Which body thermometer is best?

Found 14th Feb
Hi

I’m looking for a decent thermometer that is accurate. I’ve tried the ear one before and it was very easy to use but broke after a yr or so. I’ve read about the type you use under your armpit but they don’t seem accurate.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Thanks.
Community Updates
AskHealth & Beauty
15 Comments
mothercare.com/the…tml

Ive been using the same forehead thermometer strip for 22 years , it came free with a baby magazine when my daughter was born, so I can't link you to the exact one ! However it's very similar to the one above . Hold it on your forehead for 15 seconds and the temperature shows up clearly, do it in front of a mirror for ease if it's for yourself . Really simple and fairly indestructible and no need for batteries .
tinkerbellian1 h, 45 m ago

https://www.mothercare.com/thermometers/mothercare-forehead-thermometer-strips/555305.htmlIve been using the same forehead thermometer strip for 22 years , it came free with a baby magazine when my daughter was born, so I can't link you to the exact one ! However it's very similar to the one above . Hold it on your forehead for 15 seconds and the temperature shows up clearly, do it in front of a mirror for ease if it's for yourself . Really simple and fairly indestructible and no need for batteries .

this is the worst way to check the temperature and most inaccurate.
Strip thermometers check skin temperature (just think how this could affect the results). Only core temperature will be accurate representation of any issues

Source: nhs.uk/chq…=72
mattsk15 m ago

this is the worst way to check the temperature and most inaccurate.Strip …this is the worst way to check the temperature and most inaccurate.Strip thermometers check skin temperature (just think how this could affect the results). Only core temperature will be accurate representation of any issuesSource: https://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1065.aspx?categoryid=72

Ah , I stand corrected , as I say we have been using ours for the last 22 years , they were recommended by the health visitor after we had our first baby ,but recommendations have obviously changed in that time and I've just merrily carried on with our old one . Hopefully someone will put a link on to a good one .
Braun thermometers are very good. Braun makes a lot of this sort of stuff for the NHS .
The issue is ideally you need the covers for the sensor which are single use (or use without and clean )
+1 for a Braun thermoscan thermometer. I have one which has been faultless for nearly 10 years now and every doctor we have visited uses one.
There are slight variances depending on which part of the body you use but a rectal reading is apparently the most accurate.

saidsupport.org/wha…st/
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 14th Feb
My daughter currently has a fever and the Braun Thermoscan is quite accurate. The doctors in my surgery use the same brand. I once had a Vicks digital one you place behind the ear and it was very inaccurate. The underarm one we used to also use wasn’t too bad but my daughter hated it as did most of the children in nurseries I have worked in.
I meant to mention the Tommee Tippee digital ear thermometer, I also found that terrible. It would give so many different readings, glad I only paid a fiver for that when it was on clearance.
tinkerbellian14th Feb

Ah , I stand corrected , as I say we have been using ours for the last 22 …Ah , I stand corrected , as I say we have been using ours for the last 22 years , they were recommended by the health visitor after we had our first baby ,but recommendations have obviously changed in that time and I've just merrily carried on with our old one . Hopefully someone will put a link on to a good one .

You know it’s easily done as shops like Mothercare sell items that are not always recommended. Such as cot bumpers. I don’t understand why they sell them if it’s is not recommended.
MiniMissyMoo23 h, 16 m ago

My daughter currently has a fever and the Braun Thermoscan is quite …My daughter currently has a fever and the Braun Thermoscan is quite accurate. The doctors in my surgery use the same brand. I once had a Vicks digital one you place behind the ear and it was very inaccurate. The underarm one we used to also use wasn’t too bad but my daughter hated it as did most of the children in nurseries I have worked in.

Which model do you have please? I just looked on amazon and they go to model 7!
sumz015 m ago

Which model do you have please? I just looked on amazon and they go to …Which model do you have please? I just looked on amazon and they go to model 7!

Hi, it’s the Thermoscan 5 (model 6020) I’m guessing the 7 is more up to date and although they look different I’m not quite sure what the differences actually are. I got lucky and found it reduced in Tesco one time so if you happen to be in a supermarket have a look there in case they are cheaper.
I just looked an it appears the 7 has age precision. I don’t know how much better if it all it makes the 7 compared to the 5 but I just seen that it’s currently £32.99 on Amazon right now so much cheaper than Boots.
MiniMissyMoo1 h, 49 m ago

I just looked an it appears the 7 has age precision. I don’t know how much …I just looked an it appears the 7 has age precision. I don’t know how much better if it all it makes the 7 compared to the 5 but I just seen that it’s currently £32.99 on Amazon right now so much cheaper than Boots.

Yes I saw it too on amazon does £32 Mark seem about right for that type? I hope it lasts longer than my last one. It was a ear Braun one too but it just decided to start giving incorrect readings after a year. It was amazing especially when you just want to take a quick reading when you child is ill.
sumz0111 m ago

Yes I saw it too on amazon does £32 Mark seem about right for that type? I …Yes I saw it too on amazon does £32 Mark seem about right for that type? I hope it lasts longer than my last one. It was a ear Braun one too but it just decided to start giving incorrect readings after a year. It was amazing especially when you just want to take a quick reading when you child is ill.

I’ve had mine for around 2 years and it’s been ok although not used all that much. Have you tried contacting Braun? They really should last more than a year. Perhaps they’ll offer to help you out, you never know.
Thanks. I think I’ll look into getting one. Thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants