Which bike for a fairly new rider

Posted 15th May
Hi guys,

Hoping to get some advice, I'm after a new bike for commuting and have come across the following that seem to suit my needs, I'm wondering which of these is most ideal for mainly roads but some off road too? (Open to other suggestions as well)

blacks.co.uk/men…tml

evanscycles.com/tre…589

I am looking for something that will last a few years with regular maintenance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
If you are fairly new rider I'd get a bike with flat handlebars like the Trek.
Most branded bikes will be ok.
Personally I found disc brakes to be a faff, needing adjusting and making annoying noises etc.

Age, weight, fitness, terrain , distance to work etc all play a part in the decision.
Also, are you planning on riding in bad weather etc? If so you may prefer being more upright and on wider tyres.
If you are going a long way or want to ride faster you will probably want thinner tyres etc. If it is very flat you may be happy with a single speed fixie bike so you have less maintenance and weight.

Can you provide more details about you and your ride to work?
smashed15/05/2020 14:50

Most branded bikes will be ok.Personally I found disc brakes to be a faff, …Most branded bikes will be ok.Personally I found disc brakes to be a faff, needing adjusting and making annoying noises etc.Age, weight, fitness, terrain , distance to work etc all play a part in the decision.Also, are you planning on riding in bad weather etc? If so you may prefer being more upright and on wider tyres.If you are going a long way or want to ride faster you will probably want thinner tyres etc. If it is very flat you may be happy with a single speed fixie bike so you have less maintenance and weight.Can you provide more details about you and your ride to work?

Hi Smashed, thanks for your reply.

I'm in fairly good shape, exercise a few times a week and a good weight for me height (6ft) so cycling 'shouldn't' be too difficult I'd hope. Most of my commute will be road but some canal paths and gravel paths, about 4.5 miles each way. Will be using the cycle all year round as I don't want to be using public transport and my office doesn't have any good parking close by.
Can you lock it somewhere safe (and leave your lock there?). A shiny new expensive looking bike may be gone in a flash if not.

I started cycling on a road bike and then got into it and upgraded the bike.
As with anything, you can definitely get yourself a better bike for the same money nearly new if you shop around but covid makes that hard right now.

Are you planning on carrying lots of things (e.g. laptop / towel / clothes etc). You will want the bike to have mounts for panniers if you prefer that route (scrap if you know you will prefer a backpack.
Of your two suggestions, one has road bars and the other is flat bar. Have you ridden with road bars before? You can ride a bit quicker but it may make your arms / back ache at first if you are not particularly flexible and you may feel a bit less in control. You are also generally less aware if leaning down instead of sitting more upright.
Plenty of CX (cyclocross) / gravel bikes have dual brakes (e.g on the handle bar as well as the drops of a road bike style) which helps if you want to sit upright for a while. Else you will want to be on the drops (lower part of handlebar) on the road bike if in traffic which can be annoying if you are commuting in a busy area (cars or pedestrians).
Gears : I personally advise on a double (2 chains at front) instead of a triple as it saves you switching the front chainring so often which in turn makes you switch the rears all the way back down.
My personal preference for tyre width is probably 28mm but if you are going across gravel paths etc then you may want a bike with say 35,,..e.g. road.cc/con…ing
Do you want to sit upright or not really? Each bike will have different geometry and even then sizings are often measured differently for different brands which could cause issues. The wrong size bike will really ruin your experience. e.g. bike types: road.cc/con…749

You don't need to spend much to enjoy cycling though to be honest.

Probably best to have a look at bike types etc and decide what may suit you before trying to find one at a great price.
The calibre was pretty hot on here when it was £400 recent and top cash back 10% can be added... So I would say purchase it
Edited by: "D3LL80Y" 15th May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions