Which car do people recommend for around £1500?

Found 5th Jul 2012
Baring in mind it must be a low insurance group one. At the moment I'm looking at getting a vw golf 1.6.

1. Misc
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Car
37 Comments

Banned

Even a 1.6 will be high insurance for a young age driver. I would like for something else other than a golf if i were you OP.

you need a 1.2 or 1.4 for cheap car insurance (im a young driver myself) a good starter car would be something like a clio or a punto. I currently have a ford focus 1.4 and thats really cheap to insure

We had a 51 plate clio that we sold for less than that. Low insurance group (about 4-5), £30 a year to tax, plus it was diesel, so plenty of MPG out of it. A nippy, decent car for the money.

Adam1990

you need a 1.2 or 1.4 for cheap car insurance (im a young driver myself) … you need a 1.2 or 1.4 for cheap car insurance (im a young driver myself) a good starter car would be something like a clio or a punto. I currently have a ford focus 1.4 and thats really cheap to insure

Yes if you want to spend most of your time pushing it

Original Poster

I've checked insurance quotes and there's only a £300 difference between a corsa and golf 1.6 insurance price wise with insure the box.

Kia Picanto

http://world-viewer.com/data_images/reliant-robin/reliant-robin-08.jpg

Only £300 difference in insurance but then there is dearer road tax , a lot more fuel for a car that is slower than a 1.2 Clio . Take the advice and go for something smaller ( you will also get something newer) . And that's coming from someone who worked with vw for 10 years and who's first car was a 1.6 golf .

What about a 1.2 vw polo about a 52/03 plate will come in at your budget .

Get an Alfa 147 for less than 1k, then put the difference towards your insurance. Just as good as a golf.

Banned

ford focus/fiesta

vw polo

Try an Astra DTI 1.7 Diesel. Very nippy, cheap to insure (group 4) and very ecomincal (60+mpg). You'd be looking at a 8-10 year old car, but the ISUZU engines are built to last and 100k is only breaking it in.

i just bought my first car at the age of 24, and purchased a 1.6 VW Golf for £1,500 lol, Insurance is £867 (Tesco) which i didnt think was too bad..

actually pick up the car on sunday, could have got a newer model with less miles if i had really been arsed to looked around (got a 2001), but got it from the same dealership my dad has used, it had the cambelt done 10k miles ago and has literally jsut had a new clutch in

came with a decent amount of tax/mot left.. so i couldnt really complain too much

ive got my fingers crossed im not going to get too many issues courtesy of the german engine... but we will wait and see, was also looking at things like renault megane, peugeot 307's but i didnt fancy going french... ford focus's seemed liek a decent option aswell

im aware i could purchase more economically, but a round trip to work is only 8miles.

Banned

joeprosho

i just bought my first car at the age of 24, and purchased a 1.6 VW Golf, … i just bought my first car at the age of 24, and purchased a 1.6 VW Golf, Insurance is £867 which i didnt think was too bad..

For first time car @ 24 that is a pretty good deal

Banned

Lol remember to get an insurance quote first. Average for fully comp is about £3k to be honest.

Insured last month for £857 on VW Golf 1.6. I'm 21. Can't remember what insurance group it is

First car at 23 - 1.0 litre 53 plate corsa £1600

Insurance £1450

Feelsbadman.jpg

Banned

budgie101

Insured last month for £857 on VW Golf 1.6. I'm 21. Can't remember what … Insured last month for £857 on VW Golf 1.6. I'm 21. Can't remember what insurance group it is

first car?

Original Poster

my insurance will be £2200 lol.

Banned

MarzBarz

my insurance will be £2200 lol.

age/car if you don't mind me asking

Original Poster

sherg

age/car if you don't mind me asking

thats on a x reg golf.... a corsa 01 reg will be about £1800-£1900.

Tbh my town is a joke for car insurance and i live on one of the busiest roads.

I had a corsa for my 1st car a few years back wen i was 18 and i was paying £2400 , ended up selling car due to costing to much , then I was given a mk4 golf 1.4s and it was cheeper to insure than the corsa :-s , £1600 with Adrian flux

sherg

For first time car @ 24 that is a pretty good deal

yeah thats comprehensive, think you can select an economy option to save about £20

is quite weird though as on quotes if i went directly to tesco it was at least double, but i got that quote through moneysupermarket.com and have a clubcard number entered aswell, i get cheap quotes on the golfs all the way up until models around 2004, then insurance rockets to about 3.5k, not quite sure of the logic behind any of it, but not complaining, if i went near any of the GTI's or 2.0L diesels my insurance was a joke aswell, think i have a pretty decent postcode though

bit nervous my cars just gonna fall apart though

p.s think there insurance band 6

Original Poster

joeprosho

i just bought my first car at the age of 24, and purchased a 1.6 VW Golf … i just bought my first car at the age of 24, and purchased a 1.6 VW Golf for £1,500 lol, Insurance is £867 (Tesco) which i didnt think was too bad..actually pick up the car on sunday, could have got a newer model with less miles if i had really been arsed to looked around (got a 2001), but got it from the same dealership my dad has used, it had the cambelt done 10k miles ago and has literally jsut had a new clutch in came with a decent amount of tax/mot left.. so i couldnt really complain too muchive got my fingers crossed im not going to get too many issues courtesy of the german engine... but we will wait and see, was also looking at things like renault megane, peugeot 307's but i didnt fancy going french... ford focus's seemed liek a decent option aswellim aware i could purchase more economically, but a round trip to work is only 8miles.

cam belts been done so should be fine, the 1.6 16v doesn't have as many issues as the older 1.6 8v model! apparently that one just has problem after problem.

MarzBarz

cam belts been done so should be fine, the 1.6 16v doesn't have as many … cam belts been done so should be fine, the 1.6 16v doesn't have as many issues as the older 1.6 8v model! apparently that one just has problem after problem.

didnt know that, but tx, i did look try look for lower mileage golfs and found them, but then with some i thought i might be buying this jsut before it needs cambelt doing and dont wanna be paying out for that! couldnt be arsed with the hassle of looking too much in the end so have just taken a chance

mines done over 100k and i wouldnt have considered had the cambelt not been done so recently in mileage terms

If you're fancying a Golf, I'd have a look at an Octavia Mk 1 - same parts underneath but your money should go quite a bit further with the Skoda. I had one as my first car which made it to 110,000 miles without issue and was taken off the road when the person I sold the car to lost control on the snow and crashed it.

John

Banned

Johnmcl7

If you're fancying a Golf, I'd have a look at an Octavia Mk 1 - same … If you're fancying a Golf, I'd have a look at an Octavia Mk 1 - same parts underneath but your money should go quite a bit further with the Skoda. I had one as my first car which made it to 110,000 miles without issue and was taken off the road when the person I sold the car to lost control on the snow and crashed it.John

LMAO a Skoda. I don't think OP is a 60 year old pedo.

Original Poster

went to view a mk4 1.6 everything seemed good until i drove it clutch was going and gearbox.

Banned

MarzBarz

went to view a mk4 1.6 everything seemed good until i drove it clutch was … went to view a mk4 1.6 everything seemed good until i drove it clutch was going and gearbox.

Lol I bet that wasn't mentioned beforehand. Private sellers tend to be cheaper but there is no fallback. If you go with a private seller I recommend you get one of those RAC guys to come out and check a car you are serious about.

Original Poster

It was a trader... Tried to play dumb and say he has never driven the car but his co worker had.

I have a friend who's a mechanic so can pick up on the main problems

cejiogu1

LMAO a Skoda. I don't think OP is a 60 year old pedo.

Laugh your ass off all you want, you're the one making yourself look like an idiot. The Octavias use most of the parts from the Mk IV Golf, usually manage to score better for reliability and have more space. Thanks to short sighted people like yourself the Skodas have much better spec for the same price meaning your money goes quite a bit further.

John

Banned

Johnmcl7

Laugh your ass off all you want, you're the one making yourself look like … Laugh your ass off all you want, you're the one making yourself look like an idiot. The Octavias use most of the parts from the Mk IV Golf, usually manage to score better for reliability and have more space. Thanks to short sighted people like yourself the Skodas have much better spec for the same price meaning your money goes quite a bit further.John

maybe he want's to pick up fit birds

Original Poster

Ended up buying a polo 2001 shape. Could not find any decent golf within my budget. All were completely screwed up.

Banned

see post #11

I am God.

nice car, how much was it to insure?

Original Poster

sherg

see post #11 I am God.nice car, how much was it to insure?

£2000 cheapest quote so far, still looking lol.

Original Poster

£1600 is the cheapest quote now fully comp! and I've taken it out.

test
Post a comment
@
    Text