Where might I get gold jewellery valued?

8 replies
Found 9th May
I have inherited some pieces of gold jewellery over the last few years. An engagement ring and a pair of earrings.

Apparently they are of no sentimental value to the family and I have been encouraged to 'do what I like with them'. If they are worth anything, I could certainly put the money to good use!

If they are worth a substantial amount, which we seriously doubt, then I may need to add them to the household contents insurance. If I decide to sell them, who would I sell them to and where would I get them valued? Do you know how much it costs to have items of jewellery valued?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

8 Comments

most jewellers will be able to do this for you. if the items contain diamonds then you will need to go to a diamond jeweller who can grade the stone for you.

My knowledge is very limited but I would say unless it's Cartier or another famous jewellery brand it will be sold as scrap gold.

if there are any gems and they are of high quality (do a Google search on the 4 C's) They could be worth something.

It's all down to quality and craftsmanship of the jewellery!

You could get them valued in any decent independent jeweller! but get more than one opinion

Original Poster

Thank you both. There is a small diamond in the gold ring. Can independent jewellers be trusted to give you a fair price?

squiff

Thank you both. There is a small diamond in the gold ring. Can … Thank you both. There is a small diamond in the gold ring. Can independent jewellers be trusted to give you a fair price?

jewellery is very difficult to sell as the poster above said, they only have scrap value. very odd as people pay vast amount of money for jewellery. guess same sort of thing as designer clothes.

not all jewellers will buy second hand jewellery. ask some independent ones who states that they will buy second hand jewellery and see who gives the best offer, but don't expect much. last resort is to flog it to a pawnbroker.

only certain jewellers will be able to grade diamonds and they will charge you to do so.

squiff

Thank you both. There is a small diamond in the gold ring. Can … Thank you both. There is a small diamond in the gold ring. Can independent jewellers be trusted to give you a fair price?

no! go to a few

Once I bought a brand new diamond ring from goldsmiths for over £700 I took it straight to we buy gold places just to see what they say? they offered me £30 for it! Lol

MCYounes

do a Google search on the 4 C's

Make sure you add "-politicians" to the search term though. Otherwise you'll get results about the election.

Original Poster

Shatwell

Make sure you add "-politicians" to the search term though. Otherwise … Make sure you add "-politicians" to the search term though. Otherwise you'll get results about the election.:D

I thought they WERE one of the four C's!

Thanks everyone for the responses - much appreciated. Will take them to a few jewellers and see if I can find out more about them.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition47382
    2. Win free gin for a year88
    3. Win a short break for two at our hotel of the year: the Pointer, Bucks @ Su…44
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1414

See more discussions