Where to get quality cheap carpet

Found 13th Apr
We desperately need to change the carpet in our house, I have been looking and I'm shocked at how expensive they are without the underlay or labour.

Any recommendations on where or how to get cheap carpets.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Coming from somebody whos dad works in a carpet warehouse for the trade, the costs add up mainly on labour.
You can see if shops have roll ends which would be cheaper cost wise.

Underlay, they do same job just fancy names.

Ask for “b grade” underlay if they have any.
Thanks @Caroline_1993. I will definitely try those tips.
What do you consider expensive? I used to think the same but some of our carpets are now 20 years old and still in very good condition. i guess the carpets cost would be the equivalent of £20/m2 when I bought them so for 20+ years I don't think that is too bad.

Agree re the underlay - buy it yourself online. I got some recently from ebay - "9mm Cloud 9" and it is like walking on foam. ebay.co.uk/itm…tR3 Costs just under £3/m2 delivered. You can get 11mm thick but I was told by a fitter this makes the carpet very difficult to fit as it is too high for most carpet grippers. Fit the underlay yourself - it is very easy to fit and only pay for a carpet fitter to fit the carpet. Also - do just one room or so at a time so that you can move furniture yourself and not have to pay the fitter to move furniture for you.

Also - if any rooms need new carpet gripper rods buy these yourself - Screwfix - plenty of youtube videos on how to fit - again easy to do.
We went to price up carpets yesterday and I was quite shocked at the prices, they were dearer than I expected! We've got 2 different carpet fitters coming tomorrow to measure and estimate but we've been told it will be around £600 mark for carpet, underlay & fitting for front room, passage, stairs & landing!!! I think that's pricey but I haven't looked for carpets in over 10 years!
Bigfootpete1 h, 56 m ago

https://www.flooringsuperstore.com/carpetsand cheapest for underlays are: …https://www.flooringsuperstore.com/carpetsand cheapest for underlays are: http://www.underlay4u.co.uk/carpet-underlays.html?gclid=CI-B_s_w8b0CFWXnwgodIqgAGg

Thanks, I will have a look.
Van19731 h, 23 m ago

What do you consider expensive? I used to think the same but some of our …What do you consider expensive? I used to think the same but some of our carpets are now 20 years old and still in very good condition. i guess the carpets cost would be the equivalent of £20/m2 when I bought them so for 20+ years I don't think that is too bad.Agree re the underlay - buy it yourself online. I got some recently from ebay - "9mm Cloud 9" and it is like walking on foam. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/cloud-9-cirrus-9mm-Thick-carpet-underlay-15sqm-rolls-Bedroom-lounge-stairs-diner/172685285541?hash=item2834d858a5:g:whoAAOSwFnFWCtR3 Costs just under £3/m2 delivered. You can get 11mm thick but I was told by a fitter this makes the carpet very difficult to fit as it is too high for most carpet grippers. Fit the underlay yourself - it is very easy to fit and only pay for a carpet fitter to fit the carpet. Also - do just one room or so at a time so that you can move furniture yourself and not have to pay the fitter to move furniture for you.Also - if any rooms need new carpet gripper rods buy these yourself - Screwfix - plenty of youtube videos on how to fit - again easy to do.

Thank you for the detailed advice.......much appreciated!
bepurple10 m ago

Thank you for the detailed advice.......much appreciated!

This is a decent video showing how to fit the grippers and underlay -

I personally would not glue the underlay down - I would just leave a can of spray adhesive (Toolstation) for the fitter to use as he will decide the best locations to do this.
pink_elephant1 h, 1 m ago

We went to price up carpets yesterday and I was quite shocked at the …We went to price up carpets yesterday and I was quite shocked at the prices, they were dearer than I expected! We've got 2 different carpet fitters coming tomorrow to measure and estimate but we've been told it will be around £600 mark for carpet, underlay & fitting for front room, passage, stairs & landing!!! I think that's pricey but I haven't looked for carpets in over 10 years!

I was the same ....totally shocked! I have never bought carpet in my life but I wasn't expecting to cos this much because we obvious need to get a good carpet that will last a number of years. We moved into a house with cream carpets and the amount of guests and people staying over there are stain on the carpet in each room hence the need to change it.
bepurple20 h, 34 m ago

I was the same ....totally shocked! I have never bought carpet in my life …I was the same ....totally shocked! I have never bought carpet in my life but I wasn't expecting to cos this much because we obvious need to get a good carpet that will last a number of years. We moved into a house with cream carpets and the amount of guests and people staying over there are stain on the carpet in each room hence the need to change it.

Same as us, moved into a rented property with cream carpets!! 2 kids and cream carpets don't mix well
It depends on were you live, there's a carpetright store near me, where they sell roll ends for really cheap prices, and with the news that they are about to close a lot of stores. you might get a good deal in store.
Edited by: "M-M" 14th Apr
M-M14th Apr

It depends on were you live, there's a carpetright store near me, where …It depends on were you live, there's a carpetright store near me, where they sell roll ends for really cheap prices, and with the news that they are about to close a lot of stores. you might get a good deal in store.

I'm in Birmingham, didnt know that Carpetright was closing down. The other issue is knowing what constitute good carpet and recognising it. We went carpet window shopping on saturday and honestly I was none the wiser.
bepurple4 h, 34 m ago

I'm in Birmingham, didnt know that Carpetright was closing down. The other …I'm in Birmingham, didnt know that Carpetright was closing down. The other issue is knowing what constitute good carpet and recognising it. We went carpet window shopping on saturday and honestly I was none the wiser.

Not all stores are closing down, google it and you'll find the ones that are, also try googling carpetright clearance centres to find out if there's a store near you.

As for recognising a quality carpet it really depends on where the carpet will be fitted, if it's a hall stair landing with a lot of traffic, you would be better with a hessain backed tight twist, bedrooms are different, again depending whether it's for a kids room or an adult.
An independant carpet shop owner said the best carpets are those that are most dense...i think he said it was measured in gages....and 60 gage was best.....sorry if mispelt.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants