Where to buy jump leads

Found 2nd Mar
Probably not that relevant a question in consideration of how much jump leads cost so we are hardly talking about breaking the bank or making life changing savings!

But thought I should ask anyway for your input.

I have never ever bought jump leads but I thought it is best we get a set as we are going to be driving nearly 2000 miles around Spain soon, so just in case we break down, they may come in handy.

Where is the best place to get these? Ebay?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
"so just in case we break down" - I thought you were getting breakdown cover?
Edited by: "tregs" 2nd Mar
43 Comments
Halfords?
Local Car store?
Amazon?
Might also be worth looking into portable jump starters.
Screwfix. Buy the long ones. If you need em, you really need em and p'ing around with short ones can be a deal breaker.
"so just in case we break down" - I thought you were getting breakdown cover?
Also think about getting a lighter socket volt meter or multi meter for the glovebox, always handy to see if it's your battery or alternator giving you problems.
If you want proper peace of mind consider RAC European Cover

Link here
bp241122 m ago

Might also be worth looking into portable jump starters.

We have this already which we will bring with us. It needs to be plugged in so wont work if we break down on a motorway
mutley11 m ago

We have this already which we will bring with us. It needs to be plugged …We have this already which we will bring with us. It needs to be plugged in so wont work if we break down on a motorway

How old is your car?
ccnp23 m ago

Screwfix. Buy the long ones. If you need em, you really need em and …Screwfix. Buy the long ones. If you need em, you really need em and p'ing around with short ones can be a deal breaker.

That was going to be a question. I have no idea even how to work the jump leads, but i plan to watch a you tube video as it cant be rocket science right?

Are all jump leads the same or do they come in different quality. You mentioned length, i thought they all came the same length, so something new i have learnt today What is considered decent length for jump leads?
mutley115 m ago

We have this already which we will bring with us. It needs to be plugged …We have this already which we will bring with us. It needs to be plugged in so wont work if we break down on a motorway

Sorry I meant the ones you charge at home, looks like a power bank, then can be recharged via mains or lighter socket
tregs46 m ago

"so just in case we break down" - I thought you were getting breakdown …"so just in case we break down" - I thought you were getting breakdown cover?

Where did your reply to my post go with you refusing to pay £90 for the 3 week cover abroad go?
To be fair, if you are that bothered about breaking down, it is a reasonable insurance cover
bp24111 h, 51 m ago

Also think about getting a lighter socket volt meter or multi meter for …Also think about getting a lighter socket volt meter or multi meter for the glovebox, always handy to see if it's your battery or alternator giving you problems.

This is beyond me. I have no idea what an alternator is and wouldnt have a clue what to do if it is faulty
bp24111 h, 27 m ago

Sorry I meant the ones you charge at home, looks like a power bank, then …Sorry I meant the ones you charge at home, looks like a power bank, then can be recharged via mains or lighter socket

Really? You can get precharged ones? I didnt know this. I will dig out the one we have. It may actually be one that can be precharged. We have never used it and it has a plug, so i just assumed it needs plugging in when i connect thejump lead.
OllieSt1 h, 58 m ago

If you want proper peace of mind consider RAC European CoverLink here

it quoted £161 for standard cover for the three weeks that we are in spain. I think this is poor value. I tend to view things in terms of value rather than peace of mind.

i got the cheapest quote from moneymarket comparison website for £90, but i think it is only good value to us, if it is around £50. I know the difference is only £40 but value wise, it doesnt hold up
mutley118 m ago

it quoted £161 for standard cover for the three weeks that we are in …it quoted £161 for standard cover for the three weeks that we are in spain. I think this is poor value. I tend to view things in terms of value rather than peace of mind.i got the cheapest quote from moneymarket comparison website for £90, but i think it is only good value to us, if it is around £50. I know the difference is only £40 but value wise, it doesnt hold up

It's the same with all insurance. If you don't break down then they would have all represented poor value for money. However if you did breakdown £40, £90 or even £160 would be superb value for money. Of course it's your call

On the other hand what makes you think you're going to need a jump start? Why not get your battery tested before departing?

And I don't think £7.50 a day for peace of mind is bad value. It will cost you that and more for CDW on a hire car although I believe your taking your own vehicle.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 2nd Mar
OllieSt7 m ago

It's the same with all insurance. If you don't break down then they would …It's the same with all insurance. If you don't break down then they would have all represented poor value for money. However if you did breakdown £40, £90 or even £160 would be superb value for money. Of course it's your call

I am a risk analyst. I dont value insurance premiums, but i am the sort of person that would be employed by an insurer to calculate premium. Some insurance are very good value, like travel insurance or buildings insurance, but break down insurance for us personally, taking into account our personal circumstance is only good value at the £50 mark
mutley12 m ago

I am a risk analyst. I dont value insurance premiums, but i am the sort …I am a risk analyst. I dont value insurance premiums, but i am the sort of person that would be employed by an insurer to calculate premium. Some insurance are very good value, like travel insurance or buildings insurance, but break down insurance for us personally, taking into account our personal circumstance is only good value at the £50 mark

Fair enough. It will be your personal circumstance if you do break down that is for sure. If you have £50 to spend you'll get a fine set of jump leads
OllieSt12 m ago

It's the same with all insurance. If you don't break down then they would …It's the same with all insurance. If you don't break down then they would have all represented poor value for money. However if you did breakdown £40, £90 or even £160 would be superb value for money. Of course it's your callOn the other hand what makes you think you're going to need a jump start? Why not get your battery tested before departing?And I don't think £7.50 a day for peace of mind is bad value. It will cost you that and more for CDW on a hire car although I believe your taking your own vehicle.

And being a risk analyst, i like to be covered for all eventualities. It is very unlikely that our battery will go flat as we get our car serviced regularly and we dont have a problem with the battery, but jump leads cost nothing and always worth having in the car, just in case
mutley17 m ago

And being a risk analyst, i like to be covered for all eventualities. It …And being a risk analyst, i like to be covered for all eventualities. It is very unlikely that our battery will go flat as we get our car serviced regularly and we dont have a problem with the battery, but jump leads cost nothing and always worth having in the car, just in case

Well if you haven't got breakdown cover you are not covered for all eventualities. I trust you deem it neccasary to have breakdown cover in the UK
Edited by: "OllieSt" 2nd Mar
OllieSt7 m ago

Well if you haven't got breakdown cover you are not covered by all …Well if you haven't got breakdown cover you are not covered by all eventualities. I trust you deem it neccasary to have breakdown cover in the UK

I had break down insurance when i had my own car as i never serviced the car so i relied on break down cover to tell me when the car was broke

The current car belongs to my husband and he has never had breakdown cover and has never broken down in all the years that he had owned a car, except he had to change the tyres once, but he can do that anyway himself.
mutley11 m ago

I had break down insurance when i had my own car as i never serviced the …I had break down insurance when i had my own car as i never serviced the car so i relied on break down cover to tell me when the car was broke The current car belongs to my husband and he has never had breakdown cover and has never broken down in all the years that he had owned a car, except he had to change the tyres once, but he can do that anyway himself.

Cool, so if your husband has never needed breakdown service or jump leads just buy a meal with the £50 you seem to want to spend on something you quite clearly don't need.
Got some from tesco they were plenty long enough, the label on the packaging said for engines upto 2 ltr, not sure why but they were fine for the sons 4.2 ltr v8
Something like this, not recommending this one, the link is purely to show you what I'm talking about.

amazon.co.uk/Sta…615
I bought some for £90 seems expensive but absolute god send. Last 5 weeks on a full charge.
These they are from argos.

argos.co.uk/pro…555
One factor you haven't allowed for is Language problems and recovery of your vehicle if it is unfixable. From many trips on the continent and a few car/motorcycle issues while there, finding someone you can communicate with while trying to deal with a technical issue is tricky. Yes, you are more likely to find an English speaking mechanic in France these days, but whether the level of English is adequate for you to get service that you need. As an example, last year I stupidly left the water cap off my camper van behind at a campsite. After finding a camper van dealer, it took half an hour to describe/draw what I needed. It would have been a lot easier if the mechanic would have been prepared to walk across the car park and look at the van, but he was on his very French lunch break!! Anyway, the point is, if you break down, having the RAC on the phone liaising with you and arranging help is a big relief. Which brings me neatly to recovery. If you break down anywhere in the UK arranging recovery is an expensive but easy job. In Europe, doing it on your own in a foreign language potentially is a nightmare. Our friends van took 2 months to re-cover from France a few years back.
RAC or equivalent is a bargain for peace of mind. Topcashback often has big cashback deals on RAC.
Jump Leads are a good idea too. Get Long ones rated for big diesel engines. Cheap ones can melt under extreme load.
airbus3301 h, 38 m ago

One factor you haven't allowed for is Language problems and recovery of …One factor you haven't allowed for is Language problems and recovery of your vehicle if it is unfixable. From many trips on the continent and a few car/motorcycle issues while there, finding someone you can communicate with while trying to deal with a technical issue is tricky. Yes, you are more likely to find an English speaking mechanic in France these days, but whether the level of English is adequate for you to get service that you need. As an example, last year I stupidly left the water cap off my camper van behind at a campsite. After finding a camper van dealer, it took half an hour to describe/draw what I needed. It would have been a lot easier if the mechanic would have been prepared to walk across the car park and look at the van, but he was on his very French lunch break!! Anyway, the point is, if you break down, having the RAC on the phone liaising with you and arranging help is a big relief. Which brings me neatly to recovery. If you break down anywhere in the UK arranging recovery is an expensive but easy job. In Europe, doing it on your own in a foreign language potentially is a nightmare. Our friends van took 2 months to re-cover from France a few years back.RAC or equivalent is a bargain for peace of mind. Topcashback often has big cashback deals on RAC.Jump Leads are a good idea too. Get Long ones rated for big diesel engines. Cheap ones can melt under extreme load.

very true, everything that you say. which is why breakdown cover for abroad is so expensive as they rely on drivers worrying about not being able to communicate and get the help needed. a spaniard buying breakdown cover for 3 weeks would not be paying £162. it is only this expensive because we are buying it from the UK.

all we need is to get a garage to come out and that would be achievable in this modern day of everyone being able to speak basic english in Spain, where there are so many Brits over there that the natives have learnt to speak english to accommodate the big trade to the brits. We are going to southern spain, which is pretty much Brit territory so language barrier is not going to be that much of an issue. not to mention we now have google translate, which is brill

the probability of our car breaking down during the 3 weeks that we are there is less than 5% so it is only a minor precaution, which i would be prepared to pay for if it wasn't going to be a total rip off, which not surprisingly it is.
mutley116 h, 38 m ago

That was going to be a question. I have no idea even how to work the jump …That was going to be a question. I have no idea even how to work the jump leads, but i plan to watch a you tube video as it cant be rocket science right? Are all jump leads the same or do they come in different quality. You mentioned length, i thought they all came the same length, so something new i have learnt today What is considered decent length for jump leads?

Yes they come in different lengths quality and have amp ratings but the ratings are not very good as they can choose put any rating they like kind of as some just put its maximum amps that can pass thorough it for say 5 seconds without burning the cables so in real life they wouldn't really do this as u ain't going just use for 5 seconds. If they had a proper rating system this maybe helpful.
mutley114 h, 38 m ago

And being a risk analyst, i like to be covered for all eventualities. It …And being a risk analyst, i like to be covered for all eventualities. It is very unlikely that our battery will go flat as we get our car serviced regularly and we dont have a problem with the battery, but jump leads cost nothing and always worth having in the car, just in case

bet you wish you didn't return that car battery charger you 'borrowed' from Halfords last year...
Does depend on ur vehicle aswell. Avoid the less than 16mm thick cable unless u have a small sized engine even then u may upgrade in future and they will be useless.
adamspencer956 m ago

bet you wish you didn't return that car battery charger you 'borrowed' …bet you wish you didn't return that car battery charger you 'borrowed' from Halfords last year...

we decided not to return it in the end as we thought it may come in useful one day, like the jump leads. i still haven't read the instructions, which i need to do as it may be a pre-charged one, in which case i don't even need the jump leads. i only need the jump leads if that charger needs to be plugged in when charging the car.

it was not borrowed but bought so please refrain from making antagonistic comments in my thread as i will ask the mod to remove it if you continue to do so.
MynameisM9 m ago

Does depend on ur vehicle aswell. Avoid the less than 16mm thick cable …Does depend on ur vehicle aswell. Avoid the less than 16mm thick cable unless u have a small sized engine even then u may upgrade in future and they will be useless.

we have a vauxhall zafira 1.8L petrol engine. did not know that jump leads can be so technical. explains why they are so different in price when i quickly googled jump leads for sale.
mutley16 m ago

we have a vauxhall zafira 1.8L petrol engine. did not know that jump …we have a vauxhall zafira 1.8L petrol engine. did not know that jump leads can be so technical. explains why they are so different in price when i quickly googled jump leads for sale.

The thickness of the wires plus the connectors would be main thing as there's different quality u can have cheap flimsy clamps with very thin clamps underneath I have seen this myself on the cheap cables from superstores with 8mm wire they bend in ur hand when u try put then on for example. Plus some sellers are having massive mark ups . Those cables I have posted if they really are them thicknesses he 25mm. You will struggle to get that muh cable for that same price let alone making into jump leads so look very good value. The clamps on there own are expensive to buy if you look at them on there own.
How old is the battery on the vehicle if it's around 5 years or more. U may aswell get a new battery won't be more than £40 a half decent one For it as batteries don't tend last much longer than 7 years I reckon most of the time. Main thing for long journeys would be keeping a eye on all fluid levels and topping up as necessary as longer journeys tend to make u top the coolant levels up or engine oil for some reason maybe it's the higher heat of constant driving.
Edited by: "MynameisM" 3rd Mar
MynameisM3 m ago

How old is the battery on the vehicle if it's around 5 years or more. U …How old is the battery on the vehicle if it's around 5 years or more. U may aswell get a new battery won't be more than £40 a half decent one For it

i don't know how old the battery is but we get our car fully serviced every year by vauxhall and they test the battery so would have replaced it if this was needed.
MynameisM8 m ago

How old is the battery on the vehicle if it's around 5 years or more. U …How old is the battery on the vehicle if it's around 5 years or more. U may aswell get a new battery won't be more than £40 a half decent one For it as batteries don't tend last much longer than 7 years I reckon most of the time. Main thing for long journeys would be keeping a eye on all fluid levels and topping up as necessary as longer journeys tend to make u top the coolant levels up or engine oil for some reason maybe it's the higher heat of constant driving.

we are not unfamiliar with long distance driving as we often do long distance driving in the UK and we have travelled around Spain before. although we will rack up high mileage when we are there during the 3 weeks, we will be taking several breaks so the car is not put under extreme stress for too long each day.

i just want to have stuff ready in the unlikely event that the car breaks down. it hasn't had any issue so far so i don't anticipate it will have any issue during those particular 3 weeks unless we do something stupid, like leave the engine running when we are not in the car, chasing after the dog
mutley152 m ago

very true, everything that you say. which is why breakdown cover for …very true, everything that you say. which is why breakdown cover for abroad is so expensive as they rely on drivers worrying about not being able to communicate and get the help needed. a spaniard buying breakdown cover for 3 weeks would not be paying £162. it is only this expensive because we are buying it from the UK.all we need is to get a garage to come out and that would be achievable in this modern day of everyone being able to speak basic english in Spain, where there are so many Brits over there that the natives have learnt to speak english to accommodate the big trade to the brits. We are going to southern spain, which is pretty much Brit territory so language barrier is not going to be that much of an issue. not to mention we now have google translate, which is brill the probability of our car breaking down during the 3 weeks that we are there is less than 5% so it is only a minor precaution, which i would be prepared to pay for if it wasn't going to be a total rip off, which not surprisingly it is.

Lol, an interesting discussion on the perception of risk. I largely agree with the way you are thinking and it is fair to say all insurances are bought on the basis that you worry about the what might happen! I don't really get, if you are confident in the integrity of your car, why you'd bother getting jump leads. Flat batteries aren't all that common in warmer climates, unless you leave the lights on for a long time or you have a serious charging issue, where jump leads aren't really going to help anyway Also, assuming you are driving from the UK to S.Spain, a lot of the places you might break down are not going to be in the English speaking neighborhoods of the Costa del Sol!. Try a motorway phone on a French autoroute and see what the level of English is like! Anyway, have a good trip and I hope St. Christopher watches over your progress to keep the gremlins away. If you decide to get the RAC, I got a quote for a 10 yr old Fiesta for 3 weeks in Spain, it worked out at £100 including 26.25% cashback from TCB. Bon voyage.
airbus3309 m ago

Lol, an interesting discussion on the perception of risk. I largely agree …Lol, an interesting discussion on the perception of risk. I largely agree with the way you are thinking and it is fair to say all insurances are bought on the basis that you worry about the what might happen! I don't really get, if you are confident in the integrity of your car, why you'd bother getting jump leads. Flat batteries aren't all that common in warmer climates, unless you leave the lights on for a long time or you have a serious charging issue, where jump leads aren't really going to help anyway Also, assuming you are driving from the UK to S.Spain, a lot of the places you might break down are not going to be in the English speaking neighborhoods of the Costa del Sol!. Try a motorway phone on a French autoroute and see what the level of English is like! Anyway, have a good trip and I hope St. Christopher watches over your progress to keep the gremlins away. If you decide to get the RAC, I got a quote for a 10 yr old Fiesta for 3 weeks in Spain, it worked out at £100 including 26.25% cashback from TCB. Bon voyage.

we are not driving from the UK to spain. we are getting the ferry from the UK to northern spain. we are driving from northern spain to southern spain and around southern spain.

when we get a break down quote for spain from the UK, the insurer would assume that we are driving from the UK to spain so that increases the probability of a break down. the insurer would assume that our car is more likely to have issues as people who get break down cover will tend to do so as their car is unreliable or has a history of breaking down. the fact that our car is reliable, always fully serviced and has little mileage on it even though it is not a new car, is not taken into account in the quote. so for us personally, the insurer is calculating that we are a higher risk than we actually are and charging us accordingly.

you may be right about me forgetting about jump leads at all. hmmmm....
mutley11 h, 30 m ago

very true, everything that you say. which is why breakdown cover for …very true, everything that you say. which is why breakdown cover for abroad is so expensive as they rely on drivers worrying about not being able to communicate and get the help needed. a spaniard buying breakdown cover for 3 weeks would not be paying £162. it is only this expensive because we are buying it from the UK.all we need is to get a garage to come out and that would be achievable in this modern day of everyone being able to speak basic english in Spain, where there are so many Brits over there that the natives have learnt to speak english to accommodate the big trade to the brits. We are going to southern spain, which is pretty much Brit territory so language barrier is not going to be that much of an issue. not to mention we now have google translate, which is brill the probability of our car breaking down during the 3 weeks that we are there is less than 5% so it is only a minor precaution, which i would be prepared to pay for if it wasn't going to be a total rip off, which not surprisingly it is.

Some of your figures sound a little high there. E.g. qdos annual European cover is £62.99 - quidco 16% cash back. Older the Vechile is the more it goes up but not excessively.
That isn't me hunting the best deal just first example. In doing your comparisons did you check the annual ones?
Bertz993rd Mar

Some of your figures sound a little high there. E.g. qdos annual European …Some of your figures sound a little high there. E.g. qdos annual European cover is £62.99 - quidco 16% cash back. Older the Vechile is the more it goes up but not excessively.That isn't me hunting the best deal just first example. In doing your comparisons did you check the annual ones?

i will have a look at qdos. i did not look at annual, just for the 3 weeks that we are there as i assumed that an annual one would be much more expensive. i don't have quidco, only TCB, but i would not rely on cashback when i make a purchase decision.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants