Where to go with the next big money making idea ..

OK ... so say I have an idea for a website which could make me squillions. Or maybe 2 ideas. Well researched and good ideas in theory.

Where would one go to find a more technical partner to go the business on the programming side of things (ie, make the thing)? Key requirement is said partner should not be able to rip one (ie, me) off by stealing genious ideas. :-)

30 Comments

Banned

is it a product that you just need to sell....or does the customer need to upload bispoke requirements.

EDIT

Oh i see now, it's the functionality of the site that you think you can make the money out of
Edited by: "slamdunkin" 12th Oct 2010

Banned

To safeguard the web developer from ripping you off, you get them to sign a confidentiality agreement

Original Poster

Its purely a web-based business. No physical product. The "main" idea is actually an incredibly obvious one and I'm amazed it doesn't exist (there is something similar but it doesn't work). So ... a confidentiality agreement is the way to go. Does that only hold ground with a UK developer?

Banned

no they work on an international bases....but the cost of taking someone to court in a foreign country and fighting a case under the laws of 2 jurisdictions would be immense.

Tell us what it is. This is a secure forum.

Original Poster

Ha, so no getting some Far Eastern on the cheap then :-p

I have an idea of where to get someone I think ... gotta be better than digging out my PHP textbooks and re-starting the learning all over again.

Banned

Go and speak to your local business link and they will help you asses what is really needed to bring such an idea to market.

Remember............if it is a good idea and works then someone else with more money will come along and blow you out of the water so don't go ordering a Ferrari yet. lol

Original Poster

mr.potato_head

Tell us what it is. This is a secure forum.

A shopping deals forums. And the best thing is that I can make money by sneaking in affiliate links. And a For Sale section - but the unique thing is that I'll charge an insertion fee. Yes, I'm going to merge HUKD and eBay ... :-p

Banned

Some universities undertake certain projects below the normal market rate.

Original Poster

Syzable

Remember............if it is a good idea and works then someone else with … Remember............if it is a good idea and works then someone else with more money will come along and blow you out of the water so don't go ordering a Ferrari yet. lol

Really? Damn :-)

In all seriousness, it is a good & simple idea but I probably have neither the contacts nor the persistence it would need to do well.

If only there was a website where I could sell my idea ... (hang on, Idea #3!)

Banned

If the idea is that good....then you could seek venture capital from a VC.

Banned

Have you written a bussines plan yet, because no one will even look at it untill you have.

http://schoolgirlmilkycrisis.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/dragons_den.jpg

get 3 or 4 cheap PHP'ers dotted around the world and only give them part of the puzzle each then none of them individually can run with your idea.

Original Poster

No where near that stage yet mate ... it's all in my head at the moment.

Original Poster

MinstrelMan

get 3 or 4 cheap PHP'ers dotted around the world and only give them part … get 3 or 4 cheap PHP'ers dotted around the world and only give them part of the puzzle each then none of them individually can run with your idea.

I like this.

Banned

MinstrelMan

get 3 or 4 cheap PHP'ers dotted around the world and only give them part … get 3 or 4 cheap PHP'ers dotted around the world and only give them part of the puzzle each then none of them individually can run with your idea.

nice in princaple....but the reality wouuld be a site that didn't function very well.

Banned

Have you considered the marketing costs....?

They will probably be more in the first 6 months, than what you will pay to have such a site built
Edited by: "slamdunkin" 12th Oct 2010

slamdunkin

nice in princaple....but the reality wouuld be a site that didn't … nice in princaple....but the reality wouuld be a site that didn't function very well.

depends how you break it down, I'd personally have them lower level programmers doing the scripts that dont need to talk to each other (afterall everyone scripts differently) but then have a contractually obligated UK professional to bring it all together.

Original Poster

slamdunkin

Have you considered the marketing costs....?

Yes. On the plus side, the market is potentially quite big which offers lots of options for marketing. On the down side - it may well be too big to fund privately.

So now I need a UK based PHP developer, willing to stump up a load of their own dosh for a stake :-)

Banned

You could PM me the idea....I'm not into stealing good ideas, as I know the differance between having an idea and making it a reality.

you've been PM'd TSSFC

MinstrelMan

you've been PM'd TSSFC

If he doesn't reply then try TUSSFC as well.

eat ****

MinstrelMan

eat ****

These ones?

http://www.chocablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/milky-way-magic-stars.jpg

MinstrelMan

lol

Banned

What you need to remember is that at some point you will have to start telling all sorts of people the idea...Most of them won't have the money to facilitate it or they will be professionals who are to busy running their own business to take on another commitment....and most importantly of all...it takes a real passion and belief in your own idea to be an innovator and overcome all the hurdles that will stand in the way.

Idea in the head ..... is the simplest step in any business I think. I doubt if any developer will run away with your idea OP, ideas are everywhere.

What is this untapped genius material then?

Is it like the one out of the movie "knocked up" ?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7191353
    2. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2974
    3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1629
    4. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow55

See more discussions