Which car? Electric cars..

Posted 5th Oct
Hey guys I’m looking to buy a new car... well I kind of feel forced to buy a new car since my current car is diesel.
I want a half electric car.. any ideas?
I haven’t really set my self a budget.. what are the prices like?
Any experiences?
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
"forced to buy a new car since my current car is diesel"
You are NOT forced to buy a new car because it's diesel. You are "forced" because you are easily influenced and you want to be part of the bandwagon.
Edited by: "TobyZ" 5th Oct
15 Comments
Wait another year. Ford is releasing a range of hybrid and electric cars next year. Even if you don’t want a ford, the competition will help bring down prices. If your diesel car is a Euro 6 it’ll still meet the criteria for no charge on low emission zones.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 5th Oct
So by half electric do you mean a plug-in hybrid/PHEV? Where it has 25-30ish miles of electric range for day to day use but also an engine you can use for regular longer journeys (although not too frequently, they're generally not very efficient when running on petrol).

Price-wise new ones start at just below £30k up to about £50k for a bigger car like a V90 or 5-series.
Someone post a lease deal for electric car couple days ago.
"forced to buy a new car since my current car is diesel"
You are NOT forced to buy a new car because it's diesel. You are "forced" because you are easily influenced and you want to be part of the bandwagon.
TobyZ05/10/2019 11:37

"forced to buy a new car since my current car is diesel"You are NOT forced …"forced to buy a new car since my current car is diesel"You are NOT forced to buy a new car because it's diesel. You are "forced" because you are easily influenced and you want to be part of the bandwagon.

Are you aware of the changing laws? My current car is not a Euro 6
Do what I did sell your car and buy a motorcycle/scooter, cost practically nothing to run.

Traffic jams are a thing of the past now .
Merry00005/10/2019 11:59

The laws will always change. Just wait and see how it goes, then you make a decision.
Prices will also change; the novelty is always more expensive than it should.

This is not about "saving the planet", but rather how to get more money from the slaves. Why not investing more in public transportation and car sharing ? why not FREE parking outside the city + FREE public transportation in the city ?
Presumably you're going to be subject to a LEZ?

What do you use your car for? I'd go full electric (we are on our second Leaf). Hybrids are more complex and seem to have many more issues with reliability than pure electrics.

If you want to try things out then if you're near milton keynes there is an ev experience centre that has loads of evs for you to look at and rent by the week evexperiencecentre.co.uk/

Another trial option is evezy evezy.co.uk/ which lets you lease an ev for a month.

When looking at costs remember to factor in the huge savings in fuel costs.
Hybrid is a stupid error in terms of technology, towing an engine along, getting that engine maintained as before...so much IF you bother to look into it.

Also "self charging technology" is farce (another term for hybrid.

Pure electric A+
I'd ignore the electric car nonsense if you're not leasing as if anything goes wrong you will have to pay a kings ransom if outside of warranty period. In addition it's a false economy you pay a premuim over the diesel , petrol equivalent.
the quoted mileage return will never be realised in winter with lights, heating, wipers, ICE running, heated windscreens,plus batteries take longer to charge and lose charge faster in cold conditions. In the summer with air con etc running you'll lose mileage again.
Finally you buy a car for freedom, with electric you have to plan every journey and remember to charge the car or you'll find self at motorway services waiting to get enough charge to carry on your journey
Edited by: "187kid" 5th Oct
I've got a 4th gen Toyota Prius at the moment and am very pleased with it. it's not a plug in, it's a self charging hybrid as Toyota call it. In reality, it'll do about 2 miles at most on a full charge, providing you're not pressing the accelerator too hard and you stay under 25 mph. That said, that's not the point of it. What it does it switch seamlessly between battery and petrol often multiple times in a minute depending on how you're accelerating or if you're coasting etc. I've done 17,500 miles in, mostly city driving and am averaging 58.4mpg.

I test drove a Mini Countryman and BMW 2 series PHEV for a weekend each and wasn't impressed. The cars themselves were very nice, but the stated range of 35 miles turned out to be about 20 at a push and then you're just dragging around some heavy batteries. I drove the BMW in charge mode, so as it went along it charged the batteries too and averaged just over 30mpg whilst that was going on and then even with the 10 miles of battery running at the end it still only worked out at 43 or 44mpg - that was on a run of over 180 miles on all types of roads.

It doesn't really answer your question, but unless you can charge it at home or work every day and can live with the reduced economy on a long run then go for one, but you'll pay for them. The Countryman we tested was a lot more than the standard one, with a smaller boot as well. If it's a company car, then they can work out cheaper as the CO2 output means your BIK tax is a lot lower.
There is a chicken and egg situation playing out at the moment with electric cars. Prices won't drop until more people are buying them and sales are slow because there still isn't a reasonable level of infrastructure in place to support them. Neither technology companies nor the government will invest in the infrastructure until they can see a likelihood of some return on their investment which won't happen until sales increase.
No budget yet? Ok, you want a hybrid there are plenty of choices.

Ferrari LaFerrari
Mclaren P1
Porsche 918
My wife was "convinced" she wanted a hybrid until I pointed out that living in the countryside the battery drops off & the engine kicked in after such as traveller less than 125 metres into her journey due to reaching between 25 and 30 mph. She bought a Nissan leaf & loves it, doesn't reply "plan trips" beyond a cursory press of a button in the car (chargers in range) + zap maps.
Merry00005/10/2019 11:59

Euro 6 is fine for at least the next few years. Don’t panic, if you have a Euro 5 or lower and live or travel into cities that are likely to adopt low emission zones then you could face a charge of £10-20 a day to travel into those areas. If you don’t use your car for that or live/work in a city but occasionally travel to one it’s likely still cheaper to pay the fee on the odd occasion and keep the car for the rest of its useable life.

If you do then it might be wise to also consider a Euro 6 diesel and then revisit hybrid/electric in a few years time.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 6th Oct
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants