Groups

Which 16GB memory card for dashcam?

Looking on Argos for memory card for dashcam, they have 2 reasonably priced but a bit confused as to why one is cheaper than the the other. Only £1 difference so not a concern, but I want durability.

The camera records in 7 minute cycles,and overwrites the oldest recording when card is full,so either card will do ( I leave it running all night to keep an eye on rear access to property).

Any suggestions which would be most durable/suitable please?

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/1066926

argos.co.uk/pro…851

13 Comments

the first one is class 10, the second class 4. Class 10 is fastest then class 6, class 4 is slowest.

bubblegum2910

the first one is class 10, the second class 4. Class 10 is fastest then … the first one is class 10, the second class 4. Class 10 is fastest then class 6, class 4 is slowest.

I think that should be the other way round.

Amazon are cheaper

amazon.co.uk/San…ard
    Edited by: "Smartguy1" 4th Jun

I bought a 16gb SanDisk from asda for £10

Original Poster

would it make any major difference which class for a dashcam? I had a cheap one from Amazon but that's crashed, so want a genuine one.

mrty

...I want durability. The camera records in 7 minute cycles,and … ...I want durability. The camera records in 7 minute cycles,and overwrites the oldest recording when card is full,so either card will do ( I leave it running all night to keep an eye on rear access to property).

On the assumption that most dashcams have poor nightvision and you may also face the real possibility of useful footage being overwritten if the cam is left unattended for an extended period, suggest you consider a monitoring solution involving a dedicated external camera with features of nightvision and motion-triggered image email, although such a solution would typically require access to a wired power supply and wired/wieless internet. Cams offering that facility would start from around £20.

16gb will only record around 1.5hrs of 1080p how are you planning to record overnight ? did you actually research the topic?

Smartguy1

I think that should be the other way round.Amazon are … I think that should be the other way round.Amazon are cheaperhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Android-microSDHC-Frustration-Packaging/dp/B013UDL5V6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1496574855&sr=8-3&keywords=16gb+micro+sd+card

expertreviews.co.uk/sto…osd

The original question was about microsd cards for a dashcam.

If anyone is interested the best place to find out about dashcams is Techmoan on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ0Tm9FFpKM

I tried a couple of dashcams before getting a Nextbase 402. In my opinion, none of them will show a good quality image at night or when it is raining.
    Most dashcams have a setting called G sensor, so that on impact the last segment is stored. If it is not set correctly, speed bumps can set it off.
    Another issue, the view, generally it will only show the front, or if rear facing camera rear, (yes stating the bleeding obvious)
    If someone clips your door mirror, it will not show the actual impact.
    I leave mine on permanently, but if I have been away from the car for a few hours, the images could have been overwritten.And if left overnight, you might not see any damage for a few hours, again it could have been overwritten.

Original Poster

mattsokolinski

16gb will only record around 1.5hrs of 1080p how are you planning to … 16gb will only record around 1.5hrs of 1080p how are you planning to record overnight ? did you actually research the topic?

To be honest, no I didn't research the subject, having had a look I will need a larger memory card. I suppose I'm still in the mindset of the old video cameras circa 1985.

your better off with a minimum of 32gb as it records and rewrites over every 3 mins...well mine does..as it records in 4k

mrty

To be honest, no I didn't research the subject, having had a look I will … To be honest, no I didn't research the subject, having had a look I will need a larger memory card. I suppose I'm still in the mindset of the old video cameras circa 1985.

ignore the concept of recording at night while your car is parked..
    1. it will drain your cars battery
    2. you will see jack .... on the footage
    3. invest in a decent camera that you can hang on a wall

get a class 6 micro sd minimum 32gb, set your dash cam to split file every 3 minutes and thats it

Original Poster

mattsokolinski

ignore the concept of recording at night while your car is parked..1. it … ignore the concept of recording at night while your car is parked..1. it will drain your cars battery2. you will see jack .... on the footage3. invest in a decent camera that you can hang on a wallget a class 6 micro sd minimum 32gb, set your dash cam to split file every 3 minutes and thats it

​ Thanks, I didn't realise how quickly it would rewrite. I have been leaving dashcam on all night for nine months now without effect on battery, but I do have a large diesel automatic with a battery the size of a suitcase. However I won't be doing that again as its pointless without a massive card in it. (It's not as silly as it sounds as the camera faced down a narrow alley-way at the rear of our house, so it was easy to focus and only 1 metre from front of car. There is a street light behind the car that shines light into the alley, so the recorded images are pretty good).

Now on the lookout for a decent size memory card. Just got to find paperwork to see what card it can handle. Thanks.

I had one in my diesel audi recording 24/7 and the memory card only lasted a few months before becoming unusable, had to send it back under warranty, so bought a different brand and that did the same, so they seem to struggle with the amount of read/writes required to run 24/7.

I have changed car and the camera is only on when the powers on and the card had been running for a year now.

so my advice get a decent memory card that has a decent warranty.

BTW never had a problem with my battery.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73844453
      2. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1957
      3. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?24
      4. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value26

See more discussions