Where to Download Drivers for Older Hardware?

Found 24th May
I am looking for drivers for an old Gigabyte GA-8I915PMD (Grantsdale Intel Socket 775) motherboard that came from a Packard Bell PC (an Imedia Desktop PC Model: UT0W-SUN) circa around 2006. The trouble is I seem to have hit a brick wall as I cannot find any mention of the board whatsoever on the Gigabyte support site nor can I find the model of PC on the Packard Bell support download site.

I can only guess that maybe this PC and motherboard came out before drivers were widely distributed online or the drivers get removed when the hardware reaches a certain vintage? Seems odd though that as far as the Internet is concerned this PC and motherboard simply do not seem to exist, unless I'm missing something?

So to the main question, could anyone recommend any good PC driver archive sites where I may be able to find drivers for this system (the motherboard mainly)?

Alternatively, if by some happy coincidence anyone actually has drivers for this machine, I would be eternally grateful if you could upload them so I can get hold of them.

Thank you in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Have you tried looking at the motherboard to see what chipset it has ?
computer-help-tips.blogspot.co.uk/201…m=1

Looks like you just need generic device drivers for that board. Have a look at the bottom of that page and it will tell you what chipset drivers you need.
Drop the MD from the motherboard naming and you get three revisions all with driver support, I would think it would be one of those....

gigabyte.com/Mot…-1x
The Packard Bell name has changed ownership a few times over the years, as a budget brand it's not surprising the current owner doesn't provide support for systems that were nothing to do with them.

The motherboard may also have been specific to that machine and originally supported by the manufacturer as part of the whole PC and not Gigabyte.

You should be able to find the drivers from the individual component manufacturers though. Intel chipset drivers, Realtek sound drivers, Broadcom network drivers and so on.

Which drivers are you missing?
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 24th May
Just Google the model of what you want to update followed by the word "drivers" works for me
Install a program like driver booster and let it find all the latest drivers for you.
EndlessWaves3 h, 25 m ago

The Packard Bell name has changed ownership a few times over the years, as …The Packard Bell name has changed ownership a few times over the years, as a budget brand it's not surprising the current owner doesn't provide support for systems that were nothing to do with them.The motherboard may also have been specific to that machine and originally supported by the manufacturer as part of the whole PC and not Gigabyte.You should be able to find the drivers from the individual component manufacturers though. Intel chipset drivers, Realtek sound drivers, Broadcom network drivers and so on. Which drivers are you missing?

The main sticking point is that I need Windows 9x drivers (ideally win 98) and as this board is circa 2006 I have a feeling it may be too new for Win 9x support.

I haven't actually set it up myself as I am actually giving the board away as it was in a PC I recently upgraded to something newer but a friend said they would take it off my hands to use for a retro PC gaming project but asked if I could include Windows 98 drivers as they want to use it to play older games...
The manufacturers generally offer all available drivers so if the board had Windows 98 drivers to begin with then they'll likely still be available.

A quick check suggests there was some support for Intel 915 chipsets for Windows 98 SE.
downloadcenter.intel.com/dow…789
Why don't your mate take the PC off your hands and install Win10 on it (Win10 has it own drivers). Then install an emulator(s) to play retro games.
Just install Windows 98 on it and see what happens 1st.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants