Which boiler system should I go for

Posted 1st Mar
hi there I was planning on keeping the system boiler in place but seen as it has been nicked the tank is still available too me and some of the Plumbing. I am not too sure if I should just remove it and put a conbi system Instead. the reason I wanted too keep a system boiler was the distance between the bathroom / kitchen is around 20meters aways and middle floor toilet room is around 10 meters from the kitchen.

so I thought the system boiler is best option as I won't need too keep taps open for really long time too get hot water too the taps.

but then someone has said with system boiler the pressure at the taps is really low so it will be bad idea if I wanted too put any showers in any help or advice on what would be best.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Pablo14801/03/2020 19:37

Combi boiler every time for me, put a good Worcester in and forget about …Combi boiler every time for me, put a good Worcester in and forget about it for ten years.good luck

Thats bad advice, what if the OP had multiple bathrooms? A combi wont let two people shower at once if you have a mains shower. I replaced my system boiler with another system boiler as having 3 women in the house mornings has a high demand!

If you just have one bathroom a combi would be a good choice.

Here is a webpage that explains it quite well myboilerservice.com/typ…ler
Edited by: "jb66" 1st Mar
27 Comments
Combi boiler every time for me, put a good Worcester in and forget about it for ten years.good luck

Combi boiler every time for me, put a good Worcester in and forget about …Combi boiler every time for me, put a good Worcester in and forget about it for ten years.good luck

Will it be ok if the bathroom and kitchen are 20 meters apart. The boiler would need too be put about 4 meters from bathroom and 16 m from the kitchen if that makes sense.
Edited by: "MynameisM" 1st Mar
MynameisM01/03/2020 19:53

Will it be ok if the bathroom and kitchen and 20 meters apart. The boiler … Will it be ok if the bathroom and kitchen and 20 meters apart. The boiler would need too be put about 4 meters from bathroom and 16 m errors from kitchen if that makes sense.

I've never had any issues ,get a good quality boiler you will benefit in the long run
One of our bathrooms is almost 20M from the combi boiler and the time it takes to get hot water doesn't seem excessive. All the hot water is at mains pressure too, great for showers. We have an Ideal boiler that has a 10 year warranty.
combination boiler will give good pressure to a shower. it is expensive to replace a system boiler setup with a combination boiler but it is worth it. we replaced the system boiler with a combination boiler when we bought our house just over a year ago. it was the first thing we did before we moved in.
Id recommend Vailliant, good boilers.

Thats bad advice, what if the OP had multiple bathrooms? A combi wont let two people shower at once if you have a mains shower. I replaced my system boiler with another system boiler as having 3 women in the house mornings has a high demand!

If you just have one bathroom a combi would be a good choice.

Here is a webpage that explains it quite well myboilerservice.com/typ…ler
Edited by: "jb66" 1st Mar
"someone has said with system boiler the pressure at the taps is really low so it will be bad idea"

Who said that? A heating engineer or just a mate? it seems to me that most people do not not what a system boiler actually is. They are quite rare in cities & towns & are mostly found in the sticks to increase performance in big buildings.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 1st Mar
jb6601/03/2020 21:12

Thats bad advice, what if the OP had multiple bathrooms? A combi wont let …Thats bad advice, what if the OP had multiple bathrooms? A combi wont let two people shower at once if you have a mains shower. I replaced my system boiler with another system boiler as having 3 women in the house mornings has a high demand!If you just have one bathroom a combi would be a good choice.Here is a webpage that explains it quite well https://www.myboilerservice.com/types-of-boiler

That's what I am confused/concerned about, the property will have 1 bathroom with a bath shower in it downstairs/ then another shower room on middle of stairs a unsual place not on first floor I know but that's where it will be and a kitchen on ground floor possibly another shower room downstairs at some point.

I am just confused as a few people whom have had showers put in on a system boiler don't get much pressure on the showers will I need buy dedicated shower pumps I would rather not get these or have they just fitted the wrong type of showers.

I am familiar with a combination boiler as that's currently at our existing house but the issue u find is if the flow rate isnt enough in the bathroom the hot water switches off and water goes cold that only about 5 meters from the boiler and it takes a good 2 mins for hot water too come at The tap again when you turn it up higher.

So if in the new property the kitchen being 15 meters away if that happens I would think it will probably at alot longer for the water too get hot at the tap again this will be very annoying and waste of water.
If you have 3 bathrooms that could be used at the same time you could get a combi but you would need to make sure your showers are electric.

I have a unvented cylinder in the cupboard on 2nd floor and we can run both showers at same time with full pressure
Willy_Wonka01/03/2020 21:20

"someone has said with system boiler the pressure at the taps is really …"someone has said with system boiler the pressure at the taps is really low so it will be bad idea"Who said that? A heating engineer or just a mate? it seems to me that most people do not not what a system boiler actually is. They are quite rare in cities & towns & are mostly found in the sticks to increase performance in big buildings.

Not a heating engineer but someone who was asked too fit a shower for a person who had a system boiler in place. So after finishing the job they were saying you have fitted it incorrectly or the shower is faulty but the pressure is lower on showers fitted too a traditional system boiler without a pump is that not correct. I am not talking about the pressured water tanks just the old style ones.

Thats bad advice, what if the OP had multiple bathrooms? A combi wont let …Thats bad advice, what if the OP had multiple bathrooms? A combi wont let two people shower at once if you have a mains shower. I replaced my system boiler with another system boiler as having 3 women in the house mornings has a high demand!If you just have one bathroom a combi would be a good choice.Here is a webpage that explains it quite well https://www.myboilerservice.com/types-of-boiler

I was quoting on average usage,I had a downstairs shower room & upstairs bathroom never a problem on a Combi that's with 3kids too!
jb6601/03/2020 21:24

If you have 3 bathrooms that could be used at the same time you could get …If you have 3 bathrooms that could be used at the same time you could get a combi but you would need to make sure your showers are electric.I have a unvented cylinder in the cupboard on 2nd floor and we can run both showers at same time with full pressure

Is this a pressured tank or the regular one that is supplied from a cold water tank.
We replaced our system boiler with a worcester bosch boilee last year. Only regret was we hadn't done it years before. Improved water pressure and instant warm water well worth it in the long run
MynameisM01/03/2020 21:37

Not a heating engineer but someone who was asked too fit a shower for a …Not a heating engineer but someone who was asked too fit a shower for a person who had a system boiler in place.

To do any work on a system boiler setup (called an unvented system) you need to have passed an "unvented" exam which is on top of all the gas safe qualifications you need. Most people do not do this extra qualification because the numbers of system boilers are rarer.

The person who installed the shower must have installed an electric shower (which you can install on its own without interfering with the system boiler) & the only reason they suggested to take the system boiler out is because legally they cannot work on it.

I would not trust their advice.
MynameisM01/03/2020 21:38

Is this a pressured tank or the regular one that is supplied from a cold …Is this a pressured tank or the regular one that is supplied from a cold water tank.

A system boiler has a pressurised cylinder & the problem you have with this thread is there are only 2 people commenting that know what a system boiler is. They are mistaken in thinking a system boiler is a normal boiler & cylinder which is in every other house. It is not. jb66 knows what they are talking about.
Willy_Wonka01/03/2020 21:47

To do any work on a system boiler setup (called an unvented system) you …To do any work on a system boiler setup (called an unvented system) you need to have passed an "unvented" exam which is on top of all the gas safe qualifications you need. Most people do not do this extra qualification because the numbers of system boilers are rarer. The person who installed the shower must have installed an electric shower (which you can install on its own without interfering with the system boiler) & the only reason they suggested to take the system boiler out is because legally they cannot work on it. I would not trust their advice.

No I think. I am getting you confused. It wasn't a unvented system and in my property I basically had a 15kwh glow warm system boiler connected to a old style copper tank and a small cold water tank in loft, someone has nicked the boiler and I. Know considering either too get a replacement boiler and keep the same tanks or get rid of the tanks and out a combination boiler in.

The unvented system boilers I am not too familiar with them other than I know the cost of the tank alone is quite alot and fitting it is expensive.

For a replacement boiler or a combination boiler I can get it fitted for around about £400-600. The boiler will cost around £100-250 if I get a used one .

But for the unvented one I really have no idea I think just the tank and fitting alone will be between £1000-1500 plus will I need a different type of boiler or not.
ssc101/03/2020 20:39

Id recommend Vailliant, good boilers.

Which one a system or combination. They do them both.
MynameisM01/03/2020 21:57

Which one a system or combination. They do them both.

Combi but whichever work for you.
Willy_Wonka01/03/2020 21:53

A system boiler has a pressurised cylinder & the problem you have with …A system boiler has a pressurised cylinder & the problem you have with this thread is there are only 2 people commenting that know what a system boiler is. They are mistaken in thinking a system boiler is a normal boiler & cylinder which is in every other house. It is not. jb66 knows what they are talking about.

Ok thanks, I have probably got people more confused then because . I thought the one older style boilers with a tank were called a system boiler and one without tanks was called a combi which just gives hot water in demand and heating. I didn't mention the 3 one the system boiler as that is probably too expensive too get put in and I am wondering how long that would last do they have too use a different type of boiler or is it the same as a regular non combi boiler .
MynameisM01/03/2020 22:07

Ok thanks, I have probably got people more confused then because . I …Ok thanks, I have probably got people more confused then because . I thought the one older style boilers with a tank were called a system boiler and one without tanks was called a combi which just gives hot water in demand and heating. I didn't mention the 3 one the system boiler as that is probably too expensive too get put in and I am wondering how long that would last do they have too use a different type of boiler or is it the same as a regular non combi boiler .

OK. Best of luck sorting it out. If I were you I would get 3 professionals out to give you advise with a bit of future proofing.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 1st Mar
Would recommend Baxi. It's been a work horse.
Had to get an engineer out to fix/service a non-combi worcester boiler at one of my new rentals. His advise would get a regular service for that manufacturer, every 5 years.
Contrary to what ppl are saying, my experience has not been good with a combi.
I regret changing from system to combi , it’s true I get slightly more pressure but when having a shower and someone turns the tap on anywhere it’s like a big drop in temperature.

I have also found that on the shower and taps it is much harder to get it just right on the temperature.

Oh how I’d love to have my system setup back again.

I have a Viessmann boiler , highly recommended ....read up on it
MynameisM01/03/2020 22:07

Ok thanks, I have probably got people more confused then because . I …Ok thanks, I have probably got people more confused then because . I thought the one older style boilers with a tank were called a system boiler and one without tanks was called a combi which just gives hot water in demand and heating. I didn't mention the 3 one the system boiler as that is probably too expensive too get put in and I am wondering how long that would last do they have too use a different type of boiler or is it the same as a regular non combi boiler .

Same here mate (combi and system), I don’t profess to being an expert at all I’ve only given my opinion in my situation.
Edited by: "Joey.Bloggsy" 2nd Mar

We have two bathrooms and often both showers run at the same time. The pressure drops a little but both work from the combi. You need a proper heating engineer to survey your system and advise on what is suitable for your home.
Joey.Bloggsy02/03/2020 00:04

Contrary to what ppl are saying, my experience has not been good with a …Contrary to what ppl are saying, my experience has not been good with a combi.I regret changing from system to combi , it’s true I get slightly more pressure but when having a shower and someone turns the tap on anywhere it’s like a big drop in temperature.I have also found that on the shower and taps it is much harder to get it just right on the temperature.Oh how I’d love to have my system setup back again.I have a Viessmann boiler , highly recommended ....read up on it

You need a thermostatic shower , pressure will drop a little if others use hot water at the same time but temperature stays the same. Also you need the correct wattage (or BTU) boiler for your house size / demand.
Like jb66 is saying (how much impact will be related to how much water pressure you have) and even following jb66 have seen one needing not just electric but a header tank for those two electric showers (top of a valley on a 3 story house with 3 bathrooms)

Another option is the Viesmann Vitodens combo which has its own built in cylinder and ups the pressure.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants