Expired

Where is the best place to meet for a Gumtree sale?

Found 8th Apr 2014
Except a dodgy car park..

Is is better to meet in a pub etc rather than at home?

What do people usually do for these things..
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

28 Comments

Supermarket tesco/sainsburys cafe

Some place like a costa coffee shop, or somewhere there are lots of people. service station restaurant.

I have sold items from my home, and collected from sellers homes.

But if you want the safety of not having a stranger at you home then go with costa (if you like coffee!)

Darren

Banned

Depends what you're selling. As a buyer though, if you were selling something electronic and you suggested we don't meet at your home then I'd instantly assume what you're selling is broken and you don't want me to have a way to test it, and you don't want me knowing your address for that reason too.

Original Poster

CBEE2

Depends what you're selling. As a buyer though, if you were selling … Depends what you're selling. As a buyer though, if you were selling something electronic and you suggested we don't meet at your home then I'd instantly assume what you're selling is broken and you don't want me to have a way to test it, and you don't want me knowing your address for that reason too.

That's understandable I could see how that would put buyers off. but don't want a stranger around looking what else there is to steal or coming back to me in a week if they broke it themselves (when the item is immaculate)

Tricky one, never done this stuff before!

I always speak on the phone to a seller / purchaser. You can normally tell from the questions they ask, what they tell you whether they're genuine or not. I've only ever done deals at the sellers home address.

Sounds all quite sinister.
Sold something on gumtree please meet in the underground carpark. Flash your headlights. I will approach, I will have dark glasses on, pass items over, I will hand you the cash in a sealed brown envelope.....

Banned

adamwilko007

That's understandable I could see how that would put buyers off. but … That's understandable I could see how that would put buyers off. but don't want a stranger around looking what else there is to steal or coming back to me in a week if they broke it themselves (when the item is immaculate) Tricky one, never done this stuff before!

I've only sold a fish tank I think, and I've bought lots (but had most delivered to my house for petrol cost) - I've never let anyone inside though, I just tell them I can't let them in cause of the dog and we exchange goods/cash and part ways within minutes.

I'd say if you don't want them coming to you then offer to deliver it to them (only if you don't feel like they are going to kill you), that way they could still test it, and they don't have your address.

I guess at the end of the day - if you're not overcharging for what you're selling then there will be sufficient demand and you can just hold out until you find a buyer than is comfortable to meet on your terms (be it a pub or a busy street)

one thing to never do is accept paypal payment (before or after exchange of items) because you have no proof of delivery and you're screwed if they dispute - so keep it cash only

Outside the local cop shop.

can I just ask what it is? maybe give you better advice if we knew what you were selling

Original Poster

scooby_me

can I just ask what it is? maybe give you better advice if we knew what … can I just ask what it is? maybe give you better advice if we knew what you were selling

Dlsr below £150

costa coffee shop/supermarket with restaurant. one thing I would defo invest in is a not checker pen. its well known that a lot of people will trawl classifieds to buy stuff with fake cash, there only a couple of quid.

Get tickets to a diffrent country do it there n either leave then there or bring them back.

Original Poster

Manny50

Get tickets to a diffrent country do it there n either leave then there … Get tickets to a diffrent country do it there n either leave then there or bring them back.

scooby_me

costa coffee shop/supermarket with restaurant. one thing I would defo … costa coffee shop/supermarket with restaurant. one thing I would defo invest in is a not checker pen. its well known that a lot of people will trawl classifieds to buy stuff with fake cash, there only a couple of quid.

Thanks for great advice

Do you know if any high street shops sell these? As will be meeting sometime this week

All of the people I have sold stuff to via Gumtree have been absolutely fine.

There is no way on earth that someone will go to the trouble of registering on a site to try to find out some unknown sellers address to then scope out your home with a view to pinching stuff - stop being paranoid!!

In reality, a low end d-SLR isn't going to attract scum to your door. It is far more likely to attract a decent person. Don't worry. Good luck with your sale.

Original Poster

Manny50

Get tickets to a diffrent country do it there n either leave then there … Get tickets to a diffrent country do it there n either leave then there or bring them back.

scooby_me

costa coffee shop/supermarket with restaurant. one thing I would defo … costa coffee shop/supermarket with restaurant. one thing I would defo invest in is a not checker pen. its well known that a lot of people will trawl classifieds to buy stuff with fake cash, there only a couple of quid.

Edit looks like staples do at £3 :-)

Plus, all the sales I have done have either been at my home, at their home or in a mutually agreed place somewhere in between our respective homes.

One thing I often do is offer to deliver to their home within a certain radius for free - it may cost me a couple of quid in petrol but it offers a lot of convenience to the buyer and therefore makes it more likely I will make the sale. Plus, in my experience it means they are far less likely to try to do some stupid secondary haggling.

Meet at your bank and have them pay the cash into your account prior to giving the item over. If the notes are fake the cashier will tell you. Plus, where's safer than a bank!?

Ellie Phant

Sounds all quite sinister. Sold something on gumtree please meet in the … Sounds all quite sinister. Sold something on gumtree please meet in the underground carpark. Flash your headlights. I will approach, I will have dark glasses on, pass items over, I will hand you the cash in a sealed brown envelope.....

HAHA! This is exactly what I thought.

@ the OP, you're selling a second hand camera. Stand at your front door to show them it, they don't have to come in. I do think you're making a mountain out of a molehill, sorry! I've bought and sold several things on Gumtree and none of this ever entered my head. Fake money is usually pretty easy to spot, and I'd be suspicious if the notes were all brand new and crisp and the numbers almost matchted! As someone already pointed out, you're generally not going to get dodgy characters turning up for a second hand camera. As someone else said, you just look dodgy yourself if you want to meet elsewhere, as it would seem there is something wrong with your camera. I've never had anyone come back to my door.

momartin

Meet at your bank and have them pay the cash into your account prior to … Meet at your bank and have them pay the cash into your account prior to giving the item over. If the notes are fake the cashier will tell you. Plus, where's safer than a bank!?

I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from a Gumtree seller demanding that! lol

therealslimkaty

I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from a Gumtree seller demanding that! lol

Why? Do you pay with fake notes? What's the problem? There's CCTV for both parties safety, an impartial cashier to check the banknotes etc etc

momartin

Why? Do you pay with fake notes? What's the problem? There's CCTV for … Why? Do you pay with fake notes? What's the problem? There's CCTV for both parties safety, an impartial cashier to check the banknotes etc etc

Because it's beyond paranoid and I would find another second hand camera seller that would bring it to my house or let me go to theirs. Bought and sold a lot of stuff on Gumtree.

therealslimkaty

Because it's beyond paranoid and I would find another second hand camera … Because it's beyond paranoid and I would find another second hand camera seller that would bring it to my house or let me go to theirs. Bought and sold a lot of stuff on Gumtree.

Yes I've sold a lot too. And bought a lot. Genuine buyers don't have a problem with this, I've never had someone walk away from a sale because of this. Not for small amounts but anything over £100 or so I don't see the problem! Maybe 'paranoid' as you say but I have NEVER been scammed!!!

If something of high value then I would say a bank for paying in the cash. If you didn't want to do that then maybe a costa or Mcdonalds or something, but one with CCTV just to cover yourself. I've sold stuff in the past and had people come to my home but have a fairly big dog who would probably put off anyone coming to scope it out in case they wanted to try and break in later lol.

Also, if its something of high value maybe just add to your description all bank notes will be checked. Honest buyers should have no issue with this. Someone mentioned on another thread that the police issue the pens for free I think?

momartin

Yes I've sold a lot too. And bought a lot. Genuine buyers don't have a … Yes I've sold a lot too. And bought a lot. Genuine buyers don't have a problem with this, I've never had someone walk away from a sale because of this. Not for small amounts but anything over £100 or so I don't see the problem! Maybe 'paranoid' as you say but I have NEVER been scammed!!!

Me neither. Over 90% of sellers/buyers aren't scammers, that's mainly why. That and a bit of common is all thats required, no meeting in a bank with CCTVs. hahaha

therealslimkaty

Me neither. Over 90% of sellers/buyers aren't scammers, that's mainly … Me neither. Over 90% of sellers/buyers aren't scammers, that's mainly why. That and a bit of common is all thats required, no meeting in a bank with CCTVs. hahaha

You evidently don't live in Manchester sweetheart!

Original Poster

Will only buy at house unfortunately so there is someone to come back to, might just take a small loss flog it in cex

Sounds like most of you need to move to a better area.

I'd never think of arranging a 'meet' for selling something second hand, it only introduces an air of suspicion.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions