Which budget CPU / GPU for FSX and newer games? MiniITX

Found 10th Jan 2015
Was going to buy a PS4... but decided to build a budget MiniITX gaming PC. Can anyone suggest a cpu and gpu for playing FSX (CPU Intensive) and newer games (gpu intensive).

Don't really want to spend more than £450 on the build..

9 Comments

You will prob spend more than the cost of a PS4.

PS4 is less than £300 in most places and is the best console I have ever played.

PS4 Best Deals

Edited by: "cvyas" 10th Jan 2015

I was all set to mention some of the hex-core AMD piledrivers are well priced and nippy. The six core one is about £75, and the eight core just over £100. Alas, I haven't seen any mini ITX AM3+ motherboards though.

Graphics would probably be either a r7 260X if you want AMD, or a GTX 650 Ti Boost for Nvidia

I don't know anything about building computers or graphics cards or games, but I read an article about FSX and one thing I do remember is that the best graphics cards for FSX are nvidia, The code for FSX was wrote in 2006 and there's only nvidia that takes FSX into consideration when making their cards.
The recommended processors were Intel and max mem was 8GB . The article was really in depth and was called something like FSX Bible.
Edit.
THE FSX COMPUTER SYSTEM: THE BIBLE - BY: NickN
simforums.com/for…tml
Edited by: "bigbaz" 10th Jan 2015

cvyas

You will prob spend more than the cost of a PS4. PS4 is less than £300 in … You will prob spend more than the cost of a PS4. PS4 is less than £300 in most places and is the best console I have ever played.PS4 Best Deals

You'll soon get that money back from savings on games.

bigbaz

I don't know anything about building computers or graphics cards or … I don't know anything about building computers or graphics cards or games, but I read an article about FSX and one thing I do remember is that the best graphics cards for FSX are nvidia, The code for FSX was wrote in 2006 and there's only nvidia that takes FSX into consideration when making their cards.The recommended processors were Intel and max mem was 8GB . The article was really in depth and was called something like FSX Bible.Edit.THE FSX COMPUTER SYSTEM: THE BIBLE - BY: NickNhttp://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

The Steam version of FSX has had a whole load of changes/fixes including making it much more friendly with most graphics cards. Was down to £3.99 recently too (back up to £19.99 now though).

Edited by: "phishwak" 10th Jan 2015

teh arn

You'll soon get that money back from savings on games.

And you can't play FSX on a PS4 of course....

Original Poster

I was all set to buy a PS4 for £299 at game over xmas.. even traded in my PS3 .. but after googling and watching youtube .. the general consensus seems pc gaming is the way forward.

I purchased FSX at £3.99 couple of weeks ago from Steam.. just need a PC to play it on

Would the intel G3258 be worth looking at.. or should I go for i5.. looking for Intel/Nvidia. From research looks like FSX plays better with intel cpus..

RTi

I was all set to buy a PS4 for £299 at game over xmas.. even traded in my … I was all set to buy a PS4 for £299 at game over xmas.. even traded in my PS3 .. but after googling and watching youtube .. the general consensus seems pc gaming is the way forward. I purchased FSX at £3.99 couple of weeks ago from Steam.. just need a PC to play it on :)Would the intel G3258 be worth looking at.. or should I go for i5.. looking for Intel/Nvidia. From research looks like FSX plays better with intel cpus..

I have a G3258 overclocked to 4.4ghz & it's fantastic for most games, but newer games that have minimum quad core requirement might struggle.

Have you had a look at the alienware alpha? Great bit of kit at about ps4 level

dell.com/uk/…/pd

Starts at £450, but dell often do discounts. Maybe talk with chat to see if they can give you any free upgrades or discounts.

passmark is a great site to get an idea on cpu the i3 in the alpha is similar in performance to the pentium you mentioned

cpubenchmark.net/com…php?cmp[]=2267&cmp[]=2035
Edited by: "badasschris" 11th Jan 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. First batch of original Xbox backwards compatible games1218
    2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread429114687
    3. BrightHouse to pay £14.8 MILLION in compensation to 249,000 customers22
    4. #KoemanIn, Thank You Koeman for trying to get Everton relegated!1627

See more discussions