Where to update mobile number?

Found 18th Mar
I think this thread would be great, if one doesn't exist already. I recently got a new telephone number and I can't think of all the important companies/services that need my number

I have updated:
Apple
Amazon
Outlook
Virgin Mobile
Virgin Media
Banking
NHS
Chemist
PayPal
eBay
University

Any know any other places I may have missed out?

Can't think of any, don't want any issue in the future.
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
Friends and family?

Spotify
Credit card companies
Android/Google
British Gas/other energy utilities
Car breakdown AA/Rac etc.
deleted1597344
Sorry to say, this thread seems a little pointless to me.
How do we know which companies have your contact details? The list really could be endless.
Why do people change there number anyway? It's a real problem for doctors, dentist and alike as they can't confirm appointments. People don't charge their landline number all the time. I've had the same number for 20+ years and changed networks 3 times. Just wondered...
Edited by: "wayners" 18th Mar
On your old number if its still possible, put your voicemail on and record a greeting advising people of your new number.
wayners11 m ago

Why do people change there number anyway? It's a real problem for doctors, …Why do people change there number anyway? It's a real problem for doctors, dentist and alike as they can't confirm appointments. People don't charge their landline number all the time. I've had the same number for 20+ years and changed networks 3 times. Just wondered...

Because maybe people want to change their numbers thats up to to them.
Original Poster
wayners1 h, 14 m ago

Why do people change there number anyway? It's a real problem for doctors, …Why do people change there number anyway? It's a real problem for doctors, dentist and alike as they can't confirm appointments. People don't charge their landline number all the time. I've had the same number for 20+ years and changed networks 3 times. Just wondered...

Ex doesn’t leave me alone
'Apple
Amazon
Outlook
Virgin Mobile
Virgin Media
Banking
NHS
Chemist
PayPal
eBay
University
'

Being honest OP, when did any of these contact you via your mobile?

With the exception of Virgin Media, I've never, ever rec'd a call from any of the companies from your list, always contact is firstly via email, secondly via post.
wayners1 h, 57 m ago

when there are deals with the existing mobile provider so it is becomes a nuisance to port your existing number out and port back, i just use the new number instead.

it also helps as it gets rid of people i do not want to talk to as they won't have my new number
wayners3 h, 27 m ago

Endless spam. Hence, I never give my mobile to anyone unless essential. Companies that force you to enter a mobile when it isn't necessary get the mobile number of some bloke I can't stand
mutley11 h, 34 m ago

when there are deals with the existing mobile provider so it is becomes a …when there are deals with the existing mobile provider so it is becomes a nuisance to port your existing number out and port back, i just use the new number instead.it also helps as it gets rid of people i do not want to talk to as they won't have my new number

Having worked in a dentist doing maintenance I was surprised at the number of dead lines because of number changes and the amount of people that hung up on the receptionist before she had chance to finish sentence, because they thought it was sales. There it is I guess... I just block calls I don't want on mobile. I did read about a service that you get a text message on screen stating who's calling and the reason for the call. Sounds great to me. Think we've all had enough on nuisance. I have! They should also make it easier for people to port number as it can be a pain as you say.
chocci12 m ago

Endless spam. Hence, I never give my mobile to anyone unless essential. …Endless spam. Hence, I never give my mobile to anyone unless essential. Companies that force you to enter a mobile when it isn't necessary get the mobile number of some bloke I can't stand

I've got a freedom pop sim in a second mobile. I don't know the number. I have never given it out or answered a call. Yet Im getting about 2 calls a week from sales so I think calls are randomly generated these days from outside Europe. Gmail and Hotmail deal with spam very well. Don't see much of that either..
wayners34 m ago

Having worked in a dentist doing maintenance I was surprised at the number …Having worked in a dentist doing maintenance I was surprised at the number of dead lines because of number changes and the amount of people that hung up on the receptionist before she had chance to finish sentence, because they thought it was sales. There it is I guess... I just block calls I don't want on mobile. I did read about a service that you get a text message on screen stating who's calling and the reason for the call. Sounds great to me. Think we've all had enough on nuisance. I have! They should also make it easier for people to port number as it can be a pain as you say.

i don't find changing mobile numbers that much of a nuisance and i actually have so many contacts to inform about my new number. sometimes i don't even port my number even though i can as i don't want to risk having to go through the port process going wrong and i am left without a phone for a day or two, which is a disaster for me as i don't use the landline and i need to be available on my mobile at all time.

i haven't changed my current number recently but i used to change it once a year. as i have said, it gets rid of people that i have given my number to previously but whom i no longer wish to speak to, so in a way it works out quite well.
andynicol4 h, 15 m ago

'AppleAmazonOutlookVirgin MobileVirgin …'AppleAmazonOutlookVirgin MobileVirgin MediaBankingNHSChemistPayPaleBayUniversity'Being honest OP, when did any of these contact you via your mobile?With the exception of Virgin Media, I've never, ever rec'd a call from any of the companies from your list, always contact is firstly via email, secondly via post.

Amazon customer service will ring you if you request a ring back. If you've an ongoing case, eBay/Paypal will ring you on your mobile (if that is your contact number you provided). ISP (Virgin Media) will ring/text you if you've a problem with their service. Pretty much all of them can contact you via mobile (a part from Apple) or it's for security reasons i.e bank will ring (automated) or text you if you've tried to deposit/spend a large amount.
Also if you ring first thing in the morning at 8am to your surgery, you can book an callback appointment for a doctor to ring you (saves you popping down there).
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 18th Mar
Original Poster
andynicol4 h, 3 m ago

'AppleAmazonOutlookVirgin MobileVirgin …'AppleAmazonOutlookVirgin MobileVirgin MediaBankingNHSChemistPayPaleBayUniversity'Being honest OP, when did any of these contact you via your mobile?With the exception of Virgin Media, I've never, ever rec'd a call from any of the companies from your list, always contact is firstly via email, secondly via post.

I use two step verification with most of these companies, vm text me my bill, banks use security reset, chemist tells me when my medicine is ready, PayPal send usage notifications and two step, same with eBay and my uni sometimes send important stuff via text
Original Poster
chocci2 h, 26 m ago

Endless spam. Hence, I never give my mobile to anyone unless essential. …Endless spam. Hence, I never give my mobile to anyone unless essential. Companies that force you to enter a mobile when it isn't necessary get the mobile number of some bloke I can't stand

I’ve got a pay as you go sim for all of that nonsense it really helps . Leave the phone in the window until I need it
Original Poster
RiverDragon81 h, 13 m ago

Amazon customer service will ring you if you request a ring back. If …Amazon customer service will ring you if you request a ring back. If you've an ongoing case, eBay/Paypal will ring you on your mobile (if that is your contact number you provided). ISP (Virgin Media) will ring/text you if you've a problem with their service. Pretty much all of them can contact you via mobile (a part from Apple) or it's for security reasons i.e bank will ring (automated) or text you if you've tried to deposit/spend a large amount.Also if you ring first thing in the morning at 8am to your surgery, you can book an callback appointment for a doctor to ring you (saves you popping down there).

I only trust certain companies with my mobile telephone number. John Lewis is another one that I trust, I've had them call me back, their customer service is on par with Apple. However, for click and reserve items, I just enter my pay and go number for say halfords and argos

I'm really careful with my number, it's a nuisance having to deal with these indians.
I know a couple people who don't have or even know their own landline number, they rely on people contacting them on their mobile.
Original Poster
RiverDragon850 m ago

I know a couple people who don't have or even know their own landline …I know a couple people who don't have or even know their own landline number, they rely on people contacting them on their mobile.

With time, I'd say the landline is more personal. Only certain family have my landline, and certain institutions, like my gp, the nhs.
Check your bank statement to see what companies you've been using that may need contact details updating.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions