Which cheap tablet- Lenovo or Amazon fire?

Found 24th May 2017
I need a cheap tablet- the main purpose to take it abroad on our long honeymoon and use it to back up pictures and videos, but also we will load some movies etc onto it to watch while away if needed. Budget is less than £60 as I don't want to be carrying around an expensive tablet with me (plus we are skint from paying for the wedding...)

Dithering between the Lenovo Tab 3 Essential 7 inch which is on offer via Currys for £49.99

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

And the Amazon Fire 7 tablet which is also £49.99

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

I can get 7% extra discount for currys via my work benefits program so would make the price of either £46.60. Then will stick a big capacity micro SD in. 64gb should do it.

So, any help- which should I go for? I can't seperate them on specs.
Community Updates
8 Comments
very.co.uk/len…b4e
CODE for £20 off too. just worked for me...6TFTK
cpayne58

http://www.very.co.uk/lenovo-kids-tab-3-1gbnbspramnbsp16gbnbspstorage-7-inch-tablet-blue/1600106506.prd?itemAdded=true&_requestid=233058&aff=awin&affsrc=47868&cm_mmc=awin-_-47868-_-Bespoke-_-0_0&utm_source=awin&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=47868&utm_term=Bespoke&utm_content=na&awc=3090_1495628133_8f21e4eea10c5041976c89553d10cb4e CODE for £20 off too. just worked for me...6TFTK

​Will that code work on anything other than this tablet as I already own the non-kids version which I'm presuming is the same but without the jacket?
try it. I'm sure it will
Original Poster
Thank you!! So does that mean the lenovo is a decent enough buy?
cpayne58

http://www.very.co.uk/lenovo-kids-tab-3-1gbnbspramnbsp16gbnbspstorage-7-inch-tablet-blue/1600106506.prd?itemAdded=true&_requestid=233058&aff=awin&affsrc=47868&cm_mmc=awin-_-47868-_-Bespoke-_-0_0&utm_source=awin&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=47868&utm_term=Bespoke&utm_content=na&awc=3090_1495628133_8f21e4eea10c5041976c89553d10cb4e CODE for £20 off too. just worked for me...6TFTK

Is it a credit account you have with very? As it says not valid for me but I just wanted to pay for it now
I've got a credit account. it's fine. just pay off when bill comes.
I'm interested in what the opinion is between the 2 mentioned tablets as i need one to take on holiday with me.
Although Tesco sell the Lenovo as the A7-10 (it looks the same on paper as the one Currys sell), at 99p less, although there is a £5 off code that can be used bring it down to £44.
But is it better then the Fire?
I only need mine for a bit of browsing, facebook, etc, nothing heavy.
Original Poster
I went for the Lenovo in the end as I read a review which confirmed my concerns with the Fire- those concerns being that it is heavily geared towards Prime users, which I don't have. Apparentley it comes with lots of Amazon software and apps which you cannot customise, and you are forced to use the Amazon store and Amazon browser etc. Unless you pay for the ad-free version you also have adverts on your sleep screen etc for Amazon products.

I know someone who has a fire and likes it, but the above is not what I wanted- I just want something I can use for photo storage, facebook and watching a few movies on the go. We actually went and picked up the Lenovo from currys yesterday and so far I'm pleased with it- it does what I want for the right price. The screen resolution isn't amazing but is good enough- not pixelated but kind of grainy. Nothing too bad, but if you have a nice phone (I have a Galaxy s7) you will notice the difference. As far as speed and responsiveness, it's not lightning fast but it's fast enough. The camera is awful but I certainly didn't buy it for the camera! You can customise, install and remove apps easily- just like android on your phone. No adverts and no annoying Amazon software! If I wanted a tablet for every day use I'm not sure it would be suitable but to take on holiday it will do the job just fine.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants