Groups

where to go in london with kids cheap or free?

we're off to london on sunday staying in the travelodge covent garden on sunday night.
    we plan to take our boys (age 5 & 7) to the natural history museum either sunday or monday but need to work out what we can do either cheaply or free on the other day.
    any suggestions? thanks

39 Comments

Entry to the Science Museum is free - I used to go there as a Kid and enjoyed it more than the Natural Histroy Museum
    sciencemuseum.org.uk/

Original Poster

cosmicdav3;4328017

Entry to the Science Museum is free - I used to go there as a Kid and … Entry to the Science Museum is free - I used to go there as a Kid and enjoyed it more than the Natural Histroy Museum http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/

thanks my boys want to see the dinosaur bones at the natural history museum though :lol: & i don't know how they would cope with 2 museums in 2 days but will keep it in mind :thumbsup:

If I were you I'd do the two museums in two day. We did with our kids (twice, and roughly same age) and they loved it both times. I'd leave the science musem for the second day though as it has loads of fun interactive exibits (and even some rides, but paid). It has much more of a stay and play approach to learning than the NHM - so the kids will feel that they are two very different experiences.

Whatever you decide to do, hope you all enjoy it! And don't forget to bring a packed lunch for the NHM if you want to save money - they have a place to eat in the basement and allow you to bring your own (well, it's one of the two - I forget which!)

I Love the science museum!

It might be worth a look at this website - I haven't checked to see whats on, as we're going nowhwere! but it's worth you looking
    londonfamilies.co.uk/goi…htm

Underrated but great museum. They do things like recreate Amazonian villages or Papua New Guinea long houses - sometimes with the natives building them!
    [SIZE=4]Museum of Mankind[/SIZE]
    6 Burlington Gardens, London, W1S 3EX
    Tel: +44 (0)20 7323 8043

http://www.virtual-london.com/imgsvr/museum-mankind-london.jpgBetween 1970 and 1997 the Department was well known for its lively exhibitions and related activities which took place at the Museum of Mankind off Piccadilly. We are now preparing to return to Bloomsbury where we will be able to display our collections and make them available to the public in new and exciting ways.
    The Museum of Mankind (the ethnography department of the British Museum) presents a series of changing exhibitions illustrating the variety of non-Western societies and cultures.
    Its collections came from the indigenous peoples of Africa, Australia, the Pacific Islands, North and South America, and parts of Asia and Europe, and include ancient as well as recent and contemporary cultures.
    Recent exhibition themes have included pottery from Africa and the culture of rice terrace farmers from the Philippines.
    Disabled Access
    Please ring for advice as there are many unavoidable steps. With advance notice special parking and access can be arranged.
    Opening Times
    Monday - Saturday 10:00 - 17:00
    Sunday 14:30 - 18:00

take them to the london dungeons, it will scare the hell out of them

the london dungeons are awful, I wouldn't reccomend them to anyone, absolute cack

Original Poster

Liddle ol' me;4328080

If I were you I'd do the two museums in two day. We did with our kids … If I were you I'd do the two museums in two day. We did with our kids (twice, and roughly same age) and they loved it both times. I'd leave the science musem for the second day though as it has loads of fun interactive exibits (and even some rides, but paid). It has much more of a stay and play approach to learning than the NHM - so the kids will feel that they are two very different experiences. Whatever you decide to do, hope you all enjoy it! And don't forget to bring a packed lunch for the NHM if you want to save money - they have a place to eat in the basement and allow you to bring your own (well, it's one of the two - I forget which!)

thanks will have to take pack lunches then :thumbsup: think that taking them to both museums over the 2 days may be a good idea after all :-D

Original Poster

wickedteen;4328139

take them to the london dungeons, it will scare the hell out of them

Kitten13;4328150

the london dungeons are awful, I wouldn't reccomend them to anyone, … the london dungeons are awful, I wouldn't reccomend them to anyone, absolute cack

think i'll give that a miss :whistling: as the idea is for the kids to enjoy themselves

I would deffinetly recomend the museums though, i really should go back to london and explore the museums again

Banned

if your staying in covent garden you can watch the street entertainers which is alwasy fun

there are lots of two for one deals as well with the rail tickets:
    daysoutguide.co.uk/

some good ideas here as well :
    dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/sea…don

and a trip to hamleys is always good fun or maybe an open top bus ride round london to see the sights

have a lovely trip x

you could try this kids museum vam.ac.uk/moc/ nearest tube station is Bethnal Green (museum is a few yards from there)
    Its free entry for the whole family. They have lots of interactive stuff on the top floor.

Banned

a few more free things :
    daysoutguide.co.uk/fre…spx

there is a massive list here of free things to do

also have a look at applause store there may be some free tv shows screening x

Original Poster

Lisa-Marie A;4328385

if your staying in covent garden you can watch the street entertainers … if your staying in covent garden you can watch the street entertainers which is alwasy funthere are lots of two for one deals as well with the rail tickets:http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/some good ideas here as well :]http://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/search.php?age10plus=false&age6to9=false&age3to5=true&toddler=false&outdoors=true&indoors=true&county=Greater%20Londonand a trip to hamleys is always good fun or maybe an open top bus ride round london to see the sights have a lovely trip x

yeah good idea about watching the street entertainers :thumbsup: we're gonna go for dinner at las tasca in covent garden on sunday night using my tesco vouchers so could do that first :lol:
    went to hamleys when we went to see santa at harrods last year & was surprised that hamleys was dearer than harrods for toys :shock:

Weather allowing you could try a city farm. Maybe kids are a bit old now but there may be lots of young animals being born about now which could make it interesting
    london-footprints.co.uk/vis…htm
    Maybe tag it onto something else. Use the transport system and if you plan the journey right you can see some of the sights along the way. Packed lunches will keep costs down

Don't know how this compares to others but its close to the British Museum
    coramsfields.org/vis…php

take them on the river boat thingy (city cruises).... i booked it with clubcard vouchers so it didnt cost me a penny..if u do pay...one 'stop' from like tower bridge to houses of parliment is less than 4 quid an adult...I THINK....and kids love it!

If your going to La Tasca don't forget to sign up to their club and get a discount voucher:

latasca.co.uk/fun…tml

Original Poster

cosmicdav3;4328697

If your going to La Tasca don't forget to sign up to their club and get a … If your going to La Tasca don't forget to sign up to their club and get a discount voucher:http://www.latasca.co.uk/fun-time/join-our-club.html

i already have & the voucher finishes on friday so no good :-( also i don't think you can use alongside tesco deal vouchers?

cosmicdav3;4328017

Entry to the Science Museum is free - I used to go there as a Kid and … Entry to the Science Museum is free - I used to go there as a Kid and enjoyed it more than the Natural Histroy Museum http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/

+1

once you've checked out all the rockets etc, the basement is a childrens play area with science based toys.

a word of warning. the cafe in the museum is really expensive. go somewhere else after x

also, theres
    the trocadero
    the london dungeon
    the eye
    river boat cruises
    china town
    embankment
    planetarium
    madame tussauds wax works

not all are free though check before you go!

HTH!

Banned

Go to the Natural History Museum on the Sunday, then come and meet me on south bank on Monday. I'm entertaining!!!:p

Original Poster

guv;4328798

Go to the Natural History Museum on the Sunday, then come and meet me on … Go to the Natural History Museum on the Sunday, then come and meet me on south bank on Monday. I'm entertaining!!!:p

:shock: what would you do to entertain us? :lol:

guv;4328798

Go to the Natural History Museum on the Sunday, then come and meet me on … Go to the Natural History Museum on the Sunday, then come and meet me on south bank on Monday. I'm entertaining!!!:p

cheerleader;4328823

:shock: what would you do to entertain us? :lol:

My friend and I were trying to decide what to do with the children on Monday. Looks like I've found our answer. See you there cheerleader!! Can't wait to see what guv has planned. :thumbsup:

cheerleader;4328465

yeah good idea about watching the street entertainers :thumbsup: we're … yeah good idea about watching the street entertainers :thumbsup: we're gonna go for dinner at las tasca in covent garden on sunday night using my tesco vouchers so could do that first :lol:went to hamleys when we went to see santa at harrods last year & was surprised that hamleys was dearer than harrods for toys :shock:

That is what we did too - the whole lot - lol. The only thing we paid for was transport

guv;4328798

are you going to strip and paint yourself in chocolate?? *hoping* lol

Original Poster

shibi din;4328835

My friend and I were trying to decide what to do with the children on … My friend and I were trying to decide what to do with the children on Monday. Looks like I've found our answer. See you there cheerleader!! Can't wait to see what guv has planned. :thumbsup:

:lol: a hukd outing to be entertained by guv!! what a great idea - may have to start another thread about that :whistling::w00t:

Original Poster

Butterflies;4328837

That is what we did too - the whole lot - lol. The only thing we paid for … That is what we did too - the whole lot - lol. The only thing we paid for was transport

still wating for la tasca to get back to me to find out if we can use the tesco deal vouchers for tapas for a tenner, so applied for my tesco vouchers already as will still work out good even without the tapas deal :thumbsup:

OOh let us know if it is allowed - I love La Tasca.

Definately works out a fab deal with the tesco vouchers - and I love the atmosphere too.

Have a lovely time on SUnday - you'll have to let us know what you all did.

There's also the Museum of CHildhood in Bethnal green - not quite central london though -
    vam.ac.uk/moc…tml

They also have Childrens activities daily - so if its a wet day vam.ac.uk/moc…tml

Though I still love the science museum best.

Also we loved the London Aquarium - but of course that costs money!

Banned

cheerleader;4328823

what would you do to entertain us? :lol:

shibi din;4328835

My friend and I were trying to decide what to do with the children on … My friend and I were trying to decide what to do with the children on Monday. Looks like I've found our answer. See you there cheerleader!! Can't wait to see what guv has planned. :thumbsup:

If I told ya, it would spoil the surprise! :w00t::p:-D

cheerleader;4328465

yeah good idea about watching the street entertainers :thumbsup: we're … yeah good idea about watching the street entertainers :thumbsup: we're gonna go for dinner at las tasca in covent garden on sunday night using my tesco vouchers so could do that first :lol:went to hamleys when we went to see santa at harrods last year & was surprised that hamleys was dearer than harrods for toys :shock:

we went to london last weekend. Get to "Embankment" on the tube, cross the bridge to South Bank / Millenium Wheel, and watch the street entertainers... well worth dropping a couple quid in their bucket..... keeps the kids busy for a little while.

the wheel and the like arent worth it! London Zoo are 2for1 with vouchers.. Hamleys is good and your kids will spend ages in there. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Butterflies;4328988

OOh let us know if it is allowed - I love La Tasca.Definately works out a … OOh let us know if it is allowed - I love La Tasca.Definately works out a fab deal with the tesco vouchers - and I love the atmosphere too.Have a lovely time on SUnday - you'll have to let us know what you all did.There's also the Museum of CHildhood in Bethnal green - not quite central london though -http://www.vam.ac.uk/moc/index.htmlThey also have Childrens activities daily - so if its a wet day http://www.vam.ac.uk/moc/whats_on/daily_activities/index.htmlThough I still love the science museum best.Also we loved the London Aquarium - but of course that costs money!

La Tasca finally got back to me that you can't use the tesco deal vouchers for tapas for a tenner :-(
    oh well, got £50 to spend there once my vouchers arrive & only cost me £12.50 in tesco vouchers :-D

Original Poster

guv;4331365

If I told ya, it would spoil the surprise! :w00t::p:-D

:shock: now remember i'll have my hubby who's 6ft5 & my 2 kids with me :whistling:

this is really freaky.

we are doing our travelodge nine pound room, in london, today aswell.

our kids are 5 and 7 too.

we are going to the british museum to see the egyptians (school topic), nationally gallery (both done a turner topic), the Dungeons (with tesco vouchers). camden town is good, my kids love seeing the punks and arty things for sale.

dinosaurs are good. and the changing of the guards at buckingham palace is good.

we are also going to twickenham and chessington, again with tesco vouchers.

blackpeppa;4392406

this is really freaky.we are doing our travelodge nine pound room, in … this is really freaky.we are doing our travelodge nine pound room, in london, today aswell.our kids are 5 and 7 too.we are going to the british museum to see the egyptians (school topic), nationally gallery (both done a turner topic), the Dungeons (with tesco vouchers). camden town is good, my kids love seeing the punks and arty things for sale.dinosaurs are good. and the changing of the guards at buckingham palace is good.we are also going to twickenham and chessington, again with tesco vouchers.

If you took any photographs, hope you did not include any policemen. Just became law today that you are not allowed to photograph policemen. Surprised when I heard it on the news. Would have thought that was the way of a facist state. Sorry to rant

Banned

cheerleader;4339089

:shock: now remember i'll have my hubby who's 6ft5 & my 2 kids with me … :shock: now remember i'll have my hubby who's 6ft5 & my 2 kids with me :whistling:

That just spoilt the surprise!

WoolyM;4401114

If you took any photographs, hope you did not include any policemen. Just … If you took any photographs, hope you did not include any policemen. Just became law today that you are not allowed to photograph policemen. Surprised when I heard it on the news. Would have thought that was the way of a facist state. Sorry to rant

More to the point - why would you want to photograph a policeman? (There's gonna be a lot of press photographers nicked now then!)

guv;4401173

That just spoilt the surprise!More to the point - why would you want to … That just spoilt the surprise!More to the point - why would you want to photograph a policeman? (There's gonna be a lot of press photographers nicked now then!)

Be pretty difficult celebrating events like New Years now wouldn't it. Especially if you were 'stupid' enough to get a policeman in the frame. Come to think of it I may have such a thing. Am I about to be told to destroy it. This is a worrying and stupid law in my opinion. I am NOT anti police. I have had members of my family in the police in the past.

Banned

WoolyM;4401202

Be pretty difficult celebrating events like New Years now wouldn't it. … Be pretty difficult celebrating events like New Years now wouldn't it. Especially if you were 'stupid' enough to get a policeman in the frame. Come to think of it I may have such a thing. Am I about to be told to destroy it. This is a worrying and stupid law in my opinion. I am NOT anti police. I have had members of my family in the police in the past.

Any idea why its the case? Maybe they don't want any video evidence (which presumably becomes inadmissible as evidence) of Police brutality?

guv;4401258

Any idea why its the case? Maybe they don't want any video evidence … Any idea why its the case? Maybe they don't want any video evidence (which presumably becomes inadmissible as evidence) of Police brutality?

The first I heard of it was on the news tonight. Will look about to see whats led up to it. Thing is taken in isolation maybe its all ok, buts theres been a lot of individual laws passed recently that do appear to be taking away peoples rights. This is what I find more worrying. Anyway off thread topic so maybe should be discusssed elsewhere. Not having a pop at you. I know I raised it.

Banned

WoolyM;4401310

The first I heard of it was on the news tonight. Will look about to see … The first I heard of it was on the news tonight. Will look about to see whats led up to it. Thing is taken in isolation maybe its all ok, buts theres been a lot of individual laws passed recently that do appear to be taking away peoples rights. This is what I find more worrying. Anyway off thread topic so maybe should be discusssed elsewhere. Not having a pop at you. I know I raised it.

Just as well..... I'd have battered ya! :w00t:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. random company selling fifa 18 for £29.9522
      2. Wall mounting the OLED55B7V34
      3. Recommend accurate weighing scales11
      4. VM Super Hub 3 printer issues36

See more discussions