Where to store security details on ipad

Found 3rd Nov 2017
Where is the best place to save security details on my ipad so I can copy and paste into a website login when necessary?

I can see there is the notes app. Is this the best place?

On my laptop, I save the stuff into a word document which is password protected. I know this is not the best thing to do but it is better than writing down the stuff on a piece of paper!
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
16 Comments
Like your laptop you have used Word. On the iPad you can use Notes. Make sure that your iCloud regularly backs up your Notes in case if something happens to the iPad you haven’t then lost the Notes you have made.
Go to iCloud on your iPad and turn on Keychain. Your iPad will store your passwords and give you the option to Autofill when you want to log in to a website or app.
Original Poster
mboard4214 m ago

Go to iCloud on your iPad and turn on Keychain. Your iPad will store your …Go to iCloud on your iPad and turn on Keychain. Your iPad will store your passwords and give you the option to Autofill when you want to log in to a website or app.

I dont like the idea of anyone having access to my security details. I want to store the data on my ipad in some sort of password protected document
Original Poster
pricesavvy18 m ago

Like your laptop you have used Word. On the iPad you can use Notes. Make …Like your laptop you have used Word. On the iPad you can use Notes. Make sure that your iCloud regularly backs up your Notes in case if something happens to the iPad you haven’t then lost the Notes you have made.

I assume notes doesnt have password lock? I lock the ipad today but would be great if there is another layer of lock for the document
mutley124 m ago

I assume notes doesnt have password lock? I lock the ipad today but would …I assume notes doesnt have password lock? I lock the ipad today but would be great if there is another layer of lock for the document

I have replied back but it does not seem to have loaded. You can lock the Notes by going to this link. Scroll down to Create a Password that way your Notes are secure.
mutley143 m ago

I assume notes doesnt have password lock? I lock the ipad today but would …I assume notes doesnt have password lock? I lock the ipad today but would be great if there is another layer of lock for the document

Notes does have a password lock it’s in the settings for iPhone under notes
I put mine in the notes on my iPhone with a password
Have a look at the 1Password app, I’ve been using it for years and it’s a good platform
Original Poster
pricesavvy7 h, 12 m ago

I have replied back but it does not seem to have loaded. You can lock the …I have replied back but it does not seem to have loaded. You can lock the Notes by going to this link. Scroll down to Create a Password that way your Notes are secure.

cheers. worked perfect
There are dedicated password managers that are what you're looking for, many of the more popular ones have Windows and iOS versions that can share the same passwords file.

Lastpass, 1password, Keepass, Dashlane and Roboform are probably the most popular. I'd suggest trying them out and see which you prefer.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves4 m ago

There are dedicated password managers that are what you're looking for, …There are dedicated password managers that are what you're looking for, many of the more popular ones have Windows and iOS versions that can share the same passwords file.Lastpass, 1password, Keepass, Dashlane and Roboform are probably the most popular. I'd suggest trying them out and see which you prefer.

problem here is that other parties become involved with my security details. if i store the stuff in a locked document on my ipad, no one will know what it is about. login details also include things like username, card number, PIN, memorable information, all sorts of stuff.

i have 2 pages on word full of these things so i want to transfer them to my ipad so i can also use the ipad for logins.
mutley11 h, 17 m ago

problem here is that other parties become involved with my security …problem here is that other parties become involved with my security details. if i store the stuff in a locked document on my ipad, no one will know what it is about. login details also include things like username, card number, PIN, memorable information, all sorts of stuff.i have 2 pages on word full of these things so i want to transfer them to my ipad so i can also use the ipad for logins.

Not all of them, some of them like keepass are entirely offline so the only involvement is that someone developed the software. The same as for Microsoft Word or Apple Notes. Although I'd be very surprised if any of the online ones had any access to your data.

Other information isn't a problem, password managers will typically allow you to keep notes alongside password entries. They can be exactly the same thing as a locked document, just better organised and with a couple of helpful features like a built in password generator.

I use Keepass2 myself, although I can't recommend any iOS app for it from personal experience.
mutley14 h, 37 m ago

problem here is that other parties become involved with my security …problem here is that other parties become involved with my security details. if i store the stuff in a locked document on my ipad, no one will know what it is about. login details also include things like username, card number, PIN, memorable information, all sorts of stuff.i have 2 pages on word full of these things so i want to transfer them to my ipad so i can also use the ipad for logins.

EndlessWaves3 h, 20 m ago

Not all of them, some of them like keepass are entirely offline so the …Not all of them, some of them like keepass are entirely offline so the only involvement is that someone developed the software. The same as for Microsoft Word or Apple Notes. Although I'd be very surprised if any of the online ones had any access to your data.Other information isn't a problem, password managers will typically allow you to keep notes alongside password entries. They can be exactly the same thing as a locked document, just better organised and with a couple of helpful features like a built in password generator.I use Keepass2 myself, although I can't recommend any iOS app for it from personal experience.

Last Pass, my recommendation for a password manager, works by using an online 'vault', but this doesn't mean that they have access to your passwords. You need to make use of your 'master password' to unlock the information in your 'vault'; without this, no-one, not even the software developers/providers, can access your details, as they're held in encrypted form.

If you're concerned about security, this is typically a huge amount more secure than a locally-stored document.

lastpass.com/how…rks
I use Keychain between the Mac and iPhone... Works well and more convenient than copying and pasting from a note or document.
+1 for lastpass. It's impossible for anyone to get your info without your master password

Word password protection can be hacked in seconds
Edited by: "chocci" 4th Nov 2017
32365917-nqSrR.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions