored at room temperature for 28 days (some insulins may be stable for longer) — advise the person to check the manufacturer's patient information leaflet for storage information.
Insulin must be protected from sunlight and excessive heat (for example it should not be placed near a cooker, on top of electrical equipment, or left in a car during hot weather)."

Source: NHS/NICE Guidelines - cks.nice.org.uk/ins…tes!scenario

Firefly1

Whilst I would be skeptical of a random person advising the above, on a … Whilst I would be skeptical of a random person advising the above, on a public thread, I did try to verify what he said:"StorageAdvise the person that:Insulin that is not currently being used should be stored in a refrigerator (2–8°C).The person should keep at least one spare insulin vial or cartridge of each type of prescribed insulin.Insulin must not become frozen; it should be discarded if this occurs.Vials or pens should not be stored in, or too near to, the freezer section or cooling element of the refrigerator.Once in use, in general, insulin can be stored at room temperature for 28 days (some insulins may be stable for longer) — advise the person to check the manufacturer's patient information leaflet for storage information.Insulin must be protected from sunlight and excessive heat (for example it should not be placed near a cooker, on top of electrical equipment, or left in a car during hot weather)."Source: NHS/NICE Guidelines - https://cks.nice.org.uk/insulin-therapy-in-type-1-diabetes#!scenario

yep you are right, as a nurse we would never administer insulin direct from a fridge (though nothing to say you can't) just advice any unopened pens/vials to be kept in a fridge (away from children)

Original Poster

jackvdbuk

Insulin will be fine at room temperature for up to a month and until … Insulin will be fine at room temperature for up to a month and until expiry on the pen, i wouldn't worry too much its left out the fridge a week

Depends what your using she's ended up in coma before because of improperly stored insulin, i think its the cloudy one thats the most delicate she uses a clear one and a cloudy one daily.

I will​ show her the tesco one for 75 looking at reviews that might be the best bet out of what I've been looking at, seems to be a distinct lack of small larder fridges that don't have ice boxes in them tho.
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 9th May

Error440

She said coolers for drinks are not good enough for insulin she needs a … She said coolers for drinks are not good enough for insulin she needs a real proper fridge that can maintain a constant temperature at all times of the year and has a viable thermostat.She's is 100% diabetic no insulin produced by her body at all so very worried about the quality of the fridge as if all her supplies get ruined she's in poo creek and has to run to the hospital.I think she said it needs to be kept at between 2 and 8c and it absolutely must not get too cold.

That's type 1 diabetes.

Insulin will be fine for a few weeks out of the fridge, so no need for her to panic.

Good luck.

If you were local I've got a spare undercounter fridge you could have, pm me your area if interested.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Aliexpress - To be trusted?45
    2. BBC4 Vietnam War43
    3. With or without cream?56
    4. Mobile WiFi calling?44

See more discussions