Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Which Cashback credit card?

Posted 27th Sep
Hi I’m looking to pay for my new conservatory/orangerie on a Cashback credit card in order to maximise potential Cashback. I will be paying it in 3 x payments of approx £7k. Once payments are made I will be immediately paying off the credit using my savings so I’m not fussed about the interest rate as it will be fully paid off, and to be honest I will cancel the card as soon as Iv seen out the minimum term.

Before I apply for it, does anybody have any recommendations as to which card? I have excellent credit rating and like I say would pay off the balance immediately anyway. Should also add that I’m not looking to get Avios or free flight upgrades or anything like that, just purely for Cashback. Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
Tandem 0.5% cashback (MasterCard but poorer CS)

Amex Platinum Everyday 5% on first 3 months (maximum £100), 0.5% afterwards on purchases up to £5k, and 1% on purchases over that.

As long as the business accepts Amex (which it is very likely to given the cost of the transaction), that is definitely the best one for you.
Edited by: "jamie15" 27th Sep
jamie1527/09/2019 16:31

Tandem 0.5% cashback (MasterCard but poorer CS)Amex Platinum Everyday 5% …Tandem 0.5% cashback (MasterCard but poorer CS)Amex Platinum Everyday 5% on first 3 months (maximum £100), 0.5% afterwards on purchases up to £5k, and 1% on purchases over that.

Thanks for this. The Amex was the one Iv been looking at - would I be able to spend the full £20k on it or is there a Credit limit? Or is that based on what I ask them for?
francodevil27/09/2019 16:33

Thanks for this. The Amex was the one Iv been looking at - would I be able …Thanks for this. The Amex was the one Iv been looking at - would I be able to spend the full £20k on it or is there a Credit limit? Or is that based on what I ask them for?

There is a credit limit, it's up to Amex what they give you as it depends on the person. Generally Amex are quite generous with their limit.

If you are spending £20k.

£2,000 x 5% = £100
£5,000 x 0.5% = £25
£13,000 x 1% = £130

Approx £255 cashback isn't bad at all Don't forget to get referred by a friend + you might be able to go through TCB for extra money.

I think, but am not sure about this, that you can make the first payment of £7k then pay it off immediately. Then make another payment again and again immediately pay it off. As you are paying it off immediately, you don't reach the credit limit.
Edited by: "jamie15" 27th Sep
francodevil27/09/2019 16:33

Thanks for this. The Amex was the one Iv been looking at - would I be able …Thanks for this. The Amex was the one Iv been looking at - would I be able to spend the full £20k on it or is there a Credit limit? Or is that based on what I ask them for?

They give you whatever credit limit they think you should get. Most people can just get a couple of thousand credit.
jamie1527/09/2019 16:35

There is a credit limit, it's up to Amex what they give you as it depends …There is a credit limit, it's up to Amex what they give you as it depends on the person. Generally Amex are quite generous with their limit.If you are spending £20k.£2,000 x 5% = £100£5,000 x 0.5% = £25£13,000 x 1% = £130Approx £255 cashback isn't bad at all Don't forget to get referred by a friend + you might be able to go through TCB for extra money.I think, but am not sure about this, that you can make the first payment of £7k then pay it off immediately. Then make another payment again and again immediately pay it off. As you are paying it off immediately, you don't reach the credit limit.

That’s brilliant advice and thanks for doing the maths for me! I will definitely be looking into this but my plan was to do like you say, pay the initial payment and then clear the card and so on. Thanks mate much appreciated.
francodevil27/09/2019 16:48

That’s brilliant advice and thanks for doing the maths for me! I will d …That’s brilliant advice and thanks for doing the maths for me! I will definitely be looking into this but my plan was to do like you say, pay the initial payment and then clear the card and so on. Thanks mate much appreciated.

Hopefully it works I am definitely not a financial expert so please double check everything, but I don't think anything beats this Amex card with that 5% intro offer. Just make sure the business accepts Amex before you proceed!
If you fly with BA, and they take Amex, there are some deals to be had with a some cards - check out

headforpoints.com/bes…ds/

Some of these give you a free (companion voucher) second flight when you buy one. I have a colleague that flew to Japan first class on Avios, and her husband used the voucher for the same for free (minimal taxes).
rnem17027/09/2019 21:17

If you fly with BA, and they take Amex, there are some deals to be had …If you fly with BA, and they take Amex, there are some deals to be had with a some cards - check out https://www.headforpoints.com/best-uk-avios-airline-hotel-credit-cards/Some of these give you a free (companion voucher) second flight when you buy one. I have a colleague that flew to Japan first class on Avios, and her husband used the voucher for the same for free (minimal taxes).

OP said they don't want any points cards, only cashback.
Amex
jamie1527/09/2019 16:31

Tandem 0.5% cashback (MasterCard but poorer CS)Amex Platinum Everyday 5% …Tandem 0.5% cashback (MasterCard but poorer CS)Amex Platinum Everyday 5% on first 3 months (maximum £100), 0.5% afterwards on purchases up to £5k, and 1% on purchases over that.As long as the business accepts Amex (which it is very likely to given the cost of the transaction), that is definitely the best one for you.

Look for the version with the £25 annual fee. It has a higher initial cashback of £125 offsetting the fee and a straight 1% after that rather than a tiered amount, so an extra £25 than the Everyday card.

And if you apply through TCB, there is another £20 to be made.
Edited by: "bozo007" 28th Sep
bozo00728/09/2019 08:55

Look for the version with the £25 annual fee. It has a higher initial …Look for the version with the £25 annual fee. It has a higher initial cashback of £125 offsetting the fee and a straight 1% after that rather than a tiered amount, so an extra £25 than the Everyday card.And if you apply through TCB, there is another £20 to be made.

Good point, I forgot to look into the cards that cost a fee.
Thanks for all your comments guys - I got the card I wanted and I am happy with the credit limit they gave me so I’m all good now moving forward. Loving the help that this community provides us all with - cheers
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants