Which compact camera for around £500-550?

Found 8th MayEdited by:"Andrew_Mclean"
Hi, I'm looking for some advice.
I have ordered the following camera from Jessops £249 after cash back: jessops.com/p/p…613 edit: I have now cancelled this... My budget has increased.

The features I was looking for in a camera must have the following:
1. Must be compact, small enough to carry around in my pocket
2. Retain most configuring features found on standard sized DSLR
3. Good in low light conditions.
4. Have a viewfinder for bright conditions.
This camera seems to tick all the boxes...

Now I actually went in to Jessops to look at this camera yesterday and it looks nice. I played around with it a bit and it seems to suit my needs.

But looking at reviews online, a lot of review articles seem to mention the same issues.
Such as the picture qualitiy isn't very good and photos look soft using zoom. It's camera!! surely picture quality should be the best thing about it.

My question is, does anyone own one of these and what is your personal opinion of it?
Also for the money, am I better off getting something else?

The Camera should arrive for collection today or tomorrow so I'd appreciate your honest opinion.
Community Updates
AskPhoto & Video
19 Comments
Shouldn't you ask these questions BEFORE buying?
Gollywood59 m ago

Shouldn't you ask these questions BEFORE buying?

Thanks for your help tbh there wasnt much of a variation in store.
Plus I'm still waiting for it to be delivered to store
Canon g9 x mark 1 or 2 is a great camera around that amount.
I have owned and used a panasonic lumix TZ55 which is a older model this will be a big improvement on a smartphone camera to be honest if you could go to £400 a Sony A6000 which transport you to another world

This is one of the best portable cameras of 2016
allowed48 m ago

I have owned and used a panasonic lumix TZ55 which is a older model this …I have owned and used a panasonic lumix TZ55 which is a older model this will be a big improvement on a smartphone camera to be honest if you could go to £400 a Sony A6000 which transport you to another worldThis is one of the best portable cameras of 2016

Yeah the A6000 does look nice though it's a bit out of my price range and for practicality the camera would need to fit in my pocket.
I'd prefer a 1inch sensor but they're just a bit too pricey for me atm. I've also looked at the TZ100 and Sony's RX models. The Panasonic just seems to be value for money compared with those.
Thanks for your advice, much appreciated
ebay.co.uk/itm…UOB

PS, if you dont collect the camera they will have to refund you
Edited by: "allowed" 9th May
allowed9th May

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-TZ80EB-S-Compact-Camera-18-1-Mp-30x-Optical-Zoom-Silver/202308326508?epid=26003301757&hash=item2f1a84146c:g:AAkAAOSwdjha2UOBPS, if you dont collect the camera they will have to refund you

I take it a refurb from Panasonic eBay is like new?
So I cancelled my order as I don't think it'll be much of an improvement on photo quality using TZ80 over high end smart phone such as P20 pro.
I've come to the conclusion that I need to spend more to really benefit from using a dedicated camera.
The Sony RX100 m3 seems to be a very good option so think I'm just going for that.
Thank you all for your help
The Sony Sony RX100 M3 is great as had in the past. Also look out for the Canon G7X or G7X II or even the Panasonic LX15. These are a tad over your budget but if you look around various places something should be available.
speedking8 m ago

The Sony Sony RX100 M3 is great as had in the past. Also look out for the …The Sony Sony RX100 M3 is great as had in the past. Also look out for the Canon G7X or G7X II or even the Panasonic LX15. These are a tad over your budget but if you look around various places something should be available.

Thanks I have already looked at the Canon G7 m2 and price wise is around the same. Would there be any benefit getting that over the Sony? I also like the idea of the viewfinder on the Sony. I think I'd use it quite a lot in bright conditions.
speedking35 m ago

The Sony Sony RX100 M3 is great as had in the past. Also look out for the …The Sony Sony RX100 M3 is great as had in the past. Also look out for the Canon G7X or G7X II or even the Panasonic LX15. These are a tad over your budget but if you look around various places something should be available.

The LX15 is also the same price and can claim cash back on it as with the Sony.
Would it be worth getting that over the Sony as the LX15 also does 4k and post focus simulation?
I had a play around with the TZ80 in store at Jessops and the UI seemed easy enough to navigate and the touch screen was also very impressive.
Both would be a new experience for me so I don't feel the need to stick with a particular brand.
I have the latest RX100 and tried the others and found the focus on the Sony the quickest so went with that as it helped a lot with video. I very rarely use the viewfinder as it's too small but fine for sunny days or changing up the grip. For the price I'd look at the G7X M2 which fixed a lot of the shortcomings of the M1. It's under 400 at various places.
If you want to vlog, a lot of Youtubers use Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II, around £500.
decide what you want - cameras are all about compromise
you want zoom then its bigger or slower or more expensive etc
you want small then its more expensive or slower or worse in low light etc
etc etc

the fact that you are even dreaming about comparing a 30x zoom with a mobile means you dont know what you want
Edited by: "brilly" 15th May
brilly1 h, 12 m ago

decide what you want - cameras are all about compromiseyou want zoom then …decide what you want - cameras are all about compromiseyou want zoom then its bigger or slower or more expensive etcyou want small then its more expensive or slower or worse in low light etcetc etcthe fact that you are even dreaming about comparing a 30x zoom with a mobile means you dont know what you want

Low light advantages definitely yes.
x30 zoom, not too bothered about, I can compromise this. I don't really see myself using it.
"dreaming about comparing a 30x zoom with a mobile means you dont know what you want" sounds a bit aggressive but ok, I am aware mobile devices are unable to achieve this which is why I compared it to P20 pro as I wouldnt use the + x5 zoom .
No I didn't know what I wanted which is why the thread was created. I'm looking for advice from others with more experience in this field.
So it's basically a toss between Sony RX100 M3, Panasonic LX15 or Canon G7X mk2
Thanks for your help.
Edited by: "Andrew_Mclean" 15th May
I've gone for the Panasonic LX15. Should be delivered tomorrow
Do any of you use a screen protector for your camera that have touch screens at all?
!
Andrew_Mclean17 h, 19 m ago

I've gone for the Panasonic LX15. Should be delivered tomorrow Do …I've gone for the Panasonic LX15. Should be delivered tomorrow Do any of you use a screen protector for your camera that have touch screens at all?

thought you wanted a viewfinder?!
brilly1 h, 26 m ago

! thought you wanted a viewfinder?!

Tbh I think I can get by without it. I've read a few consumer reviews and they rarely use their's, finding the tilt screen more useful. As pointed out, you can't have it all so overall happy going for the LX15
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions