Where to get my CV & Covering letter checked/review

Found 13th Jul 2015
Hi, I have recently updated my CV & Covering Letter & has been looking for a new role for the past month, but so far I am not having so much luck.

Can anyone advise me that from where I can get my CV & Covering letter checked/reviewed for some feedback?

Thank You.
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Do you know anybody who has ever been part of an interviewing process before?

I asked a friend to give my aplication form a once over and found it very useful.

Alternatively I think there are forums online that can help. (The Student Room offered this service back in the days!!)
Original Poster
Well someone I know reviewed my CV but I am not having much look. Was looking at CV checker websites & they want nearly £80-£100 to just review my CV & Covering Letter ?
This site might be useful (link below). It gives tips on what each section of your CV should include. I haven't used it myself so I can't vouch for its usefulness, but instead of paying somebody else to look over it for you perhaps you could take a look at it yourself with the help of the website. They also have a freephone number that you can phone for advice.

nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/adv…spx

http://i61.tinypic.com/35d1d0p.jpg
Edited by: "RossD89" 13th Jul 2015
In my view, in the current employment market CVs are a waste of time at the stage when you are seeking work. If you do use them they can only ever be a skeleton which you should adapt to the vacancy or job advert.
Much of the time you need hard evidence which matches the requirements of the job. You need to stand out from all the rest of the applicants. Sure, if there is a real job out there that asks for your CV then submit it but tailor it to meet the spec. (Don't lie or embellish - you will be found out!) But if some bunch of headhunters are just on a fishing trip you are largely wasting your time.
Good Luck
Original Poster
Thank You.
I once had some place that the jobcentre recommended have a look at my cv. They completely redesigned it to look awful and also threw a couple of spelling mistakes into the mix. I was like yeah thanks, then filed it under 'b' when I got home.
I wouldn't spend too much effort on your cv. it needs to state your experience and qualifications and need to look concise.

Then it is up to employer whether they need someone of your experience. if you are not getting interviews, it won't be your cv but your experience that is letting you down. If you can, get an agent to take you on as they find jobs a lot easier than you can do yourself if you are a professional. won't apply if you are not a professional.
Original Poster
Hi, has anyone used cvnow.co.uk ?
jamilayz

Hi, has anyone used http://www.cvnow.co.uk ?

Not had any experience with them before. You know that it's a paid service though, right? For what you are wanting (A CV with a cover letter) it will cost you £125. It is a business so I can't imagine that they are going to evaluate your CV and give you free, impartial advice. They will try to sell you a service.
Edited by: "RossD89" 14th Jul 2015
Original Poster
RossD89

Not had any experience with them before. You know that it's a paid … Not had any experience with them before. You know that it's a paid service though, right? For what you are wanting (A CV with a cover letter) it will cost you £125. It is a business so I can't imagine that they are going to evaluate your CV and give you free, impartial advice. They will try to sell you a service.

Hi, they have already evaluated my CV for free & it be honest it's not looking good for me unless a professional reviews my CV & covering letter as I am not having much luck even with 5 years experience.

I need to get my CV & Covering letter sorted by a professional.

Edited by: "jamilayz" 14th Jul 2015
Well their reviews on TrustPilot don't look very good.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.cvnow.com

One of them seems genuine, the other three are by 'people' from Nigeria, Switzerland and the Netherlands, which to me doesn't sit right at all. Even the testimonials on their website look fake.
Original Poster
RossD89

Well their reviews on TrustPilot don't look very … Well their reviews on TrustPilot don't look very good.https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.cvnow.comOne of them seems genuine, the other three are by 'people' from Nigeria, Switzerland and the Netherlands, which to me doesn't sit right at all. Even the testimonials on their website look fake.

You are a life saver. Can you recommend any decent CV writing websites ?
jamilayz

You are a life saver. Can you recommend any decent CV writing websites ?

I'm sorry, I can't. I have never used one before. I hope that you manage to find a new job soon though.
Edited by: "RossD89" 14th Jul 2015
Original Poster
RossD89

I'm sorry, I can't. I have never used one before. I hope that you manage … I'm sorry, I can't. I have never used one before. I hope that you manage to find a new job soon though.

Thanks...
CVNow has a review of 6.8 on trustPilot, which does not make them excellent, but they are not terrible either. Some people seem to have had a very good experience with them and I'm guessing these people already had a lot to offer by way of skills and experience
lushrabbi

CVNow has a review of 6.8 on trustPilot, which does not make them … CVNow has a review of 6.8 on trustPilot, which does not make them excellent, but they are not terrible either. Some people seem to have had a very good experience with them and I'm guessing these people already had a lot to offer by way of skills and experience

this topic is from 11 months ago
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants