Groups

Where to start with a car

I genuinely do not know where to start when I look for a car. My previous car was a lease as I had no deposit saved and needed a car ASAP. I wouldn't lease again as simply the repairs to the scratches (someone keyed the length of my car, set me back £600) and the refurbishment of my alloys means I just don't think it was worthwhile in the end, especially considering the amount of miles I cover (15k per annum).

My questions really are what cars would you recommend to somebody who cares less about what he is driving and more about how much it costs, simply want my commute each day to be as cheap and reliable as possible, somebody who knows nothing of mechanics so isn't likely to do work himself?

Also can I pay for a car on a credit card that has 30 months interest fee if I believe I can pay it off in that time period (I reckon I can afford to pay back about £250 a month). Should I buy new, nearly new, banger or what? All opinions will be more educated than mine so will be appreciated.

21 Comments

buy a 250 banger and if it lasts more than 1 month you're quids in.

I would never buy new unless you have money to waste. As soon as its off the four court your already out of pocket and if your lease was getting scratched etc then why would you want a new car .
    For reliability I would go with Toyota, as you do quite a few miles look at Hybrids.Electric charging points are also still free to use at the moment.

The key scratch was unfortunate but the kerbed alloys must be down to your driving? I just completed a one year lease and would definitely do it again. I covered 9,000 miles and at the final review had no issues with the condition of the vehicle outside the expected wear and tear (bonnet chips etc.).

You sound like me car wise... What's your budget and how many miles do you do per year?

buy a car that an elderly person has owned - so this will have been owned for a long time (perhaps from new) and will have done fairly low mileage but will possibly have many small dents through bad driving - but it will be old and unwanted by young drivers and therefore cheap and normally well serviced!
    you can get an amazingly reliable car this way for less than £1000
    but you will have totake a chance with it , or go to a dealer and get a new secondhand car that is AA RAC checked

Banned

Pre reg fiesta focus

Original Poster

ipswich78

The key scratch was unfortunate but the kerbed alloys must be down to … The key scratch was unfortunate but the kerbed alloys must be down to your driving? I just completed a one year lease and would definitely do it again. I covered 9,000 miles and at the final review had no issues with the condition of the vehicle outside the expected wear and tear (bonnet chips etc.).You sound like me car wise... What's your budget and how many miles do you do per year?

Oh yeah the kerbing was totally down to me, it was my first car and the kerbs outside my house are particularly high, did it to every wheel within first 6 months, not done it since in the remianing 30!

Perhaps a KIA with their 7 Year Warranty would benefit you? This is transferrable so you could buy used if new doesn't work out.

£250*30 = £7500 = should get you 3/4 year old reliable run about. Go for Toyota/Kia/Hyundai and you will still have balance of manufacturer guarantee

Original Poster

kvn618

£250*30 = £7500 = should get you 3/4 year old reliable run about. Go for T … £250*30 = £7500 = should get you 3/4 year old reliable run about. Go for Toyota/Kia/Hyundai and you will still have balance of manufacturer guarantee

One thing I'm hoping to do is convince my dad to sell me his 11 plate Honda CRZ it is a hybrid and has 25,000 miles on the clock, he's too old for it now and struggles to get in and out but loves it. Would be ideal for me, as he's the only previous owner and he drives like the pensioner he is, has a few dings too.

Original Poster

TrueSID

Perhaps a KIA with their 7 Year Warranty would benefit you? This is … Perhaps a KIA with their 7 Year Warranty would benefit you? This is transferrable so you could buy used if new doesn't work out.

Thanks, noticed their approved used car service has won all sorts of awards, there doesn't seem to be a great deal around me though.

Original Poster

kvn618

£250*30 = £7500 = should get you 3/4 year old reliable run about. Go for T … £250*30 = £7500 = should get you 3/4 year old reliable run about. Go for Toyota/Kia/Hyundai and you will still have balance of manufacturer guarantee

Can I pay for a used car at a garage in full with a credit card and does this give you leverage in negotiations?

docefc

Can I pay for a used car at a garage in full with a credit card and does … Can I pay for a used car at a garage in full with a credit card and does this give you leverage in negotiations?

You can pay for a car on a credit card, however you'll generally have the fees pushed on to you - possibly about 2.5%. In regards to negotiation, probably not too much. Dealers make a chunk of their profit from extended warranties, maintenance contracts, gap insurance, etc. So unless you are going for some of those the negotiations will be limited.

docefc

Can I pay for a used car at a garage in full with a credit card and does … Can I pay for a used car at a garage in full with a credit card and does this give you leverage in negotiations?

You can pay by CC and you can negotiate to remove fees as part of the deal. It probably wont give you any more leverage as Car dealers get high commission on referrals to Banks. That's how Arnold Clark makes most of their money

(Waits for the backlash...) if your daily mileage is 60 miles or under, go for a used Nissan Leaf...

it's electric, so no fuel costs... well your electric bill will be more, but it'll cost you 20-30% what you'd pay for petrol/diesel.

£0 road tax, because its zero emissions.

servicing costs are £100-£150 per year, which includes breakdown cover.

free home charge point to recharge.

Nissan have a deposit contribution which more than covers any interest on their finance, so its equivalent to 0% (they do a 0% deal as well I think)

a top spec Tekna is £10-11k.

plus you can sleep easy at night knowing your helpong all the fluffy bunnies out there...

cant go far wrong with Kia or Skoda. Ive had both over last few years without fault. generally on both makes your money goes further when looking at spec like a/c and leccy windows etc. And dare I mention Dacia who are winning all sorts of awards at the moment and you can get brand new ones within your price range.

My story.
    I need something to do 25k a year 90% of which is motorway (unfounded through any company scheme so it has to be funded all through salary).
    Last year I bought a 2010 Kia ceed 1.6 diesel for £5k with a loan set over two years at 2.9%, so costs about £200 month. This car has cruise control and does 60mpg on the motorway sat at 80mph.
    Don't get me wrong I look at lease deals all the time and I'd love a piece of German metal but at the end of the day this makes perfect sense to me.
    After two years I'll have spent money on two services and maybe up to x6 tyres. If the DPF goes I'll just throw he car on eBay and walk away with £1k back at minimum.

Original Poster

Dipbill

(Waits for the backlash...) if your daily mileage is 60 miles or under, … (Waits for the backlash...) if your daily mileage is 60 miles or under, go for a used Nissan Leaf...it's electric, so no fuel costs... well your electric bill will be more, but it'll cost you 20-30% what you'd pay for petrol/diesel.£0 road tax, because its zero emissions.servicing costs are £100-£150 per year, which includes breakdown cover.free home charge point to recharge.Nissan have a deposit contribution which more than covers any interest on their finance, so its equivalent to 0% (they do a 0% deal as well I think)a top spec Tekna is £10-11k.plus you can sleep easy at night knowing your helpong all the fluffy bunnies out there...

I'd love to but it is about a 60 mile roundtrip every day, I also go camping a lot so tend to drive further afield for my leisure time.

Original Poster

dannythemusicman

My story. I need something to do 25k a year 90% of which is motorway … My story. I need something to do 25k a year 90% of which is motorway (unfounded through any company scheme so it has to be funded all through salary). Last year I bought a 2010 Kia ceed 1.6 diesel for £5k with a loan set over two years at 2.9%, so costs about £200 month. This car has cruise control and does 60mpg on the motorway sat at 80mph. Don't get me wrong I look at lease deals all the time and I'd love a piece of German metal but at the end of the day this makes perfect sense to me. After two years I'll have spent money on two services and maybe up to x6 tyres. If the DPF goes I'll just throw he car on eBay and walk away with £1k back at minimum.

Sounds a lot like me, thinking about it cruise control is actually an essential I use it all the time.

My requirements were in order of priority, reliability, cruise control, a sixth gear for motorway cruising and then diesel - depending on budget (whether monthly or overall) you might find that limits things right down.
    Saying all that, my folks have a BMW 320d for over ten years and that thing is sat on 200k and has thrown up hardly any problems (a couple of turbos and bearing) but they spend a lot on maintaining it.
    Based on my experience looking before buying, the two cars I'd consider are Kia Ceed and the Mazda 3 1.6 petrol (but one of the named models that come with heated seats )

Original Poster

Is this stuff about Diesel cars' road tax going up and certain areas (I'm in Liverpool) banning them?

I wouldn't be buying a car taking into account that kind of stuff. Where that is happening it does seem to be an age dependent thing, i.e. Cars over ten years old etc
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk22
      2. Win a Karcher Xpert Pressure Washer88
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains98
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon33

See more discussions