Expired

Which Adhesive for Car Body Trim Above Back Door ?

Found 25th Jan 2014
The body trim (which runs all the way from back to front on a car ) above the car door ( back door ) has fallen off, i have tried super glue but it wont stay. Can anyone please suggest what adhesive will work ? So i can put it back above door on the car body.
Community Updates
AskCarDoor
12 Comments
I'm no expert at glueing things back on but epoxy resin is a safe bet when you need something to stay put. 2-part adhesive, available from most DIY/Hardware stores and I've also seen it in Poundland. If your car is something you really care about though, I'd phone my local dealership for your car model and pop the question to them. Most would be willing to suggest an answer.

Regards, Phsy.
GO to a proper car motor factors and ask them for the right glue
Dont try and use epoxy resin on the car it will ruin the paint
karenhornby

GO to a proper car motor factors and ask them for the right glueDont try … GO to a proper car motor factors and ask them for the right glueDont try and use epoxy resin on the car it will ruin the paint

Not sure why it would do that - Epoxy resin isn't a cyanoacrylate based glue. Just use it sparingly and not slop it all over the place. Oh well, it was just a suggestion. I've used it in the past to glue on decals etc. and it's fine.

I do also agree with karenhornby's suggestion of Motor Factor supplier. You just have to hope they are knowledgeable and not just 'guessing' to poke some obscure, expensive adhesive into you. That's why I'd rather ask an actual dealership. That way, you can fire some blame back at them if something is amiss upon using their recommendation.

How about "No More Nails" ???
Remove all old adhesive-if the trim had foam sticky pads, remove completely and buy some more double sided pads-this won't damage your paintwork. Make sure everything is thoroughly clean, as even the slightest dust will stop it from sticking. If that doesn't do it, use araldite-be warned-you will never be able to remove the trim again! (be careful sticking too-it may damage surrounding paintwork, so make sure you mask off well!)
Go to a Car shop and ask for Number plate adhesive pads thayre strong as hell and ive used them on trim before better than any double sided foam pads you get in any shop.
Tiger seal or evostick evo grip adhesive is what you need
I've used no nails type stuff before, Used masking tape to hold in place while it dries.
Worked for a car body shop for years we always used sikaflex for trim badges etc a decent motor factors will stock it
traceym

Worked for a car body shop for years we always used sikaflex for trim … Worked for a car body shop for years we always used sikaflex for trim badges etc a decent motor factors will stock it

This is a good product, but if you want to spend some money and that trim never fall off, go for something like This

Personally I wouldn't use epoxy, it doesn't stand well to the temperature changes we can get, and will end up breaking its contact, or you could try Sugru, you can buy that in B&Q or online, it's clever stuff and it takes about 24 hours to chemically bond, and boy does it bond!
Tiger Seal for my money..or Sycoflex
Thanks for all your input, I will pop down to local car body repair shop and get his advice or ask him to fix it. thanks
I would suggest use clear silicon
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants