Which 2tb hard drive do I buy to upgrade my PS4 with?

Found 7th Jul 2015
Hello fellow gamers,

I would really love the help of those who have already upgraded their drives so I can get some people's opinions who have done it themselves. I have been doing lots of research (and am quite technologically abled) so am aware of some possible drives...however we all know the theory and the application can be often very different. The following drives I have whittled it down to are the following:

- Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 inch External Hard Drive for PC, Xbox One & Xbox 360 (£59.99 @ Amazon.co.uk)

With this drive I would follow these instructions (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb)....now this seems like the cheapest option however I seem to remember seeing some users post on here that Seagate have announced faults with some drives and a lot of users seem to get a beeping noise from their Seagate drives in their PS4? I can't find information on it but would be great to know for people if they use this and their experience of it.

- Samsung M9T 2TB 9.5mm SATA 2.5 inch Internal Hard Drive, PS4 Compatible (£81.90 @ Amazon.co.uk)

With this drive it is more expensive but seems to be the drive that most tend to go for. Now my quibble with this drive is that; 1. It is more expensive and 2. Everyone says how Samsung drives are much more reliable than Seagate's but from what I can gather both this drive and the drive above are made by both Seagate/Samsung?!?

Any help is really appreciated.

Cheers
Community Updates
AskHard Drive
9 Comments
The drive inside that portable Seagate Expansion is the exact same Samsung M9T that you mentioned in your other choice. Seagate acquired Samsung's hard drive sector a few years ago. If you read the article you linked, it even says "Seagate/Samsung" quite a few times and mentions it being model ST2000LM003, which is the M9T. The drive on its own is more expensive but if you extract the drive from the Seagate Expansion, it voids the warranty i think so if that's something you're concerned about and want to pay extra, go for that. However the other benefit of the Seagate expansion other than it being cheaper, is that you then have an enclosure to put the 500gb drive from the PS4, back into.

As you mentioned people have said they've had beeping problems with this drive on hotukdeals.com/tag…431 but if you want a 2TB drive, it's the only one at the moment that is 9.5mm SATA which the PS4 requires.

Comment

dreadzone101

The drive inside that portable Seagate Expansion is the exact same … The drive inside that portable Seagate Expansion is the exact same Samsung M9T that you mentioned in your other choice. Seagate acquired Samsung's hard drive sector a few years ago. If you read the article you linked, it even says "Seagate/Samsung" quite a few times and mentions it being model ST2000LM003, which is the M9T. The drive on its own is more expensive but if you extract the drive from the Seagate Expansion, it voids the warranty i think so if that's something you're concerned about and want to pay extra, go for that. However the other benefit of the Seagate expansion other than it being cheaper, is that you then have an enclosure to put the 500gb drive from the PS4, back into.As you mentioned people have said they've had beeping problems with this drive on this thread but if you want a 2TB drive, it's the only one at the moment that is 9.5mm SATA which the PS4 requires.

This is great thank you, let's just say the drive faulted...could I not just put it back in its caddy and Amazon would be none the wiser? Or when you open the caddy does it break a warranty label?
jwhitbread

Comment This is great thank you, let's just say the drive faulted...could … Comment This is great thank you, let's just say the drive faulted...could I not just put it back in its caddy and Amazon would be none the wiser? Or when you open the caddy does it break a warranty label?

Don't think there is a warranty label since opening the caddy requires prying it open as opposed to screws covered by a label. Extraction video. You might be able to get away with returning it afterwards, without them noticing but it looks difficult to open up without leaving some minor marks to the caddy which would probably indicate to them that it's been tampered with.
I popped a 1TB SSHD in mine the day I bought the PS4. load times are marginally better in some circumstances but it's worth looking into whether or not you would benefit from using one. Not sure of the brand but the installation was straightforward and performance has been fine.

Comment

dreadzone101

Don't think there is a warranty label since opening the caddy requires … Don't think there is a warranty label since opening the caddy requires prying it open as opposed to screws covered by a label. Extraction video. You might be able to get away with returning it afterwards, without them noticing but it looks difficult to open up without leaving some minor marks to the caddy which would probably indicate to them that it's been tampered with.

ok brilliant thank you, just trying to work out now whether the beeping has indeed stopped with the firmware updates or if it's back!

Comment

caseh

I popped a 1TB SSHD in mine the day I bought the PS4. load times are … I popped a 1TB SSHD in mine the day I bought the PS4. load times are marginally better in some circumstances but it's worth looking into whether or not you would benefit from using one. Not sure of the brand but the installation was straightforward and performance has been fine.

cheers, I'll look into the sshds, I know IGN reviewed one and said it was pretty good
I installed this drive in my PS4. Haven't had any issues so far. Taking the drive out of the case is a bit tricky and it does cause damage to the case, so I think Amazon would notice.
jaydog69

I installed this drive in my PS4. Haven't had any issues so far. Taking … I installed this drive in my PS4. Haven't had any issues so far. Taking the drive out of the case is a bit tricky and it does cause damage to the case, so I think Amazon would notice.

How long have you had it in the Ps4 and how much of it is filled out of curiosity?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants