Which adhesive tape for mobile repairs?

Posted 13th May
I need to replace the screen on my daughters iPhone 7. I've seen Zack (JerryRigEverything) on YouTube use a generic tape he uses when replacing screens and backs on devices. Which tape to people recommend for this?

I'd prefer to take this approach over buying pre-cut adhesive for just this job.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
I’ve been using 3M extremely strong double sided tape for electronics repairs, works well.
Whilst you've got it open, Might be a good idea to replace the battery if it's ready.
Personally I would recommend using the pre cut adhesive provided. The adhesive is purely for the water resistance. The home button flex cable should have enough residue on it to stick down to the new screen, same with the metal plate.

I wouldn't recommend changing the battery unless you notice it swelling, typically 3rd party batteries have terrible capacities in comparison to the original.

Experience based on an owner of a tech repairs company.

FYI we do used to use 3m black double sided tape, but found that nowadays the pre cut out tape work just as well, also its very difficult to cut the thin pieces around the inner bezel.
Jay9114/05/2020 02:22

Personally I would recommend using the pre cut adhesive provided. The …Personally I would recommend using the pre cut adhesive provided. The adhesive is purely for the water resistance.

Could the screen be replaced without adhesive if I'm not too bothered about water resistance?
What are you using the adhesive for?
SYA14/05/2020 12:06

What are you using the adhesive for?

To secure the screen as the original has adhesive. But if I don’t require it, I’ll not bother. I don’t trust waterproofing anyways.
You don't require it, but I still recommend it as it barely costs a couple of pounds
Jay9114/05/2020 02:22

Personally I would recommend using the pre cut adhesive provided. The …Personally I would recommend using the pre cut adhesive provided. The adhesive is purely for the water resistance. The home button flex cable should have enough residue on it to stick down to the new screen, same with the metal plate.I wouldn't recommend changing the battery unless you notice it swelling, typically 3rd party batteries have terrible capacities in comparison to the original.Experience based on an owner of a tech repairs company.FYI we do used to use 3m black double sided tape, but found that nowadays the pre cut out tape work just as well, also its very difficult to cut the thin pieces around the inner bezel.

Whilst there are a lot of crap replacement batteries on the market, The ones from Replacebase are decent and I've had zero issues with them.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 14th May
I would get the pre cut ones for the screen, as they act as a seal not just for water but also for other dirt and grime etc. Ive seen phones that didn't have the seal that have become so mucky inside over time.
.MUFC.14/05/2020 16:57

Whilst there are a lot of crap replacement batteries on the market, The …Whilst there are a lot of crap replacement batteries on the market, The ones from Replacebase are decent and I've had zero issues with them.

Hmm I would say that's debatable, I use them quite regularly as a source of stock which I may not have in for clients, and in my experience, 50% of the time I get terrible quality parts, but this is in relation to iPhone parts. For mac parts ive never had any problems.
Jay9118/05/2020 02:03

Hmm I would say that's debatable, I use them quite regularly as a source …Hmm I would say that's debatable, I use them quite regularly as a source of stock which I may not have in for clients, and in my experience, 50% of the time I get terrible quality parts, but this is in relation to iPhone parts. For mac parts ive never had any problems.

Tbh I've only replaced batteries that have needed replacing, i,e when they've got to 79% on the battery health, constantly restarting and have various other battery issues etc.. Batteries from them definitely for me seem reliable and work ok. Can't speak for there other parts as I tend to get LCD's from Amazon as they really are a minefield, It's easy to return etc.. Even if the capacities aren't as good as original it's still likely that they'll perform much better than depleted original ones etc.. Yes from other sources I've had some terrible batteries over the years but Replacebase ones seem spot on.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions