Which combi boiler?

Found 16th Jan 2016
I'm looking to replace our 15 year old Vokera Linea AG Plus boiler. It's proving very difficult to decide which would be the best replacement. I'm looking at:

Baxi Duo-Tec 40he
Vaillant ecoTEC exclusive 38kW
Worcester Bosch Greenstar CDi Classic 38
Vokera Unica 1

There's a wide range opinions online complicated by the fact that most of the boiler manufactureres seem to take part in kickback schemes with installers. My impressions so far are that Vokera is cheap but with reliability issues, Vaillant OK but slightly more expensive, Worcester Bosch has the best consumer ratings but over-hyped, over-priced and plasticky, and finally Baxi which is middle of the road price & quality-wise, bulky but has the possible advantage of a stainless steel heat exchanger whereas the others have aluminium heat exchangers which don't last as long. Any experts out there?

Also, is it worth getting a magnetic filter fitted or are they like snake oil?

Thanks!
Community Updates
AskBoiler
35 Comments
Intergas Eco RF.
themorgatron

Intergas Eco RF.

seconded - my Intergas Compact HRE has not missed a beat in the last 4.5 years

EliTom
elitom

seconded - my Intergas Compact HRE has not missed a beat in the last 4.5 … seconded - my Intergas Compact HRE has not missed a beat in the last 4.5 yearsEliTom

Have u seen price of intergas replacement parts.
Go vaillant I would suggest or baxi if budgeting. I wouldn't recommend vokera.
U can go for magnetic filter but it more important to keep the correct amount of inhibitor in the system which prevents corrosion from the start making the magnetic filter redundant.
Edited by: "kash2013" 16th Jan 2016
Re the filter, I used to get problems with my the valve under my water tank getting gunky but none since fitting one. I do think British Gas overcharged me a bit though
I have a Worcester Greenstar 24i Jr which has been installed around 8 years now, never been the slightest bit of trouble and is still running as good as day one.

The other property has a Valliant EcoTec which has been in around 6 years, much quieter than the WB and seems to be better constructed internally, but we have had a couple of internal leaks which seemed a nightmare for British Gas to sort under their home care.
kash2013

Have u seen price of intergas replacement parts. Go vaillant I would … Have u seen price of intergas replacement parts. Go vaillant I would suggest or baxi if budgeting. I wouldn't recommend vokera. U can go for magnetic filter but it more important to keep the correct amount of inhibitor in the system which prevents corrosion from the start making the magnetic filter redundant.

yep - but when they do not break down as they only have 4 moving (service) parts it is less of an issue. I would rather have a reliable boiler than an unreliable boiler with cheap spares!

and the new Eco RF has a ten year warranty

EliTom
elitom

yep - but when they do not break down as they only have 4 moving … yep - but when they do not break down as they only have 4 moving (service) parts it is less of an issue. I would rather have a reliable boiler than an unreliable boiler with cheap spares!and the new Eco RF has a ten year warrantyEliTom

They do break down and when they do they expensive to fix is what I'm trying to point out. I was a fan of intergas but over the years there no longer the first recommend boiler by myself.
kash2013

Have u seen price of intergas replacement parts. Go vaillant I would … Have u seen price of intergas replacement parts. Go vaillant I would suggest or baxi if budgeting. I wouldn't recommend vokera. U can go for magnetic filter but it more important to keep the correct amount of inhibitor in the system which prevents corrosion from the start making the magnetic filter redundant.

Their spares are competitive to all the major manufacturers.

Vaillant have been caught sending letters to people claiming there boilers (already Vaillant) need replacing at less than 10 years old. Not a company I would ever entertain.

A lot of countries don't even bother with inhibitor simply because it isn't needed (although I still use it). YouA magnetic filter will pick up any crap that is already in an existing system (a system will still need thoroughly cleaning).
I have the baxi after fifteen years with a separate water and hearing boiler [old house] and after two years still can't fathom how far my bills gave plummeted.
Edited by: "willhay555" 16th Jan 2016
Have you looked at the ideal vogue 40? We had the Baxi, which developed faults only days after installation. The ideal vogue comes with 7-10 year warranty.
probably baxi is best bet if its 300/400 pounds less than the Worcester Bosch valliant probably wont last longer than 5 year's it starts leaking from different area's inside, also remember anything could go wrong all come with warranty some may come with 7/10 years if you bother servicing it then get one of. them otherwise baxi/mains which are probably the same as each other i forgot theres another cheap but half decent one
what size is ur property is it 4 bedrooms or with kore than 1 bathroom as they are quite large sizes u r looking at
I have a vaillant and its run nearly 5 years without a pip. And not serviced either.
38kw is huge, presuming either large house or you like being near the equator.
Original Poster

Mermoo

Have you looked at the ideal vogue 40? We had the Baxi, which developed … Have you looked at the ideal vogue 40? We had the Baxi, which developed faults only days after installation. The ideal vogue comes with 7-10 year warranty.

I think Baxi and Ideal might be the same company
Edited by: "dwl99" 16th Jan 2016
Original Poster
muddassarsardar

what size is ur property is it 4 bedrooms or with kore than 1 bathroom as … what size is ur property is it 4 bedrooms or with kore than 1 bathroom as they are quite large sizes u r looking at

4 bedroom older property with 2 shower-dwelling daughters
dwl99

​no in pretty sure baxi and Main's are the same ideal is different the other cheap but quite decent is biasi unless they've put price's up recently
First question is what size gas feed do you have?
Normally 38 and over would require a 28mm feed. Not always but usually.
Is upgrading the gas pipe going to be an issue?

I'm not going to say choose this boiler or that as with the top brands there is not a massive difference. The most important thing is than it is fitted correctly. Then you should have many years of reliable service.
I've been looking at the worchester 42cdi as I want to run the shower and ensuite at the same time. Why wouldn't you get you boiler serviced ? Doesn't it invalidate your warranty ?
muddassarsardar

​no in pretty sure baxi and Main's are the same ideal is different the o … ​no in pretty sure baxi and Main's are the same ideal is different the other cheap but quite decent is biasi unless they've put price's up recently

Baxi, main, potterton are all the same co. U can go for a main boiler its all baxi but just a different badge
kester76

I've been looking at the worchester 42cdi as I want to run the shower and … I've been looking at the worchester 42cdi as I want to run the shower and ensuite at the same time. Why wouldn't you get you boiler serviced ? Doesn't it invalidate your warranty ?

You want an unventd cylinder, or if you really must bodge it with a combi get an Atag (because of the preheated incoming cold).

Just remember Worcester are the most difficult boiler on the market to repair. They spend a fortune on advertising, relying on their previous good name.
themorgatron

You want an unventd cylinder, or if you really must bodge it with a combi … You want an unventd cylinder, or if you really must bodge it with a combi get an Atag (because of the preheated incoming cold).Just remember Worcester are the most difficult boiler on the market to repair. They spend a fortune on advertising, relying on their previous good name.

and the fact they are / used to be the preferred supplier to BG - says it all really !

EliTom
Original Poster
GAVINLEWISHUKD

First question is what size gas feed do you have? Normally 38 and over … First question is what size gas feed do you have? Normally 38 and over would require a 28mm feed. Not always but usually. Is upgrading the gas pipe going to be an issue?I'm not going to say choose this boiler or that as with the top brands there is not a massive difference. The most important thing is than it is fitted correctly. Then you should have many years of reliable service.

The gas feed is undersize but I will be getting a new supply fitted as part of the job
dwl99

I don't think so - Groupe Atlantic own Ideal, BDR Therma own Baxi.
how about a Viessman
more expensive but one of best around and 10 year warranty generally
themorgatron

You want an unventd cylinder, or if you really must bodge it with a combi … You want an unventd cylinder, or if you really must bodge it with a combi get an Atag (because of the preheated incoming cold).Just remember Worcester are the most difficult boiler on the market to repair. They spend a fortune on advertising, relying on their previous good name.

Thanks for the reply. Not good news I thought they were supposed to be the most reliable. My boiler at the moment is a iIdeal Classic LX which is plumbed into a heatstore. We need the space so are trying to get rid of the storage tank as our cold water pressure is very high and our kitchen is more of a kitchenette. I use servicing so part expensive isn't an issue.
I would say go for a Worcester Bosch, we had one installed 9 years ago, and apart from a small leaking part this year (£150 all in) its been fantastic, ensuite shower, hot water, boiler, several radiators - best boiler I have ever seen, mind you it wasnt the cheap end of the market but the peace of mind over the years has been well worth it. Wish I could take it with me when I move next year.
if u need a full kit including piping and rads u can try mrcentralheating it usually does quite Good price's
Worcester Bosch is by far the most reliable
madmax666

Worcester Bosch is by far the most reliable

Any proof of this? I fit and repair boilers for a living. They are middle of the road for reliability, although they do probably have the best after sales service.

If you ever have to replace a part in a Worcester (often necessitating the whole boiler being taken off the wall) you will curse them. Don't believe the massive advertising budget, and the installers who rely on their 'reputation' to improve their own credentials.
Original Poster
themorgatron

Any proof of this? I fit and repair boilers for a living. They are middle … Any proof of this? I fit and repair boilers for a living. They are middle of the road for reliability, although they do probably have the best after sales service.If you ever have to replace a part in a Worcester (often necessitating the whole boiler being taken off the wall) you will curse them. Don't believe the massive advertising budget, and the installers who rely on their 'reputation' to improve their own credentials.

That was the impression I had formed from my browsing - over-rated and over-priced

+1 for Veissman. We had a Vitodens 222-F floor standing boiler installed 4 years ago by an approved Viessman installer. Works great especially with the weather compensation sensor. The savings our gas bills were significant as well.

mrwhitelabel

how about a Viessmanmore expensive but one of best around and 10 year … how about a Viessmanmore expensive but one of best around and 10 year warranty generally

Original Poster
themorgatron

Intergas Eco RF.

These look like quality boilers but I would be concerned about availability of parts given that they seem to be a very small manufacturer
dwl99

These look like quality boilers but I would be concerned about … These look like quality boilers but I would be concerned about availability of parts given that they seem to be a very small manufacturer

That might of been a problem 10 years ago before internet merchants, now any part for any boiler can be found and delivered within a couple of days. Intergas Platinum installers will be able to get any part next day courtesy of their local rep.

Unless you go for the 200 range avoid Viessmann, decent boilers but massively overpriced.
themorgatron

Any proof of this? I fit and repair boilers for a living. They are middle … Any proof of this? I fit and repair boilers for a living. They are middle of the road for reliability, although they do probably have the best after sales service.If you ever have to replace a part in a Worcester (often necessitating the whole boiler being taken off the wall) you will curse them. Don't believe the massive advertising budget, and the installers who rely on their 'reputation' to improve their own credentials.

That is what a few installers have told me and Worcester Bosch have won the Which Best buy award for 6th consecutive year but as you install them you will know miles better than me
trouble i find with installers opinions (and i am not talking about you) is they seem to push their own brands more therfore you never get a unbiased opinion

if i was to ask you now what boiler would you recommend as i know you are not going to try the big sell with the one you install as im never going to be a customer of yours (that is the problem with asking local installers)

Edited by: "madmax666" 17th Jan 2016
Original Poster
I think I'll go for the Baxi Duo-Tec 40he - it's a good balance of quality, size, price and easy availability of parts. I found quite a good article comparing WB & Baxi at mrcentralheating.co.uk/blo…ers
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants