Groups

Which camera lens to take to Italy (Lake Como)

Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

I am off to Italy in a few weeks but it's only a day trip so I am limited on time. From the airport we will be getting a train to Lake Como.

The decision I have is that I want to take my 650D and only 1 lens however I cannot decide which lens to take. It is between the following:

- Canon 24-105mm L
    - Sigma 10-20mm

I'm guessing the best option would be the Canon lens but please tell me what you think. I'm still very new to photography and I guess the answer will be depend upon what my subject is however I still appreciate your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

14 Comments

I think a wide angle lens is probably the best bet

p.s. don't miss a ride on the "Bernini express" to St. Moritz !!!!!

oops - sorry Josh that's a day in itself (but you'll want to go gback

both lenses are massive. you've got a serious dilemma mate. make sure chosen one will match your outfit. lol.

cambargins

both lenses are massive. you've got a serious dilemma mate. make sure … both lenses are massive. you've got a serious dilemma mate. make sure chosen one will match your outfit. lol.

​PS. don't forget selfie stick

take both

Original Poster

ow1ie

oops - sorry Josh that's a day in itself (but you'll want to go gback

Thanks, that's what I am wondering but worried it may be too wide for some pictures.

The Bernini express looks awesome, perhaps I'll look at that when I visit Switzerland.

cambargins

both lenses are massive. you've got a serious dilemma mate. make sure … both lenses are massive. you've got a serious dilemma mate. make sure chosen one will match your outfit. lol.

Massive? They're both average size lenses.. not like the 70-200 or 100-400. Unless I took a 50mm then I can't get much smaller but I don't have one right now.
    Edited by: "joshp" 19th Sep 2016

Sigma 10-20 and a nifty fifty /40mm pancake lens.

Original Poster

tempt

Sigma 10-20 and a nifty fifty /40mm pancake lens.

I only have the 2 lens I listed though.

24-105 gives you more flexibility but I have 30 odd lenses and when I have choose one it's a 50-260mm. But then again I don't ever take less then two because I always have my nice 27mm pancake lens thats take up no space at all :-)

The location is more suitable for wide angle landcape shots. You miss out on the wide end with a 24-104 on a APS-C sensor (38-168 equivalent in 35mm terms). At least with a 10-20 you have the option of cropping in post to achieve telephoto if required.

P.S: If you are starting out in photography you should get the 50 1.8

tempt

The location is more suitable for wide angle landcape shots. You miss out … The location is more suitable for wide angle landcape shots. You miss out on the wide end with a 24-104 on a APS-C sensor (38-168 equivalent in 35mm terms). At least with a 10-20 you have the option of cropping in post to achieve telephoto if required. P.S: If you are starting out in photography you should get the 50 1.8

op isn't as new to photography as they make out
    telling new people to get a 50/1.8 isn't really good advice anyway imo - its better to shoot and find if they can use 50mm as its not really that versatile a length anyway

Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.

To throw a spanner in the mix I've just acquired a Tamron 18-270mm. Is this a decent lens and would this be worth taking instead or would the image quality suffer?

I would just take the sigma
    I owned this on my 600d
    It takes great quality landscapes
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 187 ***1129
      2. Microsoft approve Hyperkin's remake of the OG Xbox controller66
      3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866382
      4. word association Game74044544

See more discussions