Groups

Which all in one printer should I buy for uni?

I'm currently in need of an all in one printer for all my assignments, homework etc.
    I will be printing around 15 sheets a day, so therefore I would want cheap cartridges to go with it. (I have had a HP printer, and it was about £20 for colour ink!)

So I have been looking on the threads and have come across a couple of printers
    Canon MP272 - £40 at PC World
    Canon MP190 - £25 at Tesco

They seem to be CISS compatible, but I have never used this feature so I wouldn't know if this is significantly better etc.

My budget would be around £80, depending on how cheap the cartridges are.

Would someone be kind enough to find me any other printers I may prefer / advice me on the above?
    Thanks guys!

7 Comments

If you don't need colour, get a laser printer. If you do need colour get both an all in one colour inkjet and plain black & white laser printer, you will pay yourself silly on ink otherwise.

If you look around eBay you will be able to pick up an old HP Laserjet 2100/2200/2300 for about £40. 6000 pages 3rd party/refurbished toner cartridge should cost
    Beats any inkjet hands down and much cheaper to run than the budget laser printers that PC World etc. sell.

CISS is something used mostly on photo printers (where multiple colours are in high demand), but I see no reason why that wouldn't work for text printing as well. I still think that Laser is the way to go so.

Always buy a new printer; just in case it breaks down and then you will have the warranty to cover it.

i would reccommend:
    Canon MP480 Printer, Scanner and Copier. - £48.94 ARGOS

But if i were you i would increase the amount you spend on the actual printer; there is normally a trend; the higher the printer price the lower the ink price, and the lower the printer price the higher the ink price.

i printer ive reccomended above is reasonable, lots of good reviews, and you can get a complete set of ink carts for £20 on ebay, as suppose to the printers youve listed above; in which case you would be paying £20 just for 1 cart.

i spent £65-70 on a canon ip3000 2 years ago, it works fine even now and i dont ever worry about the cost of ink; as i only pay £5 for a complete set of carts from ebay.

hope this helps

Original Poster

Thanks for both the replies, repped for the help!
    I agree that it would probably be better to buy a new printer, but generally how much more are the laser printers for cartidges and printer compared to the inkjets recommended above.
    If i'm printing about 15 / 20pages would an all in one be cost efficient?
    Sorry for all the questions, just got to make sure I get the right one and hope it lasts for 3 years!

avoid PC World like the plague mate, seriously do not shop with them, they will offer you their 'extended warantee' and its a bunch of..... if your going to get a cheap one that you want to last 3 years for uni, just get a cheap one either online or from Argos, best way for you to go IMO mate HTH

i just use my uni library printer, 5p for a sheet front and back, i worked it out, its cheaper than buying a printer and all the ink i would need

Original Poster

danny09;6706878

avoid PC World like the plague mate, seriously do not shop with them, … avoid PC World like the plague mate, seriously do not shop with them, they will offer you their 'extended warantee' and its a bunch of..... if your going to get a cheap one that you want to last 3 years for uni, just get a cheap one either online or from Argos, best way for you to go IMO mate HTH

Yeah, I was trying to avoid them, but they seemed the cheapest place for one of the Canon printers!

micoo;6706941

i just use my uni library printer, 5p for a sheet front and back, i … i just use my uni library printer, 5p for a sheet front and back, i worked it out, its cheaper than buying a printer and all the ink i would need

Sounds like a good idea, I know it is 5p for a print, do you think it would be the same price for both sides?

Repped you both, thanks!

Here we go...

Canon MP480
    up to 450pages (b&w) on high cap cartridge, costs ~ £8 each (couldn't find a 3rd party one, so simply halfed the price of a genuine Canon cartridge).
    [COLOR=Red] 1.78pence per page[/COLOR] /[COLOR=Red] 2.7pence per page when you buy genuine (twin pack)[/COLOR]

Samsung ML 2240
    up to 3000pages (b&w) on an overfilled 3rd party cartridge, which costs £34.95 deliverd.
    [COLOR=Red] 1.16pence per page.[/COLOR]

Epson EPL-6200L
    up to 7000pages on a high capacity 3rd party cartridge, which costs ~ £26.25 deliverd.
    [COLOR=Red] 0.38pence per page[/COLOR]

HP Laserjet 2100/2200 Series
    up to 5000pages on a high capacity 3rd party cartridge, which costs £15 deliverd.
    [COLOR=Red]0.3pence per page[/COLOR]

HP Laserjet 4000 Series
    up to 10000pages on a high capacity 3rd party cartridge, which costs ~ £20 deliverd (I actually picked up a sealed Viking branded one for £15 last time).
    [COLOR=Red] 0.2pence per page[/COLOR]

Lets be clear, the MP480 has a very good price per page cost, for an inkjet (this assumes that you can get a 3rd party ink cartridge for it/refill the original). Most inkjet printers are 3-4pence per page, more if you buy genuine ink cartridges.

It's also worth noting that the drum kits for the old HP Laserjet 4000/2100/2200 are much cheaper to buy, than for current laser printer models (needs to replaced every 4-5 toner cartridges, more often on cheap laser printers).
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains1211
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…55
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44

See more discussions