Groups

Where to buy RAM?

Father's Day is coming and my dad wants a RAM upgrade for his computer. He currently has two 2GB of DDR3, and wants to replace with two 4GB sticks.
    Speccy says he has: "4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)", and he want the 4GB sticks to be faster than 665MHz.

I've never bought RAM before and don't want to buy poor quality or get ripped off buy a known brand.

Can someone suggest a good deal or reputable product/retailer?

Thanks!

24 Comments

Crucial

Second that. You can't go wrong with them.

Dont forget to check your motherboard to see what ram it can support

Original Poster

Is £25 for each 4GB stick about right? Like

edit: check the motherboard and the specs state:

>2 x DIMM, Max. 16GB, DDR3 1333/1066 MHz Memory
    >Dual Channel Memory Architecture

So I should not buy 1600 MHz RAM, and the only 1333MHz 4GB on ebuyer is:

ebuyer.com/394…h-4

is it odd that the slower RAM is more expensive?
    Edited by: "dougiegee2003" 12th Jun

Original Poster

Tried the tool, but all the recommendations were DDR3-1600 (or higher) which I'm not sure would actually be compatible, since the manufacturer only states 1333/1066 MHz (which is still much better than the 667MHz currently in use).

Crucial's scanner isn't always accurate.

The main thing you need to know aside from type and capacity is form factor and supported speeds.

Form factor is generally either SODIMM for laptops or DIMM/UDIMM for desktops, but some smaller desktops do use SODIMMs and if it's a server if may be RDIMMs.

If you want to buy something faster than the current DDR-1333 then the first thing to do is to check what speeds his system/motherboard supports. It could well support nothing faster than he has already.

As for brand. memory is often treated as a commodity with the brand not being of particular importance. You might get slightly better QA from a brand so there's less chance of it arriving dead but there's no big benefits available over the cheapest so it's not worth paying any significant amount more.

The mobo should have no issues downclocking the RAM frequency and timings to match whatever it can officially support. Do make sure the form factor is correct. In my experience RAM is relatively safe to get off eBay for cheaper, if you're willing to run Memtest for absolute peace of mind/don't mind dealing with PayPal if there IS a problem.
    Edited by: "andreprashad" 12th Jun

I usually go for CCL
    cclonline.com/pro…65/
    and if you do put 1600 in a board that cant run that it will just run at the level it can 1600 is supported on most boards but when you actually check it wont be running at 1600 usually less unless you change the frequency in the bios

Hi, is it a branded computer ( ie shop purchased ) if so look for the model number of the computer and google what motherboard is installed, as this will go to the manufactured website and give you the exact compatible ram used on that board.

Second option is too undo the side panel of the tower and look for the model number of the motherboard and google as above or give me the model number of the motherboard and i will search for you. I just recently got second hand ddr3 4gb stick of memory with heat spreaders from cex for £10 for a cheap customer build with the option of returning if found incompatible or faulty which for me and the customer worked perfect. only an option there are many more valuable opinions therefore please consider the most suitable.

hope this helps regards mark

Original Poster

It was an eBay computer from a couple years back, Speccy says the motherboard is "ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8H61-I/RM/SI (LGA1155)", which I believe is this: asus.com/Mot…ns/
    I don't know how he'd feel about used RAM, although the computer was build from used parts when he bought it!
    Edited by: "dougiegee2003" 12th Jun

Hi, go for 1x8gb stick as there is two dim slots and one is taken up with 1 4gb stick this will take it to 10gb best option, I am looking on ebay at present for suitable ram for around £25-£30

sorry just read and stated you had 2x2gb not 1x4gb
    Edited by: "123mark123" 12th Jun

Original Poster

He currently has 2x 2GB sticks, and has asked for 2x 4GB to replace them both.

dougiegee2003

He currently has 2x 2GB sticks, and has asked for 2x 4GB to replace them … He currently has 2x 2GB sticks, and has asked for 2x 4GB to replace them both.

the reason why I said go for 1x8 is the motherboard goes to 2x8gb max 16gb and for £29.95 he could get 10gb of ram for now and when ram goes down in price he could replace the other 2gb stick for another 8gb making it upto 16gb in total future proofing the computer.

123mark123

the reason why I said go for 1x8 is the motherboard goes to 2x8gb max … the reason why I said go for 1x8 is the motherboard goes to 2x8gb max 16gb and for £29.95 he could get 10gb of ram for now and when ram goes down in price he could replace the other 2gb stick for another 8gb making it upto 16gb in total future proofing the computer.

if he wants them both replacing then buy 2 taking it to 16gb instead of 8gb best of both worlds, it will fly after that. considering you were going to spend £50 ish this is around £15 more for double, corsair ram, and new. upto you though.

You want to buy 2x4GB DDR3 1333MHz 240 pin for dual channel, anything more is an overkill (unless he's a gamer). Anytime I need to buy computer parts I always head over to eBay. If you don't mind waiting a couple of week I would buy these for £33.18.
    Or you can buy 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz for £30. Your mobo will just downclock the RAM frequency and timings (andreprashad comment #9 has rightly said).

Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 12th Jun

Just to let you know, the current ram at 665mhz is actually running at 1333mhz but it shows half as it's dual channel. Regardless he's unlikely to ever notice the difference in speed between ram sticks. I'd just get the cheapest big brand you can. Whilst 2x 4GB might give a slight performance boost, even someone absolutely maxing out the PC is unlikely to really notice other than benchmarks, I agree with the recommendation to get one 8GB stick if the board can take it, also make sure he's on a 64bit OS.

dcx_badass

Just to let you know, the current ram at 665mhz is actually running at … Just to let you know, the current ram at 665mhz is actually running at 1333mhz but it shows half as it's dual channel.

That's not the case and would show 665Mhz if it was part of a single channel or quad channel setup as well, as that's the actual frequency it's running at.

The 1333 'Mhz' is an made-up speed figure that dates back to when DDR initially came out and gives the memory's equivalent speed to the SDR SDRAM memory type that preceded it.

What cpu does your dad's PC have? You might want to consider upgrading that too if you want a performance increase.

Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 12th Jun

dougiegee2003

\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09Father's Day is coming and my dad wants a RAM … \x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09Father's Day is coming and my dad wants a RAM upgrade for his computer. He currently has two 2GB of DDR3, and wants to replace with two 4GB sticks.Speccy says he has: "4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)", and he want the 4GB sticks to be faster than 665MHz.I've never bought RAM before and don't want to buy poor quality or get ripped off buy a known brand.Can someone suggest a good deal or reputable product/retailer?Thanks!\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09

665 is 1333, it's just the way it shows up in the system bucause DDR means double data rate. If you have access to the computer, during office hours if you go to overclockers.co.uk they will be happy to offer any advice online for no cost to yourself. The difference between 1333 and 1600 is so small your dad will not notice it. The only benefit you'll be getting really is doubling the amount of ram available, but if you don't use it all you'll again not notice any difference. Really depends on if he's currently using all available RAM. The most effective way to get a performance increase is to replace the primary HDD with a SSD and then place the HDD as a secondary drive

As someone else said, and I forgot (because it's been years since I used 32bit OS), needs to be a 64bit operating system else you'll still only get 4GB available due to system limitations

My RAM was showing at 1066Mhz, this was in reality 2133Mhz, now I've overclocked it shows 1501Mhz but in reality is 3000Mhz

Computer numbers are very confusing

Edited by: "xfaxfa" 12th Jun

hi, one of them ram sticks just sold an hour ago so only two left if you wanted 1 stick of 8gb or 2x8gb as there not bad for the price. upto you though only giving you a heads up.

ebay.co.uk/itm…rue
    Edited by: "123mark123" 12th Jun

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, my dad knows more about computers than I do and I tend to believe him if he says he just needs/wants more RAM (I'm pretty sure it's a 64bit version of windows 10). He doesn't use it for games (not recent ones anyway), just watching/downloading movies and browsing. I'm just flicking through eBay for 4GB-1333 pairs, I think after everything learned in this thread I won't get the wrong kind!

dougiegee2003

Thanks for the advice, my dad knows more about computers than I do and I … Thanks for the advice, my dad knows more about computers than I do and I tend to believe him if he says he just needs/wants more RAM (I'm pretty sure it's a 64bit version of windows 10). He doesn't use it for games (not recent ones anyway), just watching/downloading movies and browsing. I'm just flicking through eBay for 4GB-1333 pairs, I think after everything learned in this thread I won't get the wrong kind!

Cheap 1333 2x4GB will be suffice. If your Dads system has recently taken a nose dive in performance then maybe it's something else. A clean system should run fine for browsing / video playback with just 4GB, I'm currently using 2GB of my available 16GB and Im running several applications in the background, I do far more than just browse. Like I said, best performance increases come from having an SSD.

Good luck to you and I hope you make your Dad very happy on fathers day

Higher speed RAM will generally have lower options in the SPD (which is where it gets the auto settings from)
    My 1866MHz has settings for that, 1600, 1333 and some lower, not sure if CPU-Z is reporting them all
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cool kettle Bosch kettle cashback won't work. Help!11
      2. Three connection910
      3. DVD storage34
      4. What will £250 get me second hand mobile44

See more discussions