Found 23rd Jun 2010
Need to redo the silicone seal around the bath and was wandering which one to buy and where from??? Is there a difference between the £3.99 b&q own brand silicone seal and the £7.99 unibond one?

Thanks

1. Misc
  2. Bathroom
10 Comments

Banned

no, but you will need a tool to shape and smooth it

7.99 a tube is robbery!

or buy at toolstation, prices much lower, only 10 quid order needed for free delivery

toolstation.com/sho…390

1.94 a tube

go acrylic, use your finger (that's what she said).

jubbyme;8900768

no, but you will need a tool to shape and smooth it7.99 a tube is … no, but you will need a tool to shape and smooth it7.99 a tube is robbery!or buy at toolstation, prices much lower, only 10 quid order needed for free deliveryhttp://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhesives+Sealants/Sealants/Toolstation+Sanitary+Sealant+310ml+Clear/d180/sd2350/p123901.94 a tube

Tool? I have never used a tool to shape it I always use my finger! just dip your finger tip into some washing up liquid to stop the sealant sticking to it wipe every so often then repeat, much more control that way.

Banned

harlzter;8900801

Tool? I have never used a tool to shape it I always use my finger! just … Tool? I have never used a tool to shape it I always use my finger! just dip your finger tip into some washing up liquid to stop the sealant sticking to it wipe every so often then repeat, much more control that way.

and smear it all over the place, pushing it down and making it uneven, silicon is a pain, acrylic is easier but not so flexible for baths

LOL @ toolstations "Sanitary Sealant" label, it sounds like something our lass would use on her monthly's!

there a big difference in quality go ahead and use the cheap on youl be redoing it again in a couple of years and removing it to redo is a nightmare

jubbyme;8900806

and smear it all over the place, pushing it down and making it uneven, … and smear it all over the place, pushing it down and making it uneven, silicon is a pain, acrylic is easier but not so flexible for baths

No, just a nice even finish, its all about control, amazing what you can do with your fingers in the bathroom:whistling:

harlzter;8900821

No, just a nice even finish, its all about control, amazing what you can … No, just a nice even finish, its all about control, amazing what you can do with your fingers in the bathroom:whistling:

(that's what she said)

Just to add..my husband is a Professional Tiler and he says:
"You can use any silicone provided it is high modulus which means that it will have very good anti fungal and anti mould characteristics.. i.e it is hygienic. Dow Corning is very good. Or Everbuild Forever White @ £3/£4 per tube available from most builders merchants. The Everbuild comes with a 10 year guarantee against mould. To get a professional finish Google a product called Corner Tape and remove all traces of original silicone prior to applying new and remember to fill the bath 3/4 full prior to application and leave for 24hours before emptying so as not to damage silcone seal... and good luck!"

Banned

Sheena0104;8901879

Just to add..my husband is a Professional Tiler and he says:"You can use … Just to add..my husband is a Professional Tiler and he says:"You can use any silicone provided it is high modulus which means that it will have very good anti fungal and anti mould characteristics.. i.e it is hygienic. Dow Corning is very good. Or Everbuild Forever White @ £3/£4 per tube available from most builders merchants. The Everbuild comes with a 10 year guarantee against mould. To get a professional finish Google a product called Corner Tape and remove all traces of original silicone prior to applying new and remember to fill the bath 3/4 full prior to application and leave for 24hours before emptying so as not to damage silcone seal... and good luck!"

great advice! Get the best one you can afford otherwise you'll be replacing it every few years. Takes a lot longer to get on than get off too!

and the only tool you'll need is one finger!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Show us your Photos 2017. October's Theme - 'Anything'32486
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247615
    3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604803
    4. Free sweet Sunday’s code11

See more discussions