Where to get isopropyl alcohol

Posted 29th Mar
where I can get isopropyl alcohol at a reasonable price? I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

35 Comments
ebay
I've used Isopropyl Alcohol around the house as a general cleaner, degreaser, sanitiser, etc for a while. Typical price I paid late last year was £15 for 5 litres. It looks to be about 5 to 10 times that on ebay now.
rmjowen29/03/2020 17:37

I've used Isopropyl Alcohol around the house as a general cleaner, …I've used Isopropyl Alcohol around the house as a general cleaner, degreaser, sanitiser, etc for a while. Typical price I paid late last year was £15 for 5 litres. It looks to be about 5 to 10 times that on ebay now.

Thanks. Yep it's 5 times that now
people profteering again i see
Yep, I've just checked for my own benefit. I bought 1 litre for £5.30 before stuff happened, now it's £30 for the same.
Lots on eBay around £5 to £6 for 5 Litres.
40222142-0yq7R.jpg
slimy3129/03/2020 17:57

Yep, I've just checked for my own benefit. I bought 1 litre for £5.30 …Yep, I've just checked for my own benefit. I bought 1 litre for £5.30 before stuff happened, now it's £30 for the same.

Those that have raised their prices tenfold can be reported on eBay for price gouging. It’s against their t&cs
rmjowen29/03/2020 17:37

I've used Isopropyl Alcohol around the house as a general cleaner, …I've used Isopropyl Alcohol around the house as a general cleaner, degreaser, sanitiser, etc for a while. Typical price I paid late last year was £15 for 5 litres. It looks to be about 5 to 10 times that on ebay now.

ebay.co.uk/hel…105

How to report an itemWe encourage our community to report any listings they suspect of price gouging to us. We take these reports very seriously and will take action as necessary. To get started, choose an item from the list above, select Report an item below, or to report directly from the listing, follow these steps:

Go to the listing and choose Report item, which you'll find next to the description and shipping and payment options.On the File a report page, select Prohibited & Restricted items in the Report Category field.In the Reason for report field, select Price gouging.Select an option from the Detailed Reason field and then Send.
ebay.co.uk/hel…105

How to report an itemWe encourage our community to report any listings they suspect of price gouging to us. We take these reports very seriously and will take action as necessary. To get started, choose an item from the list above, select Report an item below, or to report directly from the listing, follow these steps:

Go to the listing and choose Report item, which you’ll find next to the description and shipping and payment options.On the File a report page, select Prohibited & Restricted items in the Report Category field.In the Reason for report field, select Price gouging.Select an option from the Detailed Reason field and then Send.
fearghalg29/03/2020 19:12

ebay.co.uk/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/reporting-price-gouging-ebay?id=5105How to report an itemWe encourage our community to report any listings they suspect of price gouging to us. We take these reports very seriously and will take action as necessary. To get started, choose an item from the list above, select Report an item below, or to report directly from the listing, follow these steps:Go to the listing and choose Report item, which you’ll find next to the description and shipping and payment options.On the File a report page, select Prohibited & Restricted items in the Report Category field.In the Reason for report field, select Price gouging.Select an option from the Detailed Reason field and then Send.

I've reported about 10 over the last week, there are also a load of obvious scams too, 5l for less than £10.
rmjowen29/03/2020 19:32

I've reported about 10 over the last week, there are also a load of …I've reported about 10 over the last week, there are also a load of obvious scams too, 5l for less than £10.

It’s disgusting. People selling face masks for 10 times their RRP too. I am trained in fitting and testing these masks for use and it infuriates me to see people selling PPE at ridiculous prices ripping people off. And to think we struggle like hell to get people to wear a face mask on construction sites when they are cutting silica based products. Now people are lining up to buy them at stupid prices. The RRP of a box of disposable masks is around £30 max. Now one mask is being sold for that. Horrible people.
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell29/03/2020 18:07

Lots on eBay around £5 to £6 for 5 Litres.[Image]

Except they do not look legit-new sellers-too cheap-Chinese and possibly fake-just read some of the comments please check before you post.

One of these sellers has sold 600+ and not a single good feedback yet.

Hmm...

Frustratingly they're using 'multi variation listing', and while the listing might quote 5 litres for that price, when you go into it you find it's a 30ml sample or similar, and the 5 litre one just happens to be 'out of stock'. It took me a dozen attempts to find a 1 litre listing that actually had it in stock, and that's how I got to the £30 price.

I've not yet found a 5 litre one that was in stock, to be fair I got bored after a bit... the 1 litre price was enough to see what was happening.
karlypants29/03/2020 20:34

One of these sellers has sold 600+ and not a single good feedback …One of these sellers has sold 600+ and not a single good feedback yet.Hmm...

All the funds will be held if new account untill delivered or feedback left. Can’t see how he’s going to profit out of to tbh if he’s at it.
I bought some a few months ago as my missus uses it for her cleaning she makes her own cleaning products - and I think the Haz 500ml bottles were about £5-6 on Amazon - can't find anything similar now and she's run out typical.
There are no genuine 5L bottles left on eBay. Anything you see now until mid April is probably a scam or a rip off. This one must have been one of the last genuine ones to be auctioned.

I googled the manufacturers and distributors and they are OoS as well.
Edited by: "fablanta" 29th Mar
tried to get some of the ebay stuff at teh begining of last month, got ripped off, seller disappaered. take care out there
Peejay1234
9 m ago

tried to get some of the ebay stuff at teh begining of last month, got ripped off, seller disappaered. take care out there

same happened to me, can you claim money back from paypal?
Andyjb2330/03/2020 05:05

Use meths

NO, NO, NO!

Meths contains about 10% Methanol as a denaturant. (To make it toxic and unpleasant to drink).

Methanol is toxic and is absorbed through the skin.

Bioethanol contains even more methanol, so that is out too.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc…46/

Methanol must never be used in such a product because oral, pulmonary and/or skin exposures can result in severe systemic toxicity and even deaths. However, sporadic cases of acute poisoning indicate that alcohol-based hand rub with undeclared methanol may be found in the market from time to time. The unexpected presence of methanol poses a serious threat to public health.
Edited by: "melted" 30th Mar
melted30/03/2020 10:41

NO, NO, NO!Meths contains about 10% Methanol as a denaturant. (To make it …NO, NO, NO!Meths contains about 10% Methanol as a denaturant. (To make it toxic and unpleasant to drink).Methanol is toxic and is absorbed through the skin.Bioethanol contains even more methanol, so that is out too.

Op hasn’t said what he’s using it for. I’m just providing an alternative alcohol based detergent.
Andyjb2330/03/2020 10:44

Op hasn’t said what he’s using it for. I’m just providing an alternative al …Op hasn’t said what he’s using it for. I’m just providing an alternative alcohol based detergent.

Using it for hand santiser
Andyjb2330/03/2020 10:44

Op hasn’t said what he’s using it for. I’m just providing an alternative al …Op hasn’t said what he’s using it for. I’m just providing an alternative alcohol based detergent.

Then edit your original post to say it is toxic and must not be used on the skin as a sanitiser.
melted30/03/2020 10:45

Then edit your original post to say it is toxic and must not be used on …Then edit your original post to say it is toxic and must not be used on the skin as a sanitiser.

I’m not going to edit my post, but armed with the new information I can follow up to it.
melted30/03/2020 10:45

Then edit your original post to say it is toxic and must not be used on …Then edit your original post to say it is toxic and must not be used on the skin as a sanitiser.

Someone has deleted my comment

I’ll add methylated spirits are an alternative option to IPA when looking for an alcoholic based disinfectant.

Additional information provided indicates op’s intended application is for topical use on skin as a home brew hand sanitiser, and therefore methylated spirits are not recommended.

All products should be used in consideration of an appropriate risk assessment, against the hazards and probability of occurrence using applicable MSDS, conducted by a competent person.

Happy?
Andyjb2330/03/2020 11:02

Someone has deleted my commentI’ll add methylated spirits are an a …Someone has deleted my commentI’ll add methylated spirits are an alternative option to IPA when looking for an alcoholic based disinfectant.Additional information provided indicates op’s intended application is for topical use on skin as a home brew hand sanitiser, and therefore methylated spirits are not recommended.All products should be used in consideration of an appropriate risk assessment, against the hazards and probability of occurrence using applicable MSDS, conducted by a competent person.Happy?

I am since your post has been deleted. I think it is a reasonable assumption that people asking for IPA at the moment are likely to use it as hand sanitiser, so if you suggest alternatives in future, please, please make it clear when they are toxic and should not be used on the skin.

Thank you.

I just don't want people poisoning themselves.
melted30/03/2020 11:00

Comment deleted

NO NO NO. This is condoning illegal activity.
The penalty for “moonshine” (illegally manufactured spirits) is a fine of up to £1,000 and confiscation of the spirit-making equipment.

An excise licence is required to manufacture spirits by any means.

I just don’t want people to be mislead into illegal activity.

Please edit you post to say this is illegal.
How has this thread turned into this... All I wanted to know is where to buy isopropyl alcohol at 70 or 99 pc without being ripped off
Edited by: "toge" 30th Mar
Andyjb2330/03/2020 11:19

NO NO NO. This is condoning illegal activity. The penalty for “moonshine” ( …NO NO NO. This is condoning illegal activity. The penalty for “moonshine” (illegally manufactured spirits) is a fine of up to £1,000 and confiscation of the spirit-making equipment.An excise licence is required to manufacture spirits by any means. I just don’t want people to be mislead into illegal activity. Please edit you post to say this is illegal.

I posted a link about registering for a licence, and I'm sure I read an item some years ago by someone who claimed to have obtained a licence to set up his own micro distillery to make ethanol solely for use as a fuel in his vehicles. The link I posted also made clear that you would need to research the legalities.
melted30/03/2020 11:42

I posted a link about registering for a licence, and I'm sure I read an …I posted a link about registering for a licence, and I'm sure I read an item some years ago by someone who claimed to have obtained a licence to set up his own micro distillery to make ethanol solely for use as a fuel in his vehicles. The link I posted also made clear that you would need to research the legalities.

It’s a reasonable assumption that OP is not going to apply for personal licence to manufacture spirits. Additionally the manufacturer of spirits being highly flammable has the potential to be a health and safety hazard (thought you would realise this?)
Andyjb2330/03/2020 11:46

It’s a reasonable assumption that OP is not going to apply for personal l …It’s a reasonable assumption that OP is not going to apply for personal licence to manufacture spirits. Additionally the manufacturer of spirits being highly flammable has the potential to be a health and safety hazard (thought you would realise this?)

Quite right im not gonna apply for it lol. The most I will do is measure 99pc isopropyl with boiled tap water to make hand sanitizer
toge30/03/2020 11:47

Quite right im not gonna apply for it lol. The most I will do is measure …Quite right im not gonna apply for it lol. The most I will do is measure 99pc isopropyl with boiled tap water to make hand sanitizer

I would carry around a bottle of moisturiser to apply afterwards if you do that, as IPA dries out the skin, or maybe find a bottle of moisturiser with ingredients that will dissolve in IPA as a substitute for the water.

Also note liquid sanitisers are said to be less effective than gel since they evaporate quicker and don't get spread as evenly.
melted30/03/2020 11:56

I would carry around a bottle of moisturiser to apply afterwards if you do …I would carry around a bottle of moisturiser to apply afterwards if you do that, as IPA dries out the skin, or maybe find a bottle of moisturiser with ingredients that will dissolve in IPA as a substitute for the water.Also note liquid sanitisers are said to be less effective than gel since they evaporate quicker and don't get spread as evenly.

I thought of that but I can't even get past step 1 yet (obtain isopropyl alcohol without a bank loan)
toge30/03/2020 11:58

I thought of that but I can't even get past step 1 yet (obtain isopropyl …I thought of that but I can't even get past step 1 yet (obtain isopropyl alcohol without a bank loan)

Yeah, that is the problem

I usually buy 5 litre bottles of the stuff when I stock up on solvents, I've got stacks of acetone, plenty of white spirit, cellulose thinners, etc (all safely stored in accordance with the regs, before someone reports me), but down to my last pint of IPA and of course my normal supplier has been completely cleared out, and the local place that sells it @ £16 per litre has closed down for the virus.

It might be worth looking into non alcohol based alternatives, eg chemicals that are sometimes used as antiseptics and are known to kill viruses, to see if they can safely be used as sanitiser.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions