Where’s the best place to get durable lighting cables?

Found 16th Jun
Mine keep breaking (Apple genuine). Looking for something Apple certificated and durable. Thanks guys!
Community Updates
AskHomewareLighting
12 Comments
Aukey braided ones on Amazon, bought a 3 metre one for £7 year or so ago.
deleted396333
Why are you bothered if they're Apple certified if your Apple genuine cables keep breaking?
Anker from amazon is very good too

Good after sales support as well
deleted39633317th Jun

Why are you bothered if they're Apple certified if your Apple genuine …Why are you bothered if they're Apple certified if your Apple genuine cables keep breaking?

Because I’ve seen a lot of news reports of cheap cables catching on fire and I didn’t want to risk it as I charge my devices overnight. I want something durable and safe.
Anker on Amazon amazon.co.uk/Ank…c=1
Edited by: "andy186186" 17th Jun
See many reports of people breaking their charging cables.

I have had many smartphones over the years, and almost every iPhone up to and including the iPhone 6. Now a happy Huawei user and wouldn't go back, ever.

Not once have I had a cable fail or break on me.

The ONLY reason why cables keep breaking to some people is purely their mistreatment of them.
Exactly what I’m after now. Maplins own were very durable and I’ve never had one break, plus they had a warranty for a few years if they did.

Couple of people have mentioned Anker so I’m going to look at them.
Anker and if they break in 18 month they will send you a new one.
Now this sounds exactly the kind of thing the Consumer Rights act 2015 was designed to cover under Durability. Maybe 6 years would be too long a time but 'keep breaking' sounds like Not Fit for Purpose, Not Durable and Not of Satisfactory Quality
Amazon ‘value’ range
preecey5 h, 22 m ago

See many reports of people breaking their charging cables.I have had many …See many reports of people breaking their charging cables.I have had many smartphones over the years, and almost every iPhone up to and including the iPhone 6. Now a happy Huawei user and wouldn't go back, ever. Not once have I had a cable fail or break on me. The ONLY reason why cables keep breaking to some people is purely their mistreatment of them.

Not true. The older Apple cables (eg, the one that came with the iPhone 4 or iPod video) used to be much more resilient and lasted for years before any visible wear and tear. The more recent ones (in my personal experience the last three/four years, at least, but maybe longer) are very fragile and I’ve had to apply electrical tape to all of them.

Mind you, I take good care of my cables, but Apple has replaced the outer casing with such a fragile material that the only way of preventing the casing from tearing is not using the cable at all.

Ironically, Apple changed the outer casing of the lightning cables to make them more environmentally friendly (by removing PVC from the casing materials after Greenpeace lobbied for this). Ironically because this means that cables start to disintegrate long before they’re no longer needed, forcing consumers to buy replacements.

By my maths having to get two cables instead of one is not environmentally friendly, in the same way that forcing users to upgrade through planned obsolescence is not environmentally friendly, but just because I generally like a company it doesn’t mean I buy every bit or marketing they try to sell me.

PS: you have seen many reports because the rate at which the newer cables break is much higher when compared to the old ones. This is reported not just by consumers on numerous forums, but in the news. Your own personal experience may vary, but it does not cancel out the experience reported by a substantial number of people.

PPS: I’ll add photos of my own anecdotal evidence.

This is what the ends of the cable that came with my iPhone 4 look like today (I’ve charged that phone daily for over four years).

34042057-bnxJo.jpg

This is what the ends of all the Apple cables I’ve been using more recently look like today (disgusting, I know ):
34042057-NmF0H.jpg
1. Temporary fix: electrical tape.
2. More permanent fix: Sugru.
3. Permanent fix: Anker or equally resistant Apple-certified cable.

I’m planning on implementing stage 2 before replacing all my cables as they still work and I hate waste. Need to stop procrastinating as I’ve had the Sugru for quite a while now.
Edited by: "melomanias" 17th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants