Which carriers to use to return a faulty car battery

Posted 25th Aug 2020
I have a Tayna supplied car battery which has died and needs to be returned under warranty. I have to arrange it myself, never returned a car battery before. Has anyone done the same and which carrier did you use?
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
I've only returned a battery once and the supplier arranged pick up.
Ask them which company they use/would recommend.
Why are you paying for return if under warranty will you be reimbursed? I think they use UPS.
MrWalle25/08/2020 15:24

Why are you paying for return if under warranty will you be reimbursed? I …Why are you paying for return if under warranty will you be reimbursed? I think they use UPS.

A warranty is not the same as the op's statutory consumer rights with the retailer, if it's over 6 months old then he will have to prove it was inherently faulty. Sometimes it's just easier to claim via the manufacturers warranty.
Edited by: "paulj48" 25th Aug
MrWalle25/08/2020 15:24

Why are you paying for return if under warranty will you be reimbursed? I …Why are you paying for return if under warranty will you be reimbursed? I think they use UPS.

Most warranties / legal guarantees require the buyer to (fund) return to merchant's location or service provider, unless there is some mandatory obligation for the merchant to cover the shipping cost either way in which case I would genuinely appreciate URL to the legislation, thanks.
I must be mistaken I returned one a few years ago not to Tanya though and the seller organised collection didn’t cost me anything.
AndyRoyd25/08/2020 16:22

Most warranties / legal guarantees require the buyer to (fund) return to …Most warranties / legal guarantees require the buyer to (fund) return to merchant's location or service provider, unless there is some mandatory obligation for the merchant to cover the shipping cost either way in which case I would genuinely appreciate URL to the legislation, thanks.

citizensadvice.org.uk/abo…15/
paulj4825/08/2020 17:08

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-citizens-advice-works/citizens-advice-consumer-work/the-consumer-rights-act-2015/

Assuming the URL was intended to provide info on liability for return shipping costs, I cannot immediately see the info
AndyRoyd25/08/2020 17:11

Assuming the URL was intended to provide info on liability for return …Assuming the URL was intended to provide info on liability for return shipping costs, I cannot immediately see the info

This is a better site
which.co.uk/con…act
paulj4825/08/2020 17:19

This is a better …This is a better sitehttps://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Genuinely appreciate your persistence but I still can't see where it defines who is obligated to fund the return shipping costs. Any chance you could copy&paste the text that defines the warranty shipping cost responsibility, thanks.
Looking at Tayna returns policy this is what it states;

Guarantee

We guarantee your satisfaction. All products carry a minimum of 1 year's warranty against failure and defects under reasonable operating conditions.
Faulty Items
Although faults with batteries are very rare, we do occasionally get items that are faulty after purchase. We aim to handle all faulty items returned to us as quickly as possible to avoid inconvenience to you. After a faulty battery is confirmed we will pay to ship a replacement back to to you, but where no fault is found, unlike some companies we don't charge a test fee but we do have to charge carriage back to you at cost. Any non-faulty items not collected within 3 months will be diposed of.

Please pack the product up and send to us by a recorded means. We will test the product and if found to be faulty will despatch a replacement.

No mention of arranging or paying for the return though.
MrWalle25/08/2020 16:27

I must be mistaken I returned one a few years ago not to Tanya though and …I must be mistaken I returned one a few years ago not to Tanya though and the seller organised collection didn’t cost me anything.

You're probably not mistaken as a subsequent thread had similar debate over faulty goods' shipping responsibility and eventually identified a likely credible application of "Right to repair or replacement" legislation that states:
"...If the consumer requires the trader to repair or replace the goods, the trader must —
... (b) bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).
.."
legislation.gov.uk/ukp…ted

@Wowhats : if you are absolutely certain that the battery has a legitimate issue that is covered under legal guarantee, contact the merchant and request the merchant covers the cost of return (supplies label or arranges collection, etc) for the defective item and quote the above legislation text and reference. If the merchant still declines to fund the postage costs, ask the merchant to identify its exemption to the legislation, and maybe let us know if the merchant plays ball or not.
Post a comment
@
    Text