Where should I be looking for a deceased persons death record online?

Found 19th Nov 2017
where can I find a deceased persons death record for free online? This person may not of even passed away. Im just curious as to whether they have or not. Any help much appreciated

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
6 Comments

You could try googling the full name followed by "obituary"

Depends on the age (including DOB), how common the name. likelihood of emigrating, likelihood of changing name.

I do my family tree on ancestry.co.uk and use other sites like freebmd.org.uk and familysearch.org but they can be restrictive and a pain if your searching a John Smith or William Brown

Providing the person had enough money/property to require probate and you can estimate the possible years of death then the government probate site can be helpful, but it's guess work.

Knowing middle names help narrow down if the person's name isn't too unique but if it's a common name the site wont be any use.

The location of the registering of probate office isn't helpful as a lot of the offices have been shut down so there's only a few for each area and if probate is handled by a company/solicitor then the probate office may not even be the nearest one.

I was able to find out that someone I distantly knew had died through this way, fortunately I knew roughly the year of death as I knew they were ill and they had a unique name. I also knew their family wouldn't think to contact me.

Nothing shows other than the name/date of death. It doesn't sound like it'll help too much, but it's free, so worth a try.

probatesearch.service.gov.uk/
Edited by: "Gynx" 19th Nov 2017

Original Poster

philphil6126 m ago

Depends on the age (including DOB), how common the name. likelihood of …Depends on the age (including DOB), how common the name. likelihood of emigrating, likelihood of changing name.I do my family tree on ancestry.co.uk and use other sites like freebmd.org.uk and familysearch.org but they can be restrictive and a pain if your searching a John Smith or William Brown

I’ll try these . I’ve seen a free trial for 2 weeks with ancestry if you cancel in time. I will look into this. It’s not a common name and a google search of it quickly comes up with their details on 192.com but not whether deceased or not. I’ll sign up for ancestry tomorrow. Thanks

Firstly look in a mirror then ask yourself why

Original Poster

Bandicoot2 h, 24 m ago

Firstly look in a mirror then ask yourself why

Why would I need to look in a mirror to ask myself a question?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions