Which Chinese Smartphone would you go for?`

Found 29th Dec 2017
My Huawei P10 Lite has seen better days so I am now in the market for a new phone and so, I am keen to try out a Chinese Smartphone.

Now, as my Huawei is on its last legs, I don't really have the time to wait for a new phone to arrive from China, so I am looking at Chinese phones that are fulfilled by Amazon so that I have some protection. So, I am looking at the following phones and would be keen to see what people think of them:

Vernee Mix 2
Elephone S8
Maze Alpha (seems very heavy)
Doogee Mix

I am open to other suggestions and I am happy to pay up to £200 or a little over - they still seem to be cheaper than the standard phones you can get in the UK and I do like their almost bezel-less look and large screens. I want something that has between a 5.5 inch and a 6 inch phone.

I have watched review after review, I have read review after review and I think I have got to the point where I have gone around and around in circles!

So, what are your thoughts on the above phones?
Does anyone have any experience of using them?
Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
AskPhones
15 Comments
I would be worried about spending another £200-300 on a Chinese phone if it only lasted about 9 months. Spend £400-450 and get a Samsung S8 or similar.
Well the issue is, my Huawei P10 lite is only 7 months old and that has given up the ghost almost, the phone I had before that was the same. The issue I have is having a phone that is worth 400- 500 that can still give up after 9 months as I have experienced. I wouldn't mind spending up to £200 on a phone that has a decent enough spec but only lasts 9-12 months. It is a tricky one but I don't value my phones half as much as I used to so something middle of the road will do me fine. If I had time I would go for a xiaomi but I cannot wait for the delivery times from China - hence why I am looking to purchase from Amazon.

I am just stumped as to what phone I should go for.
brettytopbanana4 m ago

Well the issue is, my Huawei P10 lite is only 7 months old and that has …Well the issue is, my Huawei P10 lite is only 7 months old and that has given up the ghost almost, the phone I had before that was the same. The issue I have is having a phone that is worth 400- 500 that can still give up after 9 months as I have experienced. I wouldn't mind spending up to £200 on a phone that has a decent enough spec but only lasts 9-12 months. It is a tricky one but I don't value my phones half as much as I used to so something middle of the road will do me fine. If I had time I would go for a xiaomi but I cannot wait for the delivery times from China - hence why I am looking to purchase from Amazon.I am just stumped as to what phone I should go for.

I have the oukitel k10000pro £170 on Amazon, £130 on gearbest.
I'm happy with it.
will take a look at that. Cheers
Buy an iPhone X sell it in a year for £700 boom £300 for a top of a range phone!
How about an umidigi crystal, I used it for a while now and it has never let me down. Worth a go
I did watch some reviews about the umidigi Crystal and I have to say it looks fantastic but the reviews about the camera were awful...is it really that bad?
I have always bought Chinese phones with very little problems and most are under £100 ( mainly due to special offers) all are dual sims but as stated some of the cameras are not very good with the exception of the Xiaomi range of phones which have very good cameras, the only reason I changed phones was for higher specs but found Xiaoms with twin 4G sims are now over my budget so my latest phone is a umidigi power 2 with its 4gb + 64Gb and dual 4g Sims plus it super long battery life and fast charge is ideal for me but camera not as good as the the Xiaomi.
I just bought a Xiaomi A1 waiting for delivery
oliverkennedy1034 m ago

I just bought a Xiaomi A1 waiting for delivery

Where did you purchase from? If it is from China, what are the chances of you getting hit with import taxes?
Edited by: "brettytopbanana" 29th Dec 2017
LeTV LeEco Le Max 2 X820 From £119.83 However I paid extra to get one from there German warehouse, took about a week but costs £140.57.

It's faster than a Samsung S7!.

You can opt for shipping insurance and return to EU for a small fee on checkout too. So for under £150 you'll have a pretty decent mobile. Although as default on Android 6.0, There are plenty of aftermarket roms available, It's also band 20 so 4G is not a problem :).
Edited by: ".MUFC." 29th Dec 2017
.MUFC.26 m ago

LeTV LeEco Le Max 2 X820 From £119.83 However I paid extra to get one from …LeTV LeEco Le Max 2 X820 From £119.83 However I paid extra to get one from there German warehouse, took about a week but costs £140.57.It's faster than a Samsung S7!.You can opt for shipping insurance and return to EU for a small fee on checkout too. So for under £150 you'll have a pretty decent mobile. Although as default on Android 6.0, There are plenty of aftermarket roms available, It's also band 20 so 4G is not a problem :).

I do like that but the only thing that puts me off is the top of the phone - the forehead I think they call it. I guess I want something different. Again, thanks for the suggestion, will defo look into that more though.
brettytopbanana6 h, 46 m ago

Where did you purchase from? If it is from China, what are the chances of …Where did you purchase from? If it is from China, what are the chances of you getting hit with import taxes?

All depends on how they send it and if you're lucky depending if you get taxed or not but still waiting for it to come but looks like a decent phone for the price
Surprised your Huawei P10 is dying on you. Huawei phones are usually very reliable. If it's only 7 months old contact Huawei customer services as I'm sure they will repair/replace it. I have an honor7, 2 years old, and I'm switching to sim only as I'm so happy with it.
As for buying a Chinese phone, I can't offer advice there, except to say that Huawei are a Chinese manufacturer. You pay your money and you take your chances. Good luck.
well I have opted for the Maze Alpha. It is a little on the heavy side but the majority of reviews are good and I managed to get it for £160 delivered from Amazon...it arrives tomorrow.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions