Which 55" TV to go for - £400 budget.

Posted 1st Apr
I'm still trying to find the perfect TV. I've got a budget of around £400 but would prefer to spend less if possible!

I've made a few decisions.

First it must be 55" or 58" - can't really be any bigger as it won't fit, and can't really be any smaller as it will leave a gap.

I quite like the look of the ambilight feature.

From reading reviews of failures etc, I'd like a 6 year warranty.

Our current way of watching TV is as follows...

80% of the time, it is Netflix, through a chromecast - requested via voice with a google home mini.

15% of the time - kodi from a raspberry pi.

5% of the time (at most) - Freeview, from a youview humax recorder box. (mosty live - very little recorded)

The kids watch more TV than me and my wife.

Occasionally it is used with the wii - so connections for this would be useful, and sometimes an old original xbox through the component connections. As the kids get older I imagine that these will be replaced with newer consoles so their need may not be too great.

The 6 year warranty has guided me to Richer Sounds. I know there is the £10 off code.

So I'm looking at the following...

richersounds.com/lg-…tml - £409 (IPS)
richersounds.com/phi…tml - £389 (IPS)
richersounds.com/sam…tml - £419 (???)
richersounds.com/his…tml - £319 (???)

Obviously the Philips at £389 is the only one with ambilight, so it ticks the most boxes but are any of the others significantly better in any way?

I found that the first two were IPS panels, I couldn't find out about the other two, but one site seemed to suggest that the Samsung one was a lottery - and they put whatever is cheaper at the time.

I don't know if it affects anything at all but I could do with it not being too flimsy. The wall mount that I have is a very heavy duty one that allows the TV to pull forwards and push back, then tilt left or right. I need this as it is built into a chimney breast. Currently the 43" Samsung that we have that is slowly dying fits inside the chimney breast and you can pull it forwards to get to the stuff behind it and you can tilt it to the side should you be mainly sitting at one end of the room. The 55" TV will go on the outside of the chimney breast. I'm hoping that they are now slim enough for it to not stick out much. It however will need to be pushed back against the chimney breast - with just the edges making contact. With the mount being heavy duty it takes a little force to move and you obviously do this from the edges of the TV. The current TV has never had a problem with this but it is a big thick heavy lump! I just don't want something that will be easily damaged by moving.

Also on that note does the ambilight light shine out from the back or the sides?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

33 Comments
I'd go for the LG , IPS panels give a much larger viewing angle so everyone in the room can see the TV picture, The contrast is supposed not to be as good but appears this is only noticeable when watching in darkness and even then the picture is still good. I have this TV with 65" screen and all the family love it , OH said it was too big at first but soon changed her mind. Can also buy a magic remote for these from Argos at around £25.
IPS washed out colours..
Go for a Hisense with a VA panel
I would save up and get a decent screen for around the £800-£1000 mark.
I got the Samsung RU7100 from richer sounds. Best TV I’ve ever had it’s brilliant
Adam_C-82b30.6486601/04/2020 13:24

IPS washed out colours..Go for a Hisense with a VA panel

The picture on our TV in very good, with vivid colours and it's an IPS plus the added bonus is you don't have to sit right in front of it to get a good picture.
yorkie1201/04/2020 14:47

The picture on our TV in very good, with vivid colours and it's an IPS …The picture on our TV in very good, with vivid colours and it's an IPS plus the added bonus is you don't have to sit right in front of it to get a good picture.

Do you have the 7400 model?
The Hisense VA panels I have had have deeper blacks and you don’t have to sit directly in front of them, either..

I’d suggest the Hisense 7500 or u7a if you can stretch.
Adam_C-82b30.6486601/04/2020 14:55

Do you have the 7400 model?The Hisense VA panels I have had have deeper …Do you have the 7400 model?The Hisense VA panels I have had have deeper blacks and you don’t have to sit directly in front of them, either..I’d suggest the Hisense 7500 or u7a if you can stretch.

Yeah I have the 65" 7400 , got it Black Friday. The deeper blacks and better contrast thing with VA panels is only really discernible to the human eye when watching a TV in total darkness. Like most of the differences between VA and IPS panels it's very subtle but people read about them and make a song and dance. Even the experts say it's swings and roundabouts with them but the big difference that is easy to see is the viewing angle is much wider with IPS panels. Stick a 4K video on most of the TV's in Curry's and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between them , the exceptions being very low end and OLED.
Hisense b7500
rimalpatel00701/04/2020 12:24

https://www.richersounds.com/lg-55um7400plb.htmlI like the legs and will …https://www.richersounds.com/lg-55um7400plb.htmlI like the legs and will sit nicely on a table.

It is being wall mounted so the legs are irrelevant.
Bigfootpete01/04/2020 13:36

I would save up and get a decent screen for around the £800-£1000 mark.

I wouldn't need to save, my budget is simply set as what I can justify, as we don't really watch TV that much, I'm not willing to justify spending more. If anything is prefer to spend less. So if I waited a year my budget wouldn't change.
Thanks for the comments regarding IPS and VA panels. It sounds like an IPS panel is going to be best as we don't really ever watch in the dark and a wider viewing angle would be beneficial given the layout of our living room.

I noticed that nobody said to go for the Phillips. Is there any reason for that?
nbuuifx01/04/2020 16:37

Thanks for the comments regarding IPS and VA panels. It sounds like an IPS …Thanks for the comments regarding IPS and VA panels. It sounds like an IPS panel is going to be best as we don't really ever watch in the dark and a wider viewing angle would be beneficial given the layout of our living room.I noticed that nobody said to go for the Phillips. Is there any reason for that?

Not a market brand in LED.
Were for plasmas
nbuuifx01/04/2020 16:37

Thanks for the comments regarding IPS and VA panels. It sounds like an IPS …Thanks for the comments regarding IPS and VA panels. It sounds like an IPS panel is going to be best as we don't really ever watch in the dark and a wider viewing angle would be beneficial given the layout of our living room.I noticed that nobody said to go for the Phillips. Is there any reason for that?

I'd say go for the Philips as long as you're not using the built-in EPG or Smart Apps.

At this price point, all the sets are more than serviceable (exception to maybe the HiSense, the 7500 is far superior and only £379 at John Lewis johnlewis.com/his….ds)

The Ambilight is well worth it though, to add equivelant to any of the other TVs you'd need the £220 Hue Play HDMI box and £180 of Hue Play Light bars plus Hue hub.
Samsung
I'm also looking for a TV, but 43" or 49-50" max.
After researching LG, Samsung, Philips and Hisense, I'm left to choose between LG UM7400 or Hisense 7500. I would go for the LG as the software has better reviews than Hisense.
Is the £50 extra with John Lewis/Richer sounds worthy? In 20 years, i never had a problem with a TV, but only 1yr warranty with Hughes.
Exactly the same position as you... I've been going round in circles for weeks. Nearly went for the ambilight but have decided to go for the Hisense H55B7500UK from JL @£379.00

giboning01/04/2020 23:36

I'm also looking for a TV, but 43" or 49-50" max. After researching LG, …I'm also looking for a TV, but 43" or 49-50" max. After researching LG, Samsung, Philips and Hisense, I'm left to choose between LG UM7400 or Hisense 7500. I would go for the LG as the software has better reviews than Hisense. Is the £50 extra with John Lewis/Richer sounds worthy? In 20 years, i never had a problem with a TV, but only 1yr warranty with Hughes.

My current Samsung died at 5 years old, luckily I searched online and found it was a common problem and they were fixing it free of charge outside the normal warranty period - so they sent an engineer to fix it. They pulled the power board out and replaced it. The engineer kindly showed me where the capacitors had blown. A few years later the same happened again, Samsung were no longer offering the repair - so I took it apart and replaced the capacitors and it has worked ever since. A few months back though my son punched it whilst using the wii - This left a small black area of damage (approx 3cm wide by 1cm tall"). This is now slowly spreading it is now about 20cm wide and about 5cm tall. Hence the sudden need for a replacement.

Looking at the Philips though, I can't find it cheaper than £389 anywhere else, so it seems a good price and a 6 year warranty. The only thing that is stopping me buying the Philips is that there are a few bad reviews where people say the software is stupidly slow - taking minutes to register a button press. Others don't seem to have this problem though - so I'm a bit confused over that one.

I think my current order is:

LG - IPS and faster better software than the Philips - Google Assistant integration
Philips - ambilight is interesting. IPS sounds better for me too.
Hisense - but the 7500 not the 7100 that I linked to.
Samsung

The LG is £409 with 6 years warranty from Richer Sounds. I can find it for £399 but that doesn't state how much warranty so I presume 1 year. So for an extra tenner I'd say it was worth it for the warranty.
Callum32102/04/2020 12:22

Exactly the same position as you... I've been going round in circles for …Exactly the same position as you... I've been going round in circles for weeks. Nearly went for the ambilight but have decided to go for the Hisense H55B7500UK from JL @£379.00

I was going to suggest that as well, we have one and it's great. Has Wide Colour Gamut which most others this price don't and is recommended on AVForums over all the budget models by other brands.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 3rd Apr
I have the hisense H55B7500UK and it's superb. Amazing black level and the dolby vision is incredible. Brilliant user interface too and due an update to VIDAA 4 soon
dcx_badass03/04/2020 20:58

I was going to suggest that as well, we have one and it's great. Has Wide …I was going to suggest that as well, we have one and it's great. Has Wide Colour Gamut which most others this price don't and is recommended on AVForums over all the budget models by other brands.

Problem is the more I’m looking the more down the rabbit hole I end up. Feeling swayed towards the H55U7BUK for the extra £70 at JL... although it is available for £399.99 @ Costco. I’m not a member but anyone can sign up for £15. I also hear RicherSounds are price matching the Costco deal if you prove your membership so might be worth a phone call for the 6 year warranty 🏼
giboning01/04/2020 23:36

I'm also looking for a TV, but 43" or 49-50" max. After researching LG, …I'm also looking for a TV, but 43" or 49-50" max. After researching LG, Samsung, Philips and Hisense, I'm left to choose between LG UM7400 or Hisense 7500. I would go for the LG as the software has better reviews than Hisense. Is the £50 extra with John Lewis/Richer sounds worthy? In 20 years, i never had a problem with a TV, but only 1yr warranty with Hughes.

The 7500 has excellent software. I don't think the LG 7400 is a 4k TV (3k rgbw pixel structure)
For the money you won't get better than this & its relatively a high spec TV.
hotukdeals.com/dea…630
chocci04/04/2020 10:11

The 7500 has excellent software. I don't think the LG 7400 is a 4k TV (3k …The 7500 has excellent software. I don't think the LG 7400 is a 4k TV (3k rgbw pixel structure)

I just ordered 2 days ago the LG 7400 from RS. But from my research, the screen is the same between 7400 and 7500. 7500 was also £299 on ebay, but only 1yr of warranty.
giboning04/04/2020 11:06

I just ordered 2 days ago the LG 7400 from RS. But from my research, the …I just ordered 2 days ago the LG 7400 from RS. But from my research, the screen is the same between 7400 and 7500. 7500 was also £299 on ebay, but only 1yr of warranty.

We're comparing to the hisense 7500 which is much better than the LG's.
adamderak04/04/2020 10:13

For the money you won't get better than this & its relatively a high spec …For the money you won't get better than this & its relatively a high spec TV.https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/philips-ambilight-55pus820412-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-3427630

Thanks for posting this, it looks quite good. I started wondering if it was worth the extra. I then looked at the Philips website itself and the reviews (only 2) are terrible. So that has kind of put me off. On paper it looks to be everything I wanted. It is IPS, it links in with Google assistant, you can add apps through Google play. But the reviews make it out that it isn't very good at doing any of these things. Are the reviews nonsense?
nbuuifx05/04/2020 10:36

Thanks for posting this, it looks quite good. I started wondering if it …Thanks for posting this, it looks quite good. I started wondering if it was worth the extra. I then looked at the Philips website itself and the reviews (only 2) are terrible. So that has kind of put me off. On paper it looks to be everything I wanted. It is IPS, it links in with Google assistant, you can add apps through Google play. But the reviews make it out that it isn't very good at doing any of these things. Are the reviews nonsense?

The lower spec 6000 & 7000 series received some poor reviews but this is much better.
adamderak05/04/2020 10:42

The lower spec 6000 & 7000 series received some poor reviews but this is …The lower spec 6000 & 7000 series received some poor reviews but this is much better.

philips.co.uk/c-p…ded

It was these reviews on the manufacturers website which worried me. There are only two but Philips quite proudly guarantee that they are authentic!
adamderak05/04/2020 10:42

The lower spec 6000 & 7000 series received some poor reviews but this is …The lower spec 6000 & 7000 series received some poor reviews but this is much better.

Better reviews here...
google.com/sea…F-8plaji-i

But even the good ones in there mention the same problems.

Back light bleed
iPlayer and ITV hub don't work
Motion blur
Software glitches
Poor customer service
Iight bleed is pretty common around this price point.
I've hated all TV smart systems , a Roku or fire stick is far superior to any TV smart system.
It's a 50hz panel so probably not great for fast moving objects but not many. 120hz panel at this price point.
I'm back on to looking at this with the current 20% off deal on ebay.

The LG 55UM7400 is really tempting me. It looks to tick the most boxes.

The Hisense 7500 is the cheapest I've seen it though at £334. I've just read lots about it being fantastic or the money at showing HD content but due to poor upscaling the SD content looks terrible. I have a mix of HD and SD.

The LG doesn't seem to get that negative response. The LG seems to have some integration with Google Assistant too, although from reading, I'm not sure that any of them really offer what I want. Many seem to want to work as a Google home device, I don;t want that, I want the google home minis in the house to be able to control the TV. It isn't essential but we've got to the point where we barely use the remote at the moment (I have a broadcom unit which sends IR signals to the current TV). The google home mini is used to ask for content on Netflix, or on Kodi, or to switch the TV on and off / control the volume. We tend to use the remote when watching the freeview but that is it.

I still fancy an ambilight TV but can't see any great deals on those, and still worried about the poor reviews of the software.
I ended up that I quite fancied the ambilight but the reviews just killed it for me. It sounds like an unfinished product. It sounded like if get frustrated. I ended up going further and further up the models until reviews seemed ok. Then the price was too much to justify.

The hisense gets rave reviews but then there are plenty of people who found them to be terrible so with the current situation and not being able to go and see for myself, I chickened out of that one.

The LG was my final choice. The reviews were the best. I've had LG stuff before and that was always good. It was £10 more than the hisense. I paid £344 with free delivery (Monday). It looks like I might need to spend another £25 on the magic remote but will wait and see first. The OS seemed the best out of the three, the picture seems to get good reviews for the price too.

Only thing I didn't get was the long warranty, so will just have to cross my fingers!
Can u get a cheap warrenty anywhere?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions