Which car brake pads?

Posted 6th Oct
Hi. I have a Toyota avensis. I have serviced the brakes a few times. Have new Pagid discs and pads all round.
I just don’t get the stopping power I use to get. I don’t think Toyota brakes are the best in general. So I’m wanting to upgrade the pads to something which can offer a better bite. I do a lot of driving, so safety is important to me.
I have been looking at:
*Ferodo
*EBC

What do you guys recommend?
Are there any other brands you recommend?

Many thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
ATE or Textar for me.
My Peugeot comes with ATE Callipers and ATE pads or Textar pads.
Standard manufacturers fit, I will pop out the fronts nearer the time just to check.
Either way ATE or Textar will be going back in.

Toyota's eat brake pads and disc's dont they.
How old is the brake fluid?
Have a brake fluid service, usually about 30 ish quid, Brake fluid has hygroscopic properties - meaning that it absorbs moisture during its life in your car through the pipes, hoses and joints that it lubricates. As the water content in the brake fluid increases, the temperature the liquid boils at decreases. The boiling point can be significantly reduced by water contamination which will have a negative effect on your braking ability.
Never use Pagid, they are nothing like the Pagid of old, ECP bought the name and now just pack Chinese crap in there, that's their whole business model, and don't even get me started on their supply of LuK clutches. For proper quality braking i'd go with either TRW or Apec.
ding06/10/2019 16:03

Have a brake fluid service, usually about 30 ish quid, Brake fluid has …Have a brake fluid service, usually about 30 ish quid, Brake fluid has hygroscopic properties - meaning that it absorbs moisture during its life in your car through the pipes, hoses and joints that it lubricates. As the water content in the brake fluid increases, the temperature the liquid boils at decreases. The boiling point can be significantly reduced by water contamination which will have a negative effect on your braking ability.

Many thanks. I shall probably do a full brake flush. I partially flushed the fluid a few months ago.
emporer06/10/2019 18:41

Never use Pagid, they are nothing like the Pagid of old, ECP bought the …Never use Pagid, they are nothing like the Pagid of old, ECP bought the name and now just pack Chinese crap in there, that's their whole business model, and don't even get me started on their supply of LuK clutches. For proper quality braking i'd go with either TRW or Apec.

I actually had this doubt in the back of my head when buying Pagid after reading forums.

I’ve also seen Brembo pads with other manufacturers on the box from ECP.

Where do you pick up apec pads from?

Many thanks
expandingmaan06/10/2019 19:10

I actually had this doubt in the back of my head when buying Pagid after …I actually had this doubt in the back of my head when buying Pagid after reading forums. I’ve also seen Brembo pads with other manufacturers on the box from ECP. Where do you pick up apec pads from?Many thanks

Any decent independent motor factor, check the Apex website and I'm sure they would have a list of who's local to you that supplies them.
Fitted Ferodo pads on my previous 2 cars and I found them excellent.

My current car I fitted some Brembo discs and pads front and rear and the pads rattled so much on the front I ended up changing them for OEM pads from manufacturer. They still rattle a little in the rear.

I'd buy OEM personally. Avoids any fitment issues etc.
emporer06/10/2019 18:41

Never use Pagid, they are nothing like the Pagid of old, ECP bought the …Never use Pagid, they are nothing like the Pagid of old, ECP bought the name and now just pack Chinese crap in there, that's their whole business model, and don't even get me started on their supply of LuK clutches. For proper quality braking i'd go with either TRW or Apec.

Pagid are part of the TMD Group - tmdfriction.com/aft…et/ who are now owned by the Japanese company Nisshimbo nisshinbo-brakes.com/?la…=en ECP do have some own brand ranges (Eicher for one) but I'm pretty sure that Pagid are not part of them.

I have had very good experience with Pagid products - everything I have bought has been manufactured in Germany. I also like Brembo and Bosch products.
How new.? Any pads and discs will be utter pants for the first few hundred miles.

Have a look at getting low metal pads with a more ceramic composition.
Also make sure calipers are in good shape, pins greased and piston is nice and free, you can generally turn pistons back in quite easily by hand, if it's really hard to twist back then your going to have poor braking.
MonkeysUncle07/10/2019 20:50

How new.? Any pads and discs will be utter pants for the first few hundred …How new.? Any pads and discs will be utter pants for the first few hundred miles.Have a look at getting low metal pads with a more ceramic composition. Also make sure calipers are in good shape, pins greased and piston is nice and free, you can generally turn pistons back in quite easily by hand, if it's really hard to twist back then your going to have poor braking.

I’ve had them for a few thousand miles.
Do you know any brands which have a more ceramic composition?

I shall also inspect the callipers after your suggestion.
Many thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants