Where to buy a device that scans in barcodes and fetches Amazon prices/info on product?

I asked this on Yahoo Answers, but I've come to realise it's not the best source of information for most things.

Anyway, I saw a book dealer use a device that scanned in a barcode and using mobile internet fetched the value of the product from Amazon and displayed it on a monochrome screen. He said he got it from a library.

Does anyone know what are these devices called and where could I buy one. Ebay is an obvious answer, but I don't know what to search for. Perhaps a well-known brand of these devices..?

I'd be glad of any information, as I really don't have any starting points for research. I see that with a certain app, an iPhone could do the job, but it's not an ideal solution.

20 Comments

As above, iPhone can do this with one of many apps from the app store

redlaser app for iphone-brilliant!

Banned

Androids also have apps for it. You might be able to pick up an older model on the cheap

barky

redlaser app for iphone-brilliant!

will that work on an ipod touch?

Banned

The ipod touch wouldn't work with it as it has no camera to scan the barcode

LOL

Mind you, I think you can get one for the ipod where you can type in the barcode instead of scanning it. Yes it will take longer but its better than buying an iphone when you already have a mobile phone and an ipod touch.

iphone and android phones can do this

(barcode scanner app in marketplace)

Get a pic of the thing you want to buy.

Put pic on ipod touch.

Download amazon app.

App lets you search for an item nby what it looks like and is usually quite accurate.

Banned

mr.potato_head

Get a pic of the thing you want to buy.Put pic on ipod touch.Download … Get a pic of the thing you want to buy.Put pic on ipod touch.Download amazon app.App lets you search for an item nby what it looks like and is usually quite accurate.

Bit long winded!

I love the Bar Code Scanner I've got on my Galaxy S. I used it the other day in ASDA to find that the XBox 360 game my littleun wanted was half the price elsewhere - all in the matter of about 15 seconds. Similarly, it gave me a one click solution for the special delivery return of the Desire going back to Vodafone.

BTW... Google Goggles does what you are referring on Androids - but isnt limited to Amazon.

guv

Bit long winded!I love the Bar Code Scanner I've got on my Galaxy S. I … Bit long winded!I love the Bar Code Scanner I've got on my Galaxy S. I used it the other day in ASDA to find that the XBox 360 game my littleun wanted was half the price elsewhere - all in the matter of about 15 seconds. Similarly, it gave me a one click solution for the special delivery return of the Desire going back to Vodafone.BTW... Google Goggles does what you are referring on Androids - but isnt limited to Amazon.

He only mentioned he had an ipod touch (which doesnt have a camera) so thought this is the only solution without buying extra devices.

Banned

mr.potato_head

He only mentioned he had an ipod touch (which doesnt have a camera) so … He only mentioned he had an ipod touch (which doesnt have a camera) so thought this is the only solution without buying extra devices.

Does he? oO

guv

Does he? oO

Ahh micoo has the ipod touch.

Micoo's thread spoling confused me!

Paddy Charlie

The ipod touch wouldn't work with it as it has no camera to scan the … The ipod touch wouldn't work with it as it has no camera to scan the barcode

that is a suprisingly good poiny X) didnt think of that lol

Banned

mr.potato_head

Ahh micoo has the ipod touch.Micoo's thread spoling confused me!

Micoo confuses everyone!X)

mr.potato_head

Ahh micoo has the ipod touch.Micoo's thread spoling confused me!

guv

Micoo confuses everyone!X)

X) classic, barely had to do a thing and nobody knows whats going on, not even me

Banned

Jeez... These giant smilies viewed on IE6 are doing my head in!

would like to get my hands on one of these too but don't have iphone or smartphone

Original Poster

The thing is, an iPhone is not an ideal solution. Apart from the price, there is the fact that I'm using a small camera, which will pose problems scanning in many barcodes. I've got a laser barcode scanner at home, which struggles with probably 1 in 15 when they haven't been printed properly. I can't imagine a small camera could do a adequate job tbh.

I have an iPod touch actually, but it's no use if there's no wifi, which is always!

What is the cheapest Android phone with a half-decent camera, btw?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk88
    2. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card44
    3. WIN AN UNFORGETTABLE TRIP TO SAN FRANCISCO11
    4. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22

See more discussions