Which 55” 4K TV to go for please?

Found 14th Feb
Hi HUKD

Sooo.....after A LOT of research and JL price matching / Richer sounds price beating........I have narrowed down to these 2.....can you help me decide please with some better TV knowledge / user experience of these models (if poss

1. SAMSUNG - UE55MU6400 - £589

2. LG - 55UJ750V - £649

THANK YOU V MUCH

Ps - I can’t go any higher price OR larger screen (and not smaller really as have 49” currently)
Community Updates
AskElectronics
14 Comments
ok i have used richer sounds for the last 6 years and have to say the BEST customer service i have had..... why you may ask as i have had 2 free tvs in 6 years due to their great cover

1 tv after 3 years went bang and after a replacement board, went bang again and got a new tv and even a upgrade.
3 years later same thing on that make (panny) so i moved to LG . i went from a 55 to 65 inch for FREE.

you need to make sure the following:

HAS true HDR for 4k as some tv claim to be 4k, yet ps4 etc or youtube videos (via tv app) wont play in 4k
min 3 hdmi (sky/virgin) dvd/bluray game
ideally you want sat and tv feeds as well built in

bonis if has built in wifi
I have the Samsung. Very happy with it so far. 4K looks almost ‘too real’
gatwick20181 h, 10 m ago

you need to make sure the following:HAS true HDR for 4k as some tv claim …you need to make sure the following:HAS true HDR for 4k as some tv claim to be 4k, yet ps4 etc or youtube videos (via tv app) wont play in 4kmin 3 hdmi (sky/virgin) dvd/bluray gameideally you want sat and tv feeds as well built inbonis if has built in wifi

HDR is an entirely separate technology from 4K, and true or false is a confusing way to think about HDR. HDR support is a range, and it'll take several years at a minimum before we see TVs with full HDR support.

Given how rare HDR content is and how little support TVs in this price range have for it I wouldn't treat it as an important factor.

And everything these days has built in wi-fi.

@MBCH: Both are pretty similar IPS TVs with not a lot to differentiate them. Have you ruled out the Sony XE70 because of the narrower viewing angles?
Original Poster
EndlessWaves44 m ago

HDR is an entirely separate technology from 4K, and true or false is a …HDR is an entirely separate technology from 4K, and true or false is a confusing way to think about HDR. HDR support is a range, and it'll take several years at a minimum before we see TVs with full HDR support. Given how rare HDR content is and how little support TVs in this price range have for it I wouldn't treat it as an important factor. And everything these days has built in wi-fi.@MBCH: Both are pretty similar IPS TVs with not a lot to differentiate them. Have you ruled out the Sony XE70 because of the narrower viewing angles?

Hi EW - mainly ruled that range of Sony TVs out based on Low WHICH review scores, critiquing the sound and the app / operation system (which I do think LG has an excellent version of, even on my old LG - do you have the Sony yourself? Thanks again!
Original Poster
gatwick20182 h, 28 m ago

ok i have used richer sounds for the last 6 years and have to say the BEST …ok i have used richer sounds for the last 6 years and have to say the BEST customer service i have had..... why you may ask as i have had 2 free tvs in 6 years due to their great cover1 tv after 3 years went bang and after a replacement board, went bang again and got a new tv and even a upgrade.3 years later same thing on that make (panny) so i moved to LG . i went from a 55 to 65 inch for FREE.you need to make sure the following:HAS true HDR for 4k as some tv claim to be 4k, yet ps4 etc or youtube videos (via tv app) wont play in 4kmin 3 hdmi (sky/virgin) dvd/bluray gameideally you want sat and tv feeds as well built inbonis if has built in wifi

Am Defo going to go to Richer sounds to see if they will “price beat” the JL match thanks for this reassurance! Much appreciated!
Original Poster
Babbabooey2 h, 25 m ago

I have the Samsung. Very happy with it so far. 4K looks almost ‘too r …I have the Samsung. Very happy with it so far. 4K looks almost ‘too real’

How do you find the apps / interface / “one remote” please?
EndlessWaves2 h, 30 m ago

HDR is an entirely separate technology from 4K, and true or false is a …HDR is an entirely separate technology from 4K, and true or false is a confusing way to think about HDR. HDR support is a range, and it'll take several years at a minimum before we see TVs with full HDR support. Given how rare HDR content is and how little support TVs in this price range have for it I wouldn't treat it as an important factor. And everything these days has built in wi-fi.@MBCH: Both are pretty similar IPS TVs with not a lot to differentiate them. Have you ruled out the Sony XE70 because of the narrower viewing angles?

HDR content is far from rare, but I agree at this price range the TV will not really support it.
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 14th Feb
MBCH2 h, 35 m ago

How do you find the apps / interface / “one remote” please?

I don’t use the remote, I have a Harmony which takes care of it. The interface isn’t the best, doesn’t flow naturally in my opinion, but I don’t use it all that often. One thing I do not like is the silver edge of the whole thing makes it feel like you are watching a picture frame! I would prefer a black bezel in hindsight.
OBH6UK5 h, 25 m ago

HDR content is far from rare, but I agree at this price range the TV will …HDR content is far from rare, but I agree at this price range the TV will not really support it.

Name me a single British TV program currently available in HDR.

It may not be rare to people with certain areas of interest, but it's certainly rare overall.
MBCH7 h, 11 m ago

Hi EW - mainly ruled that range of Sony TVs out based on Low WHICH review …Hi EW - mainly ruled that range of Sony TVs out based on Low WHICH review scores, critiquing the sound and the app / operation system (which I do think LG has an excellent version of, even on my old LG - do you have the Sony yourself? Thanks again!

I don't, but I do have an LG with their current smart TV system and I wouldn't call it excellent. It's passable but there are lots of small niggles.

Are you going to be using the built in speakers then?
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 14th Feb
Original Poster
EndlessWaves6 m ago

Name me a single British TV program currently available in HDR.It may not …Name me a single British TV program currently available in HDR.It may not be rare to people with certain areas of interest, but it's certainly rare overall. I don't, but I do have an LG with their current smart TV system and I wouldn't call it excellent. It's passable but there are lots of small niggles.Are you going to be using the built in speakers then?

Hi EW - not worried about speakers particularly as have a decent sound bar with current TV.....could you let me know some
Of those niggles with the OS please? Do you use the smart remote? Thanks so much
Original Poster
EndlessWaves8 m ago

Name me a single British TV program currently available in HDR.It may not …Name me a single British TV program currently available in HDR.It may not be rare to people with certain areas of interest, but it's certainly rare overall. I don't, but I do have an LG with their current smart TV system and I wouldn't call it excellent. It's passable but there are lots of small niggles.Are you going to be using the built in speakers then?

Also, would you say not worth getting sucked into the whole 4K / UHD “stuff” then? Just go bigger screen size (that is my main reason, getting a better TV at 55 inch rather than 47 currently
EndlessWaves19 m ago

Name me a single British TV program currently available in HDR

Blue Planet 2
bbc.co.uk/new…220
The Crown

Don't ask for anymore mind you lol.

EndlessWaves1 h, 15 m ago

HDR is part of the Blu-ray UHD 4K spec, so most Blu-ray UHD 4K discs have it. Also Amazon Prime, Netflix, Youtube stream some programming in HDR. As there is very little actually broadcast in HDR apart from test transmissions via satellite, receivable by some satellite receiver equipped TV and boxes, these other sources will be most peoples sources for HDR and 4K UHD..
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 14th Feb
HDR is for game consoles and even you tube, i watched grand tour in 4k and comes up HDR!
so im sure netflix ect as well sets to HDR

HDR, or high dynamic range, is the next big thing in TVs

There is NO LIVE 4k real channels in the UK. Sky is on demand etc
BUT if you want to watch amazion or netfix or game consoles then look at HDR
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants