Which budget android phone?

Found 31st Dec 2017
Need some advice, I'm after an android phone to use as a music player basically, had an iPod touch, which bit the dust so swiped my Auntys old Moto E which has done the job fine but given it's age it's so slow it's unusable. Even after I've rooted and flashed it with an ultra lean rom it's still slow as.

So, I want an android phone for the sole purpose of playing music. Spotify, amazon and my ow music collection on an SD card.

Looking for at least android 7, headphone jack, more ram the better but 2gig at a minimum, minimum 16gb storage.

My budget is £100

Don't mind ordering from gearbest etc

Any suggestions?
Community Updates
AskElectronicsPhones
30 Comments
deleted912245
Depends on your budget to be fair.
Do you need it as a phone as well?
Splice6 m ago

Do you need it as a phone as well?

No. Although it’s handle to have a backup in case of emergencies or if someone’s phone breaks etc. But it’s not essential. I wouldn’t mind a 7” tablet either.

Must havr wifi for Spotify though (and obviously the ability to run Spotify).
Something like this should do it
item41ca45169d:m:m9SYrNmCU7g2r87C1LbCnZA
Splice35 m ago

Something like this should do it item41ca45169d:m:m9SYrNmCU7g2r87C1LbCnZA

Thanks but I'd like 2gb ram minimum.
This ?

m.ebay.co.uk/itm…760?epid=2185571326&hash=item5d65ef8dd8:m:moEJUuVMQoqLqs47V3pSRtg
Grab one of the Xiaomi phones when they pop up on here, quite highly regarded especially for the price. Think there's the Redmi 5 or the Note 4 for just under £120 when they have deals on (which seems to be pretty regular, think the Note 4 is on at the minute) or there's a few others if you prefer to stick under £100
deleted912245
currys.co.uk/gbu…tml?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=xwlqwtawiw&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~0061 (PLA) MOBILE PHONES~0061 (PLA) MOBILE PHONES ad group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=m&ds_kids=92700029158891347&PLA=1&tgtid=0061 (PLA) MOBILE PHONES&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIguPAhcm12AIVh7ftCh2A3wojEAQYByABEgKbgvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds sounds like the Samsung j3 would be perfect 8mp camera 2gb ram Amoled screen, perfect I say, I have the S8 it's a brilliant phone, if the Samsung j3 runs on android 7 then its an absolutely bargain. Link is for Curry's will
get it cheaper elsewhere though.
Splice22 m ago

This ? …This ? https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/3GB-RAM-5-0-Cubot-Magic-HD-4G-Smartphone-Android-7-0-Quad-Core-Dual-SIM-13MP/401142156760?epid=2185571326&hash=item5d65ef8dd8:m:moEJUuVMQoqLqs47V3pSRtg

Thanks, will check that out
hasan695812 m ago

Grab one of the Xiaomi phones when they pop up on here, quite highly …Grab one of the Xiaomi phones when they pop up on here, quite highly regarded especially for the price. Think there's the Redmi 5 or the Note 4 for just under £120 when they have deals on (which seems to be pretty regular, think the Note 4 is on at the minute) or there's a few others if you prefer to stick under £100

I don't mind spending a bit more, just not a lot more
deleted912245
deleted9122451st Jan

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/phones-broadband-and-sat-nav/mobile-phones-and-accessories/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-j3-8-gb-sim-free-black-10149142-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=xwlqwtawiw&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~0061 (PLA) MOBILE PHONES~0061 (PLA) MOBILE PHONES ad group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=m&ds_kids=92700029158891347&PLA=1&tgtid=0061 (PLA) MOBILE PHONES&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIguPAhcm12AIVh7ftCh2A3wojEAQYByABEgKbgvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds sounds like the Samsung j3 would be perfect 8mp camera 2gb ram Amoled screen, perfect I say, I have the S8 it's a brilliant phone, if the Samsung j3 runs on android 7 then its an absolutely bargain. Link is for Curry's will get it cheaper elsewhere though.

Expandable up to 128gb to so storage will be no problem. Seems like a really decent budget phone. (Although I know you want a music player)
deleted9122451st Jan

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/phones-broadband-and-sat-nav/mobile-phones-and-accessories/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-j3-8-gb-sim-free-black-10149142-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=xwlqwtawiw&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~0061 (PLA) MOBILE PHONES~0061 (PLA) MOBILE PHONES ad group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=m&ds_kids=92700029158891347&PLA=1&tgtid=0061 (PLA) MOBILE PHONES&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIguPAhcm12AIVh7ftCh2A3wojEAQYByABEgKbgvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds sounds like the Samsung j3 would be perfect 8mp camera 2gb ram Amoled screen, perfect I say, I have the S8 it's a brilliant phone, if the Samsung j3 runs on android 7 then its an absolutely bargain. Link is for Curry's will get it cheaper elsewhere though.

Thanks but I should have said anything but samsung, I had a samsung tablet earlier this year, it had a known issue and samsung customer care couldn't have been less interested, they told me several times they didn't know if, or when a fix would be released. I binned mine but a friend kept his, a year later and they still haven't fixed it. I'll never give samsung a penny again.
deleted912245
Wotan8 h, 50 m ago

Thanks but I should have said anything but samsung, I had a samsung tablet …Thanks but I should have said anything but samsung, I had a samsung tablet earlier this year, it had a known issue and samsung customer care couldn't have been less interested, they told me several times they didn't know if, or when a fix would be released. I binned mine but a friend kept his, a year later and they still haven't fixed it. I'll never give samsung a penny again.

Oh really? Would it be rude to ask what tablet it was? I was actually going to buy one today from the galaxy series
The Nokia 5 is a really good phone with regular updates its £99 at o2

o2.co.uk/sho…ugo
deleted9122451st Jan

Oh really? Would it be rude to ask what tablet it was? I was actually …Oh really? Would it be rude to ask what tablet it was? I was actually going to buy one today from the galaxy series

The tab a 10.1. WiFi cut-out constantly. Showed ad connected but no internet. You’d have to wait for it to reconnect. Which it sometimes didn’t so you’d have to manually turn WiFi on and off. Which also sometimes didn’t work. So then you’d have to clear the cache to get WiFi to work. All together myself and several friends had 6 tablets (4 ordered and two of those replaced) all of them had the same issue. Samsung couldn’t have cared less.
regretful15 m ago

The Nokia 5 is a really good phone with regular updates its £99 at …The Nokia 5 is a really good phone with regular updates its £99 at o2https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/tariff/nokia/5?productId=9ce5b34b-b78d-4807-a04b-4c70a7a8a200&planId=&contractType=payasyougo

Thanks! Didn’t even know Nokia still made phones!
Wotan5 m ago

Thanks! Didn’t even know Nokia still made phones!

They re-enetered the market recently and have some really good phones now, and a retro version of the Nokia 3310
Wotan10 h, 2 m ago

Thanks but I should have said anything but samsung, I had a samsung tablet …Thanks but I should have said anything but samsung, I had a samsung tablet earlier this year, it had a known issue and samsung customer care couldn't have been less interested, they told me several times they didn't know if, or when a fix would be released. I binned mine but a friend kept his, a year later and they still haven't fixed it. I'll never give samsung a penny again.

Was it a cheap tablet? Tablets are not reliable inless you buy expensive
deleted912245
Wotan22 m ago

The tab a 10.1. WiFi cut-out constantly. Showed ad connected but no …The tab a 10.1. WiFi cut-out constantly. Showed ad connected but no internet. You’d have to wait for it to reconnect. Which it sometimes didn’t so you’d have to manually turn WiFi on and off. Which also sometimes didn’t work. So then you’d have to clear the cache to get WiFi to work. All together myself and several friends had 6 tablets (4 ordered and two of those replaced) all of them had the same issue. Samsung couldn’t have cared less.

Sounds weird! I just ordered the galaxy tab, the galaxy line is their flagship models so hopefully better luck with that! But I do agree with Samsung being useless I had contacted them a few times with absolute useless replies, it seems their employees don't even know the technology that they are working with Apple defitntley has the best support system! Although I still find I have to ask for the manager as the initial people there are also useless but the manager always helps and gets what needs to be done! I just wanted a change from my older iPad mini 2, having got a Samsung phone this year I was so impressed I had to go with them for a tablet haha
deleted9122451st Jan

Sounds weird! I just ordered the galaxy tab, the galaxy line is their …Sounds weird! I just ordered the galaxy tab, the galaxy line is their flagship models so hopefully better luck with that! But I do agree with Samsung being useless I had contacted them a few times with absolute useless replies, it seems their employees don't even know the technology that they are working with Apple defitntley has the best support system! Although I still find I have to ask for the manager as the initial people there are also useless but the manager always helps and gets what needs to be done! I just wanted a change from my older iPad mini 2, having got a Samsung phone this year I was so impressed I had to go with them for a tablet haha

I binned the Samsung tablet and got this years (we’ll, last years now!) iPad. Thankfully it’s been flawless!
Anyone tried cubot phones? Cubot r9 looks like it fits the bill. 2gb ram. 16gb storage. £70 on amazon.

Kicking myself self for not ordering another oukitel c8 on Black Friday (got one for family).
£65 and should meet all your needs
hotukdeals.com/dea…114

The normal Redmi 5 for just over £100 will have better battery though due to the more efficient (and faster snapdragon 450).
Wotan3 h, 54 m ago

Anyone tried cubot phones? Cubot r9 looks like it fits the bill. 2gb ram. …Anyone tried cubot phones? Cubot r9 looks like it fits the bill. 2gb ram. 16gb storage. £70 on amazon. Kicking myself self for not ordering another oukitel c8 on Black Friday (got one for family).

Check out the reviews on Amazon and YouTube it
R9 is a no go. Seems it only takes SDcards up to 32gb.
Oukitel k10000pro
Review

Battery life demo

Takes 128gb SD,
Edited by: "shadey12" 1st Jan
shadey1226 m ago

Oukitel k10000proReview[Video] Battery life demo[Video] Takes 128gb SD,

Thanks, but jesus thats an ugly phone. If it were under £100 I;d probably think about it but I can't bring myself to pay over £100 for something that looks so bad.
All the phone that catch my eye say they only take 32gb SD card. I wonder if that’s actually truth or they just don’t officially support cards bigger than that.

All all my music is on a 64gb sd card so I need that supported.
Wotan51 m ago

All the phone that catch my eye say they only take 32gb SD card. I wonder …All the phone that catch my eye say they only take 32gb SD card. I wonder if that’s actually truth or they just don’t officially support cards bigger than that. All all my music is on a 64gb sd card so I need that supported.

I've had a 128gb in last 3 phones, the specs say 32 32 64 on each phone, it worked fine in all of them.

Edit also worked in 2 tablets with less than that on spec.
Edited by: "shadey12" 1st Jan
Just to update his. Went for the Ulefone S8 pro. Won’t be winning any awards but it was £72 on amazon and ticks all the boxes so I’m sure it will do the job.

Thanks to to all who commended.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants