Whey protien

Found 16th Oct 2017
where do people buy their whey protein from?
Community Updates
Ask
38 Comments
Bulk Powders currently but have used My Protein in the past.
Original Poster
Rusty8225 m ago

Bulk Powders currently but have used My Protein in the past.

was looking at bulk powders as seem better value than my protein. would you recommend?
Yeah I've never had a problem. Always quick delivery. Usually there will be some sort of voucher for money off going about if you have a look.
deleted800342
Amazon when they have deals on Optimum Nutrition Gold.
I used to be one of the many who thought it was overpriced so I'd buy cheaper brands like myprotein, but you have to look at the cost per serving not per kg of product.
The cheaper brands also really don't taste as good as the not so cheap ones.
dont need protein. eating enough from a normal diet, youve been conned by exclellent marketing gimmicks
deleted800342
mattsk16 m ago

dont need protein. eating enough from a normal diet, youve been conned by …dont need protein. eating enough from a normal diet, youve been conned by exclellent marketing gimmicks

Powdered protein is great as a supplement for those times when it's not convenient to have a whole roast chicken in your gym bag.
It would be lovely if we all had time to make delicious nutritional meals several times a day, but some of us don't.
mattsk40 m ago

dont need protein. eating enough from a normal diet, youve been conned by …dont need protein. eating enough from a normal diet, youve been conned by exclellent marketing gimmicks

Silly comment. Ignore this OP.
deleted80034217th Oct 2017

Powdered protein is great as a supplement for those times when it's not …Powdered protein is great as a supplement for those times when it's not convenient to have a whole roast chicken in your gym bag.It would be lovely if we all had time to make delicious nutritional meals several times a day, but some of us don't.

Really?
Let's see
Breakfast
Scrambled egg X2 = 15g
2 slices of bread =3g
Glass of milk = 7g

Don't like egg swap it for bacon butty and get 20g there
Or porridge made up with milk and some nuts on top

Lunch
Chicken breast (average size is 180g) that's minimum 45g
Piece of fish ... Similar or better
Some veg will have protein
Milky pudding like yoghurt 5-10g

Dinner
Cooked meal as above
Or a sandwich with some ham or chicken or tuna... whatever ,
Peanut butter and banana milkshake 10-15g

Total .... Minimum of over 100g of protein
That's not including snacks or a simple glass of milk as a drink few times in a day

Average 90kg gym goer needs just 1.2g of protein per kilo weight ... Suggest you do the math.

But hey you read those fancy blogs on the internet
Edited by: "mattsk" 17th Oct 2017
Rusty829 h, 29 m ago

Silly comment. Ignore this OP.

Prove me wrong . So far it's you with a silly comment
deleted800342
mattsk22 m ago

Really?Let's see BreakfastScrambled egg X2 = 15g2 slices of bread =3gGlass …Really?Let's see BreakfastScrambled egg X2 = 15g2 slices of bread =3gGlass of milk = 7gDon't like egg swap it for bacon butty and get 20g there Or porridge made up with milk and some nuts on top Lunch Chicken breast (average size is 180g) that's minimum 45g Piece of fish ... Similar or betterSome veg will have protein Milky pudding like yoghurt 5-10gDinner Cooked meal as above Or a sandwich with some ham or chicken or tuna... whatever , Peanut butter and banana milkshake 10-15gTotal .... Minimum of over 100g of protein That's not including snacks or a simple glass of milk as a drink few times in a day Average 90kg gym goer needs just 1.2g of protein per kilo weight ... Suggest you do the math.But hey you read those fancy blogs on the internet

Yes, really.
deleted80034217th Oct 2017

Yes, really.

not sure if blind or something else but you have clearly missed 99% of my comment
Try matrix nutrition. 5kg delivered for £44, taste good
Original Poster
Thanks all. I have a balanced diet, but I am only averaging 50 grams of protein against what I would like to have 100gms. I exercise everyday and I want to make sure that my muscles are having enough protein to recover.
I use whey protein from go nutrition. Not entirely sure if they are the best or cheapest, but I've got no complaints and it does the job
ericagradus3 h, 23 m ago

Thanks all. I have a balanced diet, but I am only averaging 50 grams of …Thanks all. I have a balanced diet, but I am only averaging 50 grams of protein against what I would like to have 100gms. I exercise everyday and I want to make sure that my muscles are having enough protein to recover.

balanced diet is around 55/30/15 Carbs/Fat/Protein im assuming you are a male with an average activity and weigh meaning your requirements are around 2400kcal, 15% of that is 360kcal thats equivalent to 90g of protein. I suggest you reconsider and check your diet rather going with pointless supplements. Get the basics right first!!!!
and unless you are hardcore vegan there is no chance you will eat only 50g of protein in a day on a balanced diet
Edited by: "mattsk" 17th Oct 2017
mattsk14 h, 52 m ago

Prove me wrong . So far it's you with a silly comment

Not everyone has the same body, the same metabolism. Some people who can't keep weight on generally speaking require a higher than average protein intake if they want to increase muscle mass. I'm not saying you can't get protein from your normal diet but there is nothing wrong with supplementing it if that's what you want to do.

I wonder why top performing athletes who have science behind them choose to enhance their training with supplements. I suppose those scientists have been hoodwinked by the pesky advertising as well
Rusty827 h, 10 m ago

Not everyone has the same body, the same metabolism. Some people who can't …Not everyone has the same body, the same metabolism. Some people who can't keep weight on generally speaking require a higher than average protein intake if they want to increase muscle mass. I'm not saying you can't get protein from your normal diet but there is nothing wrong with supplementing it if that's what you want to do.I wonder why top performing athletes who have science behind them choose to enhance their training with supplements. I suppose those scientists have been hoodwinked by the pesky advertising as well

Citation needed
Also would like to see what athletes take protein supplements please name few and provide source of those claims ...Unlesses that need 8000kcal per day which is a lot of food. And yes they have science behind them these people are called dietitians and trust me these people would agree with me on the matter since I have the same degree as they do ...
mattsk5 h, 58 m ago

Citation needed Also would like to see what athletes take protein …Citation needed Also would like to see what athletes take protein supplements please name few and provide source of those claims ...Unlesses that need 8000kcal per day which is a lot of food. And yes they have science behind them these people are called dietitians and trust me these people would agree with me on the matter since I have the same degree as they do ...

I wrote a reply then deleted it. I realised how bored I am. Goodbye Mr Degree.
Original Poster
In an ideal World - I would have time to prep protein enriched food, but... life isn't that easy, baby, work, life! And thank you mattsk, but your diet is not quite as easy when you a dairy free.
So thanks all for your input, I have opted with bulk powder and myprotein to supplement my diet.
ericagradus16 h, 4 m ago

In an ideal World - I would have time to prep protein enriched food, …In an ideal World - I would have time to prep protein enriched food, but... life isn't that easy, baby, work, life! And thank you mattsk, but your diet is not quite as easy when you a dairy free.So thanks all for your input, I have opted with bulk powder and myprotein to supplement my diet.

If you are dairy free why are you buying whey protein ?
You think people don't have work , family and so on ?
Balanced diet can be achieved on any form of food allergy or restriction... You clearly can't even get the basics right and yet you are jumping for an easy fix.
If you are dairy free swap for soya based products or lactose free whichever is you apparently suffer from . It's not that hard
Edited by: "mattsk" 19th Oct 2017
mattsk51 m ago

If you are dairy free why are you buying whey protein ?You think people …If you are dairy free why are you buying whey protein ?You think people don't have work , family and so on ?Balanced diet can be achieved on any form of food allergy or restriction... You clearly can't even get the basics right and yet you are jumping for an easy fix.If you are dairy free swap for soya based products or lactose free whichever is you apparently suffer from . It's not that hard

What about those who cannot afford a high protein and varied diet? What should they do to aquire a large amount of protein 7 days a week?
Rusty824 h, 46 m ago

What about those who cannot afford a high protein and varied diet? What …What about those who cannot afford a high protein and varied diet? What should they do to aquire a large amount of protein 7 days a week?

lol that the most ridiculous argument I've heard.... you cant afford healthy balanced diet but you can afford protein shakes and gym membership?

also like I have said you have ignored 99% of my previous comment, does the example of the diet look expensive to you?

but hey only fools will skip basic nutrition for supplements
Original Poster
mattsk6 h, 16 m ago

If you are dairy free why are you buying whey protein ?You think people …If you are dairy free why are you buying whey protein ?You think people don't have work , family and so on ?Balanced diet can be achieved on any form of food allergy or restriction... You clearly can't even get the basics right and yet you are jumping for an easy fix.If you are dairy free swap for soya based products or lactose free whichever is you apparently suffer from . It's not that hard

You do know that lactose intolerance is very different to a dairy allergy?! And we are on the 'milk ladder' so actually, I can have whey powder.
mattsk41 m ago

lol that the most ridiculous argument I've heard.... you cant afford …lol that the most ridiculous argument I've heard.... you cant afford healthy balanced diet but you can afford protein shakes and gym membership?also like I have said you have ignored 99% of my previous comment, does the example of the diet look expensive to you?but hey only fools will skip basic nutrition for supplements

Gym 9.99
Protein 20
Total 29.99

Divided by 30 = 1 measly pound per day
Rusty821 m ago

Gym 9.99Protein 20Total 29.99Divided by 30 = 1 measly pound per day

In fact, the gym membership is there with or without protein so less than a pound per day. Eejit
Rusty8258 m ago

Gym 9.99Protein 20Total 29.99Divided by 30 = 1 measly pound per day

strange usually gym memberships are between 20-30 quid not sure where you get your prices.
again if you cant get basic nutrition first you should not go fo supplements
PS> im still waiting for you to provide names of athletes that use protein shakes

ericagradus1 h, 2 m ago

You do know that lactose intolerance is very different to a dairy …You do know that lactose intolerance is very different to a dairy allergy?! And we are on the 'milk ladder' so actually, I can have whey powder.

yes i know exactly what the difference is.
but you are simply digging a bigger hole, if you are on a milk ladder you should be able to tolerate milk as well if you can have whey (suggest you check how whey protein is made)....but hey im gonna call BS on you claim... as protein powders do no fit anywhere on the milk ladder since they are not treated with heat and denatured
Edited by: "mattsk" 19th Oct 2017
Original Poster
mattsk20 m ago

strange usually gym memberships are between 20-30 quid not sure where you …strange usually gym memberships are between 20-30 quid not sure where you get your prices.again if you cant get basic nutrition first you should not go fo supplementsPS> im still waiting for you to provide names of athletes that use protein shakesyes i know exactly what the difference is.but you are simply digging a bigger hole, if you are on a milk ladder you should be able to tolerate milk as well if you can have whey (suggest you check how whey protein is made)....but hey im gonna call BS on you claim... as protein powders do no fit anywhere on the milk ladder since they are not treated with heat and denatured

mattsk20 m ago

strange usually gym memberships are between 20-30 quid not sure where you …strange usually gym memberships are between 20-30 quid not sure where you get your prices.again if you cant get basic nutrition first you should not go fo supplementsPS> im still waiting for you to provide names of athletes that use protein shakesyes i know exactly what the difference is.but you are simply digging a bigger hole, if you are on a milk ladder you should be able to tolerate milk as well if you can have whey (suggest you check how whey protein is made)....but hey im gonna call BS on you claim... as protein powders do no fit anywhere on the milk ladder since they are not treated with heat and denatured

I was treating whey protein like on par with dried skimmed milk. And my daughter has had no reaction when we have mixed in cooking. If whey is not being 'heated' is it the same as me literally having the same milk proteins as drinking a glass of milk? I obviously won't be given her protein shakes, but I am BF, hence why I am on milk ladder? And my diet has mirrored hers on milk ladder to date.
ericagradus46 m ago

I was treating whey protein like on par with dried skimmed milk. And my …I was treating whey protein like on par with dried skimmed milk. And my daughter has had no reaction when we have mixed in cooking. If whey is not being 'heated' is it the same as me literally having the same milk proteins as drinking a glass of milk? I obviously won't be given her protein shakes, but I am BF, hence why I am on milk ladder? And my diet has mirrored hers on milk ladder to date.

first of all congratulation with BF, not many mums do that.
skimmed milk powder would be heat treated (often rapidly boiled to evaporate the water) whereas protein powders are often filtered through a ceramic filters and then warm/cool dried. so 2 different processes entirely. It is possible that protein powder was cheap enough and they just boiled the crap out of whey liquid rather than filtered.
paediatrics is not my cup of tea but since guidelines have changed to 6 step ladder I dont even know where smp would fit. im guessing you are seeing an actual dietitian at the hospital who should be able to advise you on that (they have far much more experience).
you can also ask her/him if you are getting enough of protein for what you want to do... I can assure you if you are not a grass eater aka vegan you are getting enough of protein especially as a female. save that 40 quid a month and pop it into your baby's saving
Original Poster
mattsk32 m ago

first of all congratulation with BF, not many mums do that. skimmed milk …first of all congratulation with BF, not many mums do that. skimmed milk powder would be heat treated (often rapidly boiled to evaporate the water) whereas protein powders are often filtered through a ceramic filters and then warm/cool dried. so 2 different processes entirely. It is possible that protein powder was cheap enough and they just boiled the crap out of whey liquid rather than filtered.paediatrics is not my cup of tea but since guidelines have changed to 6 step ladder I dont even know where smp would fit. im guessing you are seeing an actual dietitian at the hospital who should be able to advise you on that (they have far much more experience).you can also ask her/him if you are getting enough of protein for what you want to do... I can assure you if you are not a grass eater aka vegan you are getting enough of protein especially as a female. save that 40 quid a month and pop it into your baby's saving

Yes, we have a dietitian, so I will drop her a line tomorrow for some guidance. I may just revisit this when we stop BF. Thanks
mattsk11 h, 41 m ago

My gym membership is 9.99 per month. That's where I get my information from. Again, eejit!
Rusty828 h, 53 m ago

My gym membership is 9.99 per month. That's where I get my information …My gym membership is 9.99 per month. That's where I get my information from. Again, eejit!

neil armstrong ate chicken and he went to the moon, if I eat a chicken will I go to the moon?
you are completely unable to see through your own BS
mattsk15 m ago

neil armstrong ate chicken and he went to the moon, if I eat a chicken …neil armstrong ate chicken and he went to the moon, if I eat a chicken will I go to the moon?you are completely unable to see through your own BS

You have a mental condition. You should see someone. Soon. Before it is too late.
mattsk21 h, 3 m ago

I am very busy but have managed to squeeze a 60 second search in and found a nice article with an athlete, not that famous and maybe not achieved that much in his career but he used protein shakes a lot as part of his training...

32284572-XC6om.jpg
Rusty8213 m ago

I am very busy but have managed to squeeze a 60 second search in and found …I am very busy but have managed to squeeze a 60 second search in and found a nice article with an athlete, not that famous and maybe not achieved that much in his career but he used protein shakes a lot as part of his training... [Image]

perhaps someone that is not a face of supplement marketing company? you understand term bias or invested interest?

but let me tell you so you stop with this nonsense. protein shakes have number of unidentified ingredients that on drug/doping test come as positive and lead to disqualification for years or life

properly balanced diet will cover all nutritional needs without supplements you clearly are unable to understand that
mattsk4 m ago

perhaps someone that is not a face of supplement marketing company? you …perhaps someone that is not a face of supplement marketing company? you understand term bias or invested interest?but let me tell you so you stop with this nonsense. protein shakes have number of unidentified ingredients that on drug/doping test come as positive and lead to disqualification for years or lifeproperly balanced diet will cover all nutritional needs without supplements you clearly are unable to understand that

I am not disagreeing that you can't get all the protein that you require from a balanced diet but for those who cannot for whatever reason then a supplement is perfectly acceptable.
Rusty8220th Oct

I am not disagreeing that you can't get all the protein that you require …I am not disagreeing that you can't get all the protein that you require from a balanced diet but for those who cannot for whatever reason then a supplement is perfectly acceptable.

please elaborate for what reason you wont get enough protein from a BALANCED DIET
mattsk25 m ago

please elaborate for what reason you wont get enough protein from a …please elaborate for what reason you wont get enough protein from a BALANCED DIET

Cannot GET a balanced diet is what I said
clearly you dont since you still insist you cant get enough protein on balanced diet
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions